Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: my very first drink recipe

Pages: 1 3 replies

Here is my very first attempt at my own drink, as yet unnamed. It's a lot like other drinks but more tart than most. My favorite drinks are tart, or bitter like a gin and tonic so that will describe why I like this.

Fill tall glass with ice
1 1/2 oz Appleton 12 year rum
1 oz Barbancourt Pango rhum
1 1/2 oz orange curacao
2 oz orange juice
2 oz cranberry juice
2 oz pineapple juice
juice of 1 lime
dash angostura bitters
garnish with marischino cherry, orange slice, whatever you like.
Drink, rinse, repeat, fall over.

If you like it sweeter add simple syrup or rock candy.

I'm a newbie so this recipe may be known by another name, if so let me know please. Happy New Year.

That is one tall drink..... 12 ounces (ish)!

Sounds yummy, but I have a few questions for you....

Why did you choose cranberry?

Have you tried using Orange Bitters?

Have you tried this one in a blender yet? It sounds like it would do well with a quick spin....

Hey Chip and Andy,

I chose cranberry cause I like it, no science or reasoning behind it. I think I may try it with something like passionfruit or even tamarind instead of the cranberry. (I guess cranberry is a bit Yankee for a tiki drink.) I don't have any orange bitters, but I'll give em a whirl and let you know how it goes.

Oh and I altered it a bit to make it more rummy and with less curacao (It's kind of overbearing).

Fill tall glass with ice
2 oz Appleton 12 year rum
1 1/2oz Barbancourt Pango rhum
1/2 oz orange curacao
2 oz orange juice
2 oz cranberry juice
2 oz pineapple juice
juice of 1 lime (key lime)
dash angostura bitters
garnish with marischino cherry, orange slice, whatever you like.

Is this drink too big? Should I shrink it down to a more manageable size? I make these in a huge insulated plastic tumbler, cause I'm a clutz and it helps beat the 80 degree winter we're having.

Like I said I am a complete newbie at this stuff and I'm buying supplies as I go along, a couple bottles a week of assorted spirits,mixers, and flavorings.

p.s. can you answer a question: What are the most often called for tiki drink adjunct ingredients (like orgeat, fassionola, etc...) It's hard to know what to get next.

On 2007-01-05 20:30, thegreenman wrote:
...I chose cranberry cause I like it, no science or reasoning behind it.

Best reason there is. With the other ingredients this sounds like something where you could experiment with Cran-something blend and get a slightly different drink each time. Makes for a nice variety when sitting by the pool on New Years day....

...Oh and I altered it a bit to make it more rummy...

Music to my liver, I mean ears....

Is this drink too big?

Not sure there is such a thing. Most tiki Mugs are 10 to 14 ounces (or more) so this should top them off nicely.

What are the most often called for tiki drink adjunct ingredients (like orgeat, fassionola, etc...) It's hard to know what to get next.

Get everything! Like you said, one bottle at a time. If you are trying to stock a Tiki Drink Bar, you need (in no particular order).....

Bar Syrup (Collins Brand is the best and easiest to get. Or make your own)
Orgeat
Angostura Bitters
Honey (I like orange blossom, but the Honey Bear is handy too)
Falernum (you will have to order this on-line, I haven't found it in our area)
Passion Fruit Syrup
Pernod (or Ricard, or Herbsaint if you can find it)

and that is only the beginning. From there you can branch out with some of the more exotic modifiers, and then you start making your own flavorings, and then you become a drink geek like so many of us become,

and then the final stage......

You become a Mixologist.

There is no hope for you when you reach the final stage, no turning back.... (cue dark music, start fog machines, switch on VOX and say in deepest voice 'Join me on the dark side')

Pages: 1 3 replies