Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

strange tikis

Pages: 1 4 replies

It is been awhile since I found them at an antique store. A month maybe. They could be gone.
They are strange. I don't really want to buy them as I am trying to carve tikis myself.
Does anyone recognise them?? I am told they are from the Caribbean.

This one below has two sides. Not sure which would be front or back.

F
foamy posted on Thu, Dec 21, 2006 5:40 AM

One thing is for sure, they don't want anyone sitting on 'em! I thought that first one was a drill bit for some kind of well. Any reason that you know of for the embedded (for lack of a better term) shards?

This may sound mean, but to me these are (to quote master of Oceanic sarcasm Paul Theroux talking about tourist carvings) "nameless pieces of hacked wood".

On 2006-12-21 12:24, bigbrotiki wrote:
This may sound mean, but to me these are (to quote master of Oceanic sarcasm Paul Theroux talking about tourist carvings) "nameless pieces of hacked wood".

Yeah, I was sorta thinking the same thing myself. There are SO many TC'ers who are doing much better work. I would sooner support them and buy their stuff.

I think the carver is incorporating alligators into the carvings. And monkeys and birds. Maybe badgers. one of them has marble eyes.

I agree that they are pretty "hacked".
The store is trying to get several hundred for each one. I nearly choked when they said how much.

Pages: 1 4 replies