Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Free Downloadable Tiki Central Prints! Artists needed...

Pages: 1 40 replies

H

How about some downloadable TC prints? The catch is, we need some budding artists to get in and design some. A few artists on here have done this previously (with their own work), so Im stealing their idea... :)

And don’t get me wrong, doesn’t have to be painting/sketch etc. Could also be in the form of a cool picture of a home bar, tiki carving, tiki mug, or even just a crystal white beach or tropical green jungle etc etc.

A lot of you folks make money from stuff featured on TC, this is a nice way of giving something back.

I was thinking of having them available in a pdf format. That way you can have maximum clarity with minimal file size. It would be great to have the TC logo on them too. Can anyone proficient with photoshop help with this aspect, and convert them to pdf?

Hanford has given the general idea the okay, but I haven't sussed out the full details of how this might work, so suggestions are welcome.

So, who's in?

H
hewey posted on Sun, Dec 17, 2006 1:43 PM

One artists has PMd me with interest already... :)

Anyone else?

I'd like to be involved, happy to put a peice together. Is there a theme/direction you're looking for?

What's your deadline?

Can also help with the watermarking/branding in photoshop and making the pdf [balancing file size and quality].

PM or reply.

Cheers

F

I'd be interested in doing something for this. Any rules and regulations? I don't want to create something that is going to be abused.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Dec 18, 2006 5:44 PM

Basically, this idea came from not having anything TC related at home. Ive got artist prints, mugs from bars, carvings from carvers, exotica records - but Ive got nothing from TC at home. Yet for many of us, TC is our main source of tiki goodness. So I thought how good would it be to have a TC print? A couple of guys on here offered free prints, and I really liked that. The natural progression from that is there are plenty of talented artists on TC, why not have multiple prints and get folks to contribute? That way people can chose a print to their taste, or get all of them.

Thats the idea behind it. The rest I am trying to work out as I go along... :)

So guidelines - no timeline on this, whenever you get a chance. As far as content - it should reflect TC and feature the TC website address or logo clearly. Basically, use the TC guidelines on the about TC page. That still leaves a pretty big range to draw inspiration from! The idea is that by featuring multiple artists work, we get a range of ideas for the prints. If you are unable to inlcude the TC logo (eg. you use a photo) we will work out getting one photoshopped in or something.

A carver might use a nice action pic of carving a log or one of their finished pieces in the garden, a collector might submit a pic of their tiki room with all of their mugs, a mixologist might take pics of their coolest cocktails, or it could even be pics from a contemporary bar or pics from your holiday to the South Pacific (with a nice white sandy beach), or the artists can just paint something up.

Does this help clear it up a little?

As I said, Im still working this out... suggestions, advice and help are welcome!

Can also help with the watermarking/branding in photoshop and making the pdf [balancing file size and quality].

That would be great Tikiracer :)

Kustom Kahoona* - Tiki and Hot Rod Art by Hewey*

[ Edited by: hewey 2006-12-18 17:46 ]

H
hewey posted on Wed, Dec 20, 2006 2:18 PM

Woohoo, Ive got a 4 or so artists on the case :) Ill keep people posted with updates :)

I'm late to the party as usual...:wink:

I'd like to get involved in some way too. You can take a peek at some of my stuff (including two pieces containing tiki), at my website:

http://www.cm-id.com

H
hewey posted on Fri, Dec 22, 2006 2:43 PM

On 2006-12-22 12:51, Dr. Bamboo wrote:
I'm late to the party as usual...:wink:

I'd like to get involved in some way too. You can take a peek at some of my stuff (including two pieces containing tiki), at my website:

http://www.cm-id.com

Mate, I counted 3 with tikis :)

Some very nice work there, welcome to TC too!

I see in the new members thread you've poked around here a bit already. Keep poking around (theres no time limit for these) and when you've got some ideas/concepts Private Message me (so we can make sure we dont have multiple artists doing the same thing). Sweet :)

Is it possible for someone to supply a high rez version of the TC logo for us Photoshoppers?
This sounds like a lot of fun!!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Dec 27, 2006 8:43 PM

On 2006-12-27 19:16, Lukeulele wrote:
Is it possible for someone to supply a high rez version of the TC logo for us Photoshoppers?
This sounds like a lot of fun!!

