Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

need idea's for newcarving shop

Pages: 1 17 replies

D

Just sold my home here in Las Vegas, moving to Sequim, Wash., near Settle. Will be building a carving shop to make my Tikis and hand carved canes. Just retired from almost 18 years driving forklift, trucks and being dispatcher for delivertrucks for the same campany. Need a good idea for the height of a worktable,this well be the center workstation . I plan to start using real tree trunks, instead of sq.wood (beam cutoffs). Any ideas on workbench well greatly apreashed Doc Tiki.

S

Doc, not sure if there is a standard height but go with whatever is easiest on the back. There is talk in some post on here about taking 2 short sections of log [maybe a foot or more in diam.] and turning them up on end like 2 giant beer cans.Then cut a V notch in each one. You use this to hold round logs while carving. Not sure how to find it on the "search" function.Best of luck in your new endeavor. Any pictures on line of those canes?

[ Edited by: saxotica 2006-12-23 18:59 ]

H
hewey posted on Sat, Dec 23, 2006 7:08 PM

This will depend on your height. If you google search it, you might be able to find some OH&S guidelines for workbench height.

T

I have 2 benches - one US Govt maple top bench is 33 inches. But I'm 6'4" so I made a taller bench - 40 inches. I also have a Black & Decker Workmate piece of crap and it is about 30 inches. I use all three for carving sometimes. It depends on the size of the piece I am working on.

The shop will need a floor drain obviously :wink:

A shop also needs lots of electricity. A strong fan and dust control system would be real nice too.

D

Saxotica, Hewey, Tikigap
Thank you, lots of power, check, dust control,check,and floor drain?:-? . My wife says that I'm a caveman when it comes to the pc, so what is OH&S? I'll post pictures after I'm settled in Sequim,living out of a motel. well leave here on Dec 26.
Doc Tiki

8T

I'm guessing that OH&S is Occupational Health & Safety.
Ever heard of OSHA? They got a lotta "guidelines". Whatever you do good luck and be safe!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Dec 24, 2006 11:14 AM

If the GOV specs something, you can be sure it isn't what you need. I say make a temporary work surface and use it at different levels - once you find what works for you, make it that height permanently. Additionally, I do different work at different heights and could not be limited to one bench unless it was very adjustable.

-Gman

T

On 2006-12-24 10:35, doctiki wrote:
Saxotica, Hewey, Tikigap
Thank you, lots of power, check, dust control,check,and floor drain?:-? . My wife says that I'm a caveman when it comes to the pc, so what is OH&S? I'll post pictures after I'm settled in Sequim,living out of a motel. well leave here on Dec 26.
Doc Tiki

Sequim = brrreautiful! Been there. Loved it.

The Floor drain would be so you don't have to leave the shop very often, especially if you rent beer, (which most people do).

OH&S is what 8ft said. It's Hewey-land's OSHA.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Dec 26, 2006 6:49 PM

Gmans suggestion on multiple height workbenchs sounds tops.

and I also like plenty of fleuoros when Im working too

Hi DocTiki, I'm new to the Seattle area myself, welcome! I saw a post a while back where someone used 4 wheels like from a toolbox on each corner, use 2 that have the wheel lock's to keep the log from spinning, have been wanting to build 1 myself. If you're ever over Whidbey island way give me a holler and stop by my bar for a drink, or if ya need a fishing buddy!
~Stiki Tiki

On 2006-12-24 11:14, GMAN wrote: you can be sure it isn't what you need. I say make a temporary work surface and use it at different levels - once you find what works for you, make it that height permanently. Additionally, I do different work at different heights and could not be limited to one bench unless it was very adjustable.

-Gman

CHEERs Gman!

J

Don't do this!

Leads to sore knees and back.

Not to mention its friggin cold.

JP

H
Heath posted on Wed, Dec 27, 2006 9:45 PM

This is my carving set-up.
It may be what Stiki Tiki was thinking of.

I just attach the casters to whatever sawhorse happens to be needed at the time.
It works for me and I hope it helps you.

Ot's sort of a different perspective but Roger Welsh who is a CBS journalist, and sort of a mid-west humorist has a series of books out where he refurbishs old tractors. He admits to being an terrible mechanic, but is very into the slow methodical process of working in his shop on projects.

In his books he has segments on shop ideas which because hes a novice mechanic, but a good writer are really clever.

A close at hand refferance library, made of xerox'd copies of originals with plastic covered pages in a binder (dirt and grease) is a feature he frequently mentions.

Another is a wood stove that he fills with oily rags, wood pieces, grease, old paper, when he's finished working each session...so if it does ignite, it burns in a safe place. (He usually lights a fire an hour or so before he starts working in winter so it's not so uncomfortable)

Sounds like a fantastic and fun project, building a shop!

Good luck.

Heath, I love that idea of the Sawhorse Casters for odd shapes, I hope you don't mind if I make something similar for my megre carving projects.

On 2006-12-27 21:45, Heath wrote:
I just attach the casters to whatever sawhorse happens to be needed at the time.
It works for me and I hope it helps you.

I just got my casters last week. Dixieline Lumber happens to have many styles half off. I think I should have gotten bigger ones.

The casters are NOT for odd shapes. They are for round shapes. :)

Heath, that's what i was thinking of thanks, got 2 palm logs I stole from Buzzy before I moved I gotta get carving on...

D

Thank you for all of the very good ideas, JohnnyP, blewout both knees eons ago,Heath that may work for me . G-lope, wood burning stoves are a big NO NO in a woodshop, insurane's geeks say no. Stiki-Tiki, been here a week, still unpacking. Just got the laptop up and running tonight( 1/4/07), but will get with you later. Doc Tiki

http://www.bossmate.net

Adjustable portable workbench does just about anything.

Pages: 1 17 replies