Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Yellow Bird or the egg?

Pages: 1 3 replies

I guess I wasn't paying attention, but Hodadhank noticed something about one of my LPs that I didn't.

Is this a pre-Yellow Bird pressing? Or what?

I

Yes, Percusssion Spectacular was the original name for this LP.

When the single 'Yellow Bird' started rising up the charts, the record label decided to gain recognition for the LP, by adding a little sticker in the shape of a flying bird to the cover - on this sticker was printed words that said something like 'Contains the hit song 'Yellow Bird'

As the song continued to rise up the charts, the record company renamed the entire LP from 'Percussion Spectacular' to 'Yellow Bird'

I belive 'Yellow Bird eventually reached the #5 position on the singles chart -the biggest single hit of Arthur Lyman's career.

Vern

I believe Vern is correct. The "Percussion Spectacular" album was the original cover but with the Yellow Bird single quickly climbing the charts they decided to change the album title to capitalize on it. This is not the first time they did this with Arthur Lyman. In fact many cover variations exist.

Check out my website to see more.....

http://www.exoteque.com/exotica/lymandiscography.html

I have some updating to do but look at the cover of Taboo 2 "without" the shrunken head cover. I guess it just grossed people out at the record stores so they changed it to another erupting volcano cover.

My favorite is the Italian pressing of Taboo (shown here)

How Tabu can you get?

Yellow Bird stayed on the Billboard charts for 10 weeks, peaking at number 4, and was to become his signature tune for the rest of his life.

Cheers,
Jeff

Thanks guys! :) I kinda figured it was because of the the popularity of the song.

Pages: 1 3 replies