Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Get-together at Hula's in Santa Cruz - Sat, 12/23

Pages: 1 27 replies

H

Let's get together to celebrate the embarassment of tiki riches we have in Nor Cal, at the newest jewel in the crown: Hula's in Santa Cruz. It's in a great location -- folks from Monterey to San Jose to Palo Alto can make it there pretty easily, and it's well worth the trip for folks from points beyond throughout the Bay Area. Hanford & I checked it out last night, and we loved it (I posted a trip report in the Locating Tiki thread for Hula's).

Here's the address:
221 Cathcart St.
Santa Cruz, CA

And here's a tantalizing preview:

More photos here: http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/hulassc/

Who would be able to make it for dinner & drinks on Friday, 12/22? Or Saturday, 12/23? (That's a week from now).

If you can't make it on one of those days, but you wish you could, go ahead & offer up another date that will work for you (the variations in everyone's schedules, combined with the holidays, might mean we can't find a date that will work for everyone, but we can try).

[Edited to include Saturday as a possible date]

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2006-12-15 21:34 ]

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2006-12-21 01:45 ]

is the 23rd out of the question? it would work better for cleen and i. i have to work friday. if not, what time are you guys thinking of meeting up? i might be able to take a half day off.

J

I am dying to try out Hula's. However, that day would not be good for me. I would prefer the 29th or 30th. Too much to do and too much traffic the Friday before Christmas.

H

Saturday would work for us, but I think it wouldn't work for Tofu Joe & Haole'akamai (she works that night, I believe), and Unga might be working (not sure, but he's had to miss out on Saturday stuff in the past, it would suck for him to miss a rare event in his own backyard). Traffic would definitely be better on Saturday, though, with no rush hour to contend with, and it might allow some folks to drive up from So Cal (which would be awesome).

I am in for whenevs and might be able to host a little get together before hand depending on date we settle on.

Chongolio

Mrs.Mojo & Dr.TikiMojo would be able to do it on Saturday the 23rd.....it's literally the last remaining day on our calender that isn't already penciled in! :o

Any new Tiki Bar/Restaurant in about 2 hour drive or less sounds pretty exciting to us!

I def. can't make it on Sat, but TofuJoe is a possible. It would be sad to know y'all were there without me, tho... :(

Wallowing in my abandonment issues,
~T

CL

The 22nd or 23rd would potentially work best for us.

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2006-12-16 13:42 ]

H

Just heard back from Monsieur Bunga, and he can make it Friday, but not on Saturday.

Drunken Hat, I never answered your question about what time -- I think aiming a bit later in the evening, to avoid traffic, would be best. If it was later, would you be able to make it Friday night? Right along Hwy 17, there's a massive Christmas light display (in Los Gatos). Perhaps those of us who are able to meet up a bit earlier can hit the lights first, and then head over a bit later to meet up at Hula's? Now, where's my thermos...

M

23rd could workd for us, but not 22nd. crappy!

well i'm out for sure! can't take any part of friday off. (isn't it nice to be needed) saturday is out for us as well just because of traffic. cleen may still make it on friday if it happens on that day.

Wish I could make it too, but already have our Holiday Open House for the neighborhood planned on Saturday. Friday eve will be time to clean the house and prep the food!

Darn! I will definitely watch for another time! Have fun!!

• Myke
J

There's a good chance we'll be in Santa Cruz on the 23rd, for sure we'll arrive the next day. But if it's the 23rd we'll try to make it down. My mother was just telling me about this place. When I was a kid it was a chinese restaurant that we used to go to.
-Sam

T

Well it looks like we can't make either of these days.

Have a great time on whichever day you settle on, and we'll be sure to meet up with folks down there some other time (it will become a regular trip yes?)

H

Sorry we haven't been able to nail this down just yet -- I'm now getting conflicting reports about Unga Bunga's availability. Last I heard, he may be able to make it Saturday after all, and it looks now like Saturday will be a better day for turnout in general. Sorry to keep everyone hanging -- hopefully I'll hear back from Unga myself soon!

H

Alright -- I've heard from Unga Bunga, and we're a go for SATURDAY -- I'll call tomorrow to make a reservation (or at least warn them there's a tiki-lovin' storm a-brewin'). It'd be a huge help if those who will be there can chime in so we have something headcount-ish. I'll post again soon with the specific time once I've talked to Hula's, but it'll be Saturday evening.

T

How late do you think you'll be staying?

Count me in for Sat.

Chongolio

H

I just talked to Chris at Hula's, and we're set for 7:30 Saturday night (he's setting us up in the Tiki Room).

Now that we've got a final date & time, please give a quick final yay or nay here on this thread. Even though Hula's is new, they're jampacked every night of the week -- Chris will be able to make room for us and make sure we have a great time, but it'll go a lot smoother if we can do our part by letting him know what to expect ahead of time.

Looking forward to seeing everybody this Saturday!

H

On 2006-12-21 10:42, TofuJoe wrote:
How late do you think you'll be staying?

You know Hanford & me -- there's a good chance we'll be there 'til they kick us out. We'll probably be there pretty late. I forgot to ask Chris what time they close.

M

My better half and I will be there.

Have fun my brothers and sisters. I won't be out but I'll be thinking of the fun I'm missing. Although we will be having a little shindig here with family and friends.
Merry Christmas!

Mrs.Mojo & I will be there!

It may be our last Tiki shindig for 2006!

We plan to make a Tiki Day of it though and go by way of San Jose, stopping at the Tiki bar at the San Jose before it's gone and I think there was one other! :D

Just spoke with Bamzeno and he is gonna pop over too, so add another monkey to the head count.
See ya Tommorrow!

Chongolio

J

Won't make it at 7:30 for sure but hoping to come by later.
-Sam

H

I just called Hula's with our final head count of 14 (they're expecting a bit of plus-or-minus with that number, so if you're deciding to come at the last-minute, come on down and join us). They're open 'til 11 or later, depending on business.

Here's the address:

221 Cathcart St.
Santa Cruz, CA

It's just off Pacific, on the south side of Cathcart -- you can't miss it.

See you all tonight, at 7:30!

It was so great to see everybody last night! The food was delicious, and the company was even better. Thanks for having us over, Chongolio! My schlumpy Coco Joe's Lono is very happy in his new home. I don't have time today to pull out all the great photos (gotta get ready for family tomorrow), but I have got all my pics up on my photo site:

http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/tchulas/

Let's do it again soon!

What fun, what fun! I for one had a great time but was payin' for it the next day. The new Hula's looks great, the food tasty and our waitress Hanna was friendly and did a great job. It was really cool to hang out with everybody again in my area code and to have do a little entertainin' back at the lost-Isle. Let do it again real! Here are a couple of my pics. You want more? Visit Barefoot Bloggin'

Hanford teachin' the kids a the right way to play patty cake

Unga goes to Heaven

Onatiki's gigantic lamp

Martiki can crush your skull with his barehands.

Chongolio

BTW...Friends tell friends when they have stuff in their teeth :(

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

[ Edited by: chongolio 2007-01-18 22:19 ]

Pages: 1 27 replies