Ive asked hanford for a high res logo, I think hes looking for it now (check underneath the couch cushions mate! :) ).

Welcome aboard matey! :)

F

I was going to ask if he had an Illustrator based version of the logo too. I'm thinking up ideas, and working on sketches (okay not really, but I'm planning on working on sketches after this weekend) Hopefully we'll have somethign for the TC Ohana soon. Back to the grindstone.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Dec 28, 2006 2:53 PM

I PMd Hanford in regards to Illustrator based logo...

And we are up to 8 artists involved :) :) :) But more welcome!

Hi guys,

This is a really cool project Hewey is doing; sorry I've been so slow to get the hi-res logo uploaded. I do not have it as an illustrator file but I do have it in a Photoshop file done with Photoshop's vector tools, so it is resizable. I hope to have it uploaded soon.

Hanford

Soooo, like we email the file to you Hewey, after we stick on the High rez logo? How big should these files be? Are YOU printing them out, or will it be a downloadable file that the TC folks can print out themselves?

H
hewey posted on Thu, Dec 28, 2006 9:55 PM

On 2006-12-28 21:45, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
Soooo, like we email the file to you Hewey, after we stick on the High rez logo? How big should these files be? Are YOU printing them out, or will it be a downloadable file that the TC folks can print out themselves?

At this stage I was looking at Tikiracer to handle the tech side of things. My original idea was to get the logo to him, so he can add them in as needed. From the sounds of it, Hanford will make the logo available to everyone, so if you are able to put it in, do so. As far as the file size Im not sure what Tikiracer can handle as far as converting to pdf. Obviously the higher res, the better the print. It will be a downloadable file so everyone can print one themselves, for nothing. Yes I will be printing them out too - for myself! :)

ST

Since we will now have that ability to capture some of the great art on here for FREE, I have a question. It would be all well and good for me to print this stuff out on my home printer but can you take a file to somewhere like Kinko's and get a higher quality printing, maybe on some sort of art stock type paper?

I haven't seen seen any art yet and I can already picture my world improving!

T

I probably would have to do a out of house print place too cause I switched to a new printer and it bites. Too cheap and I do like to print out reference photos. It's just not good enough.

But yes, you can always email the photos to where ever you want or bring on any form of storage, but I don't know what the highest quality prints look like from the print shop.

D

How about giclee prints? How and where can you get those done?

H
hewey posted on Fri, Dec 29, 2006 2:56 PM

On 2006-12-29 06:47, Surf tiki wrote:
Since we will now have that ability to capture some of the great art on here for FREE, I have a question. It would be all well and good for me to print this stuff out on my home printer but can you take a file to somewhere like Kinko's and get a higher quality printing, maybe on some sort of art stock type paper?

We dont have Kinko's down here, so I dont know what theyre like. But as TeaKEY said, most print places will accept images in file format - be it on disc or CD, emailed, or USB drive/flash disk/jump drive thingy. And yes many of these places will have nice paper and high quality printing. Shop around, all of them should have display samples of different papers and print qualities.

I haven't seen seen any art yet and I can already picture my world improving!

Ah yes, someone gets it :)

How about giclee prints? How and where can you get those done?

I dont know who in the states does this, and all that. As I said above, shop around.

Kustom Kahoona* - Tiki and Hot Rod Art by Hewey*

[ Edited by: hewey 2006-12-29 14:59 ]

On 2006-12-29 06:47, Surf tiki wrote:

Yes, you will be able to do this! I have done many 11" X 17" posters for bands and my magazine. As long as the artwork was created at 300dpi and at the actual print size, it will come out awesome. I do all my stuff at Staples, but Kinkos and Office Max and places like that will be able to do it also.
Just a thought, but it may be wise to keep all the artwork at a consistent size (such as 11" X 17") because that is the largest size most print shops can do on their color copiers. Anything bigger will probably cost a lot more too!
This is gonna be cool!!!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Dec 31, 2006 4:39 PM

On 2006-12-29 17:27, Lukeulele wrote:
Just a thought, but it may be wise to keep all the artwork at a consistent size (such as 11" X 17") because that is the largest size most print shops can do on their color copiers. Anything bigger will probably cost a lot more too!

Standard size sounds like a good idea, 11" X 17" sounds good too.

Hewey,
Is this kind of what you had in mind? If so, who should I send the high rez file to?
I'm working on another one, but it might take a while longer.

