Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Hot Rod Surf BBQ in San Diego with Deadbolt

Pages: 1 13 replies

A

Might be fun, unless it's raining. And then it might be even more fun, depending on what your idea of fun is:

Sunday, Dec. 17: Hot Rod Surf Hot Rodder's Barbecue IX, noon to 4 p.m., 3760 Hancock St., near the iPayOne Center. The show will feature pre-1970 hot rods, kustoms, muscle cars and choppers. Free food. Music from Deadbolt, The Bandits and the Dead Sled Demons. Information: http://www.hotrodsurf.com or (619) 688-2668.

On 2006-12-15 15:16, arriano wrote:
Might be fun, unless it's raining. And then it might be even more fun, depending on what your idea of fun is:

Sunday, Dec. 17: Hot Rod Surf Hot Rodder's Barbecue IX, noon to 4 p.m., 3760 Hancock St., near the iPayOne Center. The show will feature pre-1970 hot rods, kustoms, muscle cars and choppers. Free food. Music from Deadbolt, The Bandits and the Dead Sled Demons. Information: http://www.hotrodsurf.com or (619) 688-2668.

You should also mention that Tiki Land is in the same parking lot. Oh wait, I just did.

Nuts, this is a big Sunday. SD Chop Chop at Buzzy's, Floyd Landis' step(?)father's memorial ride is at the velodrome and a Deadbolt show.

We could move the chop chop to the tikiland/hotrod surf parking lot. Carve in the morning, take a break to watch Deadbolt. I've got some pull with those guys over at tikiland.
Rain's probably going to ruin the carving part anyway...
Buzzy

For those unaware, Deadbolt is a ripping band. Their one track "Tiki Man" is/was up for consideration on the "then to be/soon never to be" Tiki Tunes cd. They're worth a listenin'.
Holden

On 2006-12-15 23:13, MakeDaMug wrote:
For those unaware, Deadbolt is a ripping band. Their one track "Tiki Man" is/was up for consideration on the "then to be/soon never to be" Tiki Tunes cd. They're worth a listenin'.
Holden

They ARE great. I have been going to shows since '90. Ooof. 90, 91, 92, 93....only about five years. :)

A

Deadbolt's a legend in this town. I can still remember ('88?) when they didn't have any words to their songs and played at the old Texas Teahouse to an empty room.

On 2006-12-16 15:50, arriano wrote:
Deadbolt's a legend in this town. I can still remember ('88?) when they didn't have any words to their songs and played at the old Texas Teahouse to an empty room.

I've got the cassette somewhere. It was hit and miss back then. If it wasn't the Casbah then it wasn't really happenin. I remember a empty show at that fake snow covered place on El Cajon Blvd west of SDSU. Glad I'm not as old as you. :) Or I wish I was as hip as you in highschool.

Signature? I ain't signin nothin!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2006-12-16 17:10 ]

A

On 2006-12-16 17:08, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:

On 2006-12-16 15:50, arriano wrote:

I've got the cassette somewhere. It was hit and miss back then. If it wasn't the Casbah then it wasn't really happenin. I remember a empty show at that fake snow covered place on El Cajon Blvd west of SDSU. Glad I'm not as old as you. :) Or I wish I was as hip as you in highschool.

Signature? I ain't signin nothin!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2006-12-16 17:10 ]

OK, now I'll really date myself. Was that place called something like Chicago Mining Company?

OK, now I'll really date myself. Was that place called something like Chicago Mining Company?

Not when I knew it. If it was ever that. Across the street was the first Living Room coffee shop I think.

N

This might be a little off topic but, I remember going to Texas Teahouse (Ocean Beach) in the early '90s to see Deep in the Shed and 9000 lbs with Tommy Geck and Petey X (Rocket from the Crypt). Did anyone out there see any of those bands?

Found a pic of Deadbolt using power tools.

And the Tikiman cover.

A

Did anyone go besides me? The turnout was a little less than I expected (probably due to weather, etc.) but there were some cool machines, good food and great music. Fortunately or unfortunately I ended dropping nearly $100 at Tikiland while I was hanging around.

I did make it. I only saw two tikis.

More pics in "Beyond"

TF

Deadbolt... Yea yea aaaaaaa. Deadbolt!

Pages: 1 13 replies