Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Holiday Gingerbread tiki hut

Pages: 1 13 replies

So, after a round of drinks in my Ohana Hut, I got an idea with my newly purchased Gingerbread house kit from Costco. I made a quick dash to the store and found some additional candies and treats which were more applicable than the gum drops and candy canes supplied in the kit.

Now, a little over a week later, the marshmallow palm tree is a bit droopy, a few gum drops have dropped off, and the gummy shark prowl toppled and had to be reattached. I couldn't carve a decent looking Moai out of marshmallow, so I dipped my fish tank figurine in melted chocolate and added it to the scene. I hope that's not cheating too much. :wink:

• Myke

Front:

Side view:

Back:

C

Very nice! An inspired idea, for sure!!!! Love the chocolate-dipped Moai, for sure. That deserves a celebratory MaiTai, for sure :)'

Awww, I wish that I was that creative! Cool stuff!!

That is nine kinds of awesome.

P

Love it! Great job. I'll try making one next year and placing it next to the Tiki nutcracker I scored from Target this year thanks to a TC post...
Panampia

Thanks, everyone. It was fun to try to make my mental image come to life. Since this was my first attempt, I will try a few different things next year.

Tips:

1. Be sure to warm up the icing you use in cementing the sides and roof together, almost to the point of being hot. By adding all the "sour apple licorice vines" on the roof, the roofing pieces were very heavy and wanted to slide off. With the icing being very warm, I had to hold them in place for a few minutes, and use chocolate coated candy canes to brace the roof in place until the icing solidified. It also helps to icing one piece at a time and set it in a cold place (ie garage) before you add the next piece.
  2. The "lauhala weaving" for the front, back, and sides was created with a can of milk chocolate pre-made frosting mixed with a can of tan butter-creme frosting. I first smoothed on a thin layer, then took a CLEAN wide-toothed hair comb and made the criss-cross pattern in the frosting before it hardened. I let that frosting setup and harden before I assembled the hut. (I decorated the roof pieces before I attached them to the side panels. I heard that the roof pieces can crack in half if too much pressure was added when decorating them.) Of course there was lots of frosting left over, but that's your reward during the creative process!
  3. The marshmallow palm tree trunk required toothpicks to hold each piece together, and to keep it from toppling over. The palm fronds were cut from green apple gum sticks and attached with the warm icing.
  4. The "sand" was simply raw turbo sugar stuck to the tray with warm icing.
  5. My lucky find was blue and white gummy sharks which I attached to the "prowl" of the roof and the back.

Next year, I hope to create a real Ohana Tiki Shack, complete with a Shecky made from chocolate icing. I also found bags of Tropical flavored CremeSavers (ie LifeSavers - mango, banana, & pina colada flavors) which I want to incorporate into next year's attempt.

• Myke

how cute! and clever! I love it!

I made one this year too, but not a tiki shack! I would have never thought to do one, very creative!

D
Dagg posted on Wed, Dec 12, 2012 12:31 PM

two co-workers and I made this one at work today. Ill post better pics later and let you know WHAT we win :wink:

Very cool Dag, good luck in the contest!

D
Dagg posted on Wed, Dec 12, 2012 3:46 PM

On 2012-12-12 13:04, MadDogMike wrote:
Very cool Dag, good luck in the contest!

Thanks MDM!

Yay we won 1st place :D

Well deserved! What kind of place do you work where they have a gingerbread house competition? How fun!

D
Dagg posted on Wed, Dec 12, 2012 8:57 PM

Thanks again
I work for a small high tech co, they treat us very well! Guess so I've been there for 15 yrs... :D

Looks like the people who built the house behind you in the pic brought a knife to a gunfight :D

D
Dagg posted on Thu, Dec 13, 2012 3:22 PM

On 2012-12-12 21:00, MadDogMike wrote:
Looks like the people who built the house behind you in the pic brought a knife to a gunfight :D

you're too kind :)

better pics

Richard was in charge of the volcano

Terri did the hut (fired her right after!) :wink:

I came up with the design and did the landscaping.

Fun times :D
Anyone else making a Tiki GB house this year?

Mele Kalikimaka!
Darren

Pages: 1 13 replies