[ Edited by: Lukeulele 2007-05-05 11:50 ]

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully 2007-02-02 22:38 ]

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jan 1, 2007 5:39 PM

On 2006-12-31 22:40, Lukeulele wrote:
Hewey,
Is this kind of what you had in mind? If so, who should I send the high rez file to?

Thats cool man :) Tikiracer had offered to convert to pdf, I will PM to check this out with him.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jan 2, 2007 2:43 AM

On 2007-01-01 17:39, hewey wrote:

On 2006-12-31 22:40, Lukeulele wrote:
Hewey,

Thats cool man :) Tikiracer had offered to convert to pdf, I will PM to check this out with him.

I think I PM'd everybody with Tikiracers details. Im sure I PMd some people multiple times, and I might have missed someone. If I missed you let me know and I will PM ya his details.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) Happy, Happy, Happy! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Hey, am I too late? I have a photo that I would like to submit. I've got the Racer's contact info. So, I'll just shoot him the image.

Great idea!
Chris
http://www.tikichris.com

F

We are working on ours and hope to have something by the end of this weekend. Looking forward to seeing everones stuff.

Hewey, has hanford given you a copy of the logo yet?

Hi Hewey,

I am fairly new to Tiki Central, but would love to create an illustration also!
Is there still time? Is there a deadline?

Here's a link to see some of my art(pics on both pages)
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=22363&forum=18&23&PHPSESSID=ba481f203c1b9f4288731d1d7871aee1

Thanks!

H

On 2007-01-10 04:11, Tiki Chris wrote:
Hey, am I too late? I have a photo that I would like to submit. I've got the Racer's contact info. So, I'll just shoot him the image.

No time limit mate, yeh just send it direct to him. Sounds cool :)

Hewey, has hanford given you a copy of the logo yet?

Nah, he's been pretty busy (as everyone is recovering after christmas and new years). He might have sent it to Tikiracer though. Ill chase him up

I am fairly new to Tiki Central, but would love to create an illustration also!
Is there still time? Is there a deadline?

There is no deadline, so I think you should have enough time :) Ill PM ya da racers contact details.

L

Will the artwork be posted in this thread, or elsewhere?
Can't wait to get my grubby mitts on some cool prints!!

H
hewey posted on Mon, May 7, 2007 5:03 PM

Sorry for the big delay, I know a few people are really keen to get some prints. I’m one of them! :D

Is anyone able to assist with converting the images from ‘jpg’ to ‘pdf’ format? The person I had lined up is unable to do it.

H
hewey posted on Mon, May 7, 2007 6:55 PM

I've had a couple of fols PM me and say they are able to help - thanks folks :D

Sorting out the details, but will post here and PM people when we've got it sussed

:D

UJ

I don't have the time to volunteer to convert them for you, but if you are still taking submissions, I would like to send you a few pieces. I just need to get some clean shots &/or scan them.

T

I do computer support & web design.

I'm not really sure that the .pdf format is the best way to go. Anytime graphics are sent to the printers it has to be in either high res .jpg or in Photoshop format. I would understand if you were emailing the images and needed to keep them small for mail servers, etc. I would just keep the images in .jpg format and rotate them out once a month or something. That way we would get a good image for printing and space wouldn't be an issue. Also, people could use them as wallpaper on their computers this way if they didn't want to print them.

I have a full version of Adobe Acrobat if you decide differently. I would be happy to help.

wow! this is a very cool idea. i just found it. amazing how much cool stuff i miss on here. i 'd love to do something up for this, could you send me the contact info? thanks, Hewey.

ST

Whatever happened to this brilliant project?

ST

H
hewey posted on Tue, Oct 23, 2007 7:13 PM

On 2007-10-23 08:25, Surf tiki wrote:
Whatever happened to this brilliant project?

Nothing :( I got a 2nd job and got super busy with that, haven’t had time to chase this up. Kick me in the ass and tell me to get in and do something!

OH yea, I remember this project.

ST

Okay, but you asked for it.

I just repainted my dining room (which is all I have to pass of as my tiki space) and need some new artwork.

ST

Bumpity bump. Empty walls and empty wallet(damn kids)!!

I started getting exicted about this, then I started looking at the date stamps. It is such a great idea for us poor tikiphiles.

Pages: 1 40 replies