Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tapa, now what?

Pages: 1 8 replies

I acquired to largish tapas. They seem to be somewhat new. 30ish years. Not that I would ever be able to age a tapa.

One is about 8'x 10' and the other is about 10'x10'. I have never noticed animals (or never paid attention to them) on tapas (here on TC) before.

One of them has quite a bit a blink space on one edge. Should I consider cutting that portion off and learning the art of art. Or use that edge to drape over somethin or other and show off the the professional work.

Right now they really can only go on the ceiling. That would be a spring poject.

S

That second one is a very common pattern. Feel free to trim off the blank areas, If you are worrying about ruining it or something, don't.

M

bring it to my house and we can make about 6 or so lamps from it.

Tongan?
Aloha,
:tiki:

On 2007-01-02 19:03, Tiki Royale wrote:
Tongan?

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-17 17:46 ]

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Jan 2, 2007 9:57 PM

Definitely Tongan, particularly the birds, insignia and trees on the second. Samoan (siapo) and Fijian Tapa is almost always composed of tightly packed geometric motifs and has very little open space. We have a pretty big Tongan community here (possibly more than in Tonga) and this stuff is very common.

The second is definately Tongan, I have a piece with a very similar design which was made for the Kings 75th birthday, birds ,lions and the Kings coat of arms, which it looks like may be on the far left of yours.

MN

Thanks for the info and replies everyone.

I was considering lamps, but I am concerned that cutting them would lead to the bad mana.

I do know there is a bad tear in the Tongan someplace.

MN

After nearly having a heart attack by making a typo on ebay I have learned that the very same Tongan tapa that I have will currently have winning bid of $43. Their highest bidder's bid is about $169.00. Sorry bidder.

I need a drink BADLY. My heart is in my throat and my stomach is in my shorts.

Signature? I ain't signin nothin!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2007-01-04 17:27 ]

Pages: 1 8 replies