Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

So, I made a sign for the Mai Kai 50th....

Pages: 1 9 replies

HK

....and I thought this would be a good place to share it with other folks.

It's cut from varying thicknesses of plywood. The detail was a combo of spray paint and airbrush. The laquer is a 2-part pour-on.

Some details are carved a bit with a Dremel tool.

I cut out the Mai Kai letters first to determine the size of the other elements. Here's the not quite perfected layout...

Here's the background just after cutting...the dimensions are 26 by 17 inches...

Now with the remaining lettering cut and roughly placed...

Here it's been primered and the concentric oval is carved with the Dremel...

I sprayed the solid colors to prepare it for the airbrushing step...

HEre's the finished product. The bamboo curves are also carved with the Dremel and the wood plank was "antiqued" a bit before clearcoat. The flames are inserted into slots that were cut into the tops of the torches...

Apparently, they plan on hanging it over Mr. Thornton's picture in the office, in case anyone would like to see it in person on their next trip to the Mai Kai.

Josh

R

That looks great. Thanks for the step by step photos.

Nice job, looks great.

Right on Josh!

Nice work!

After talking with you on the phone a few weeks ago, its cool to see the finished product.

Careful now... once you've made one tiki sign, you'll be making another, and another... then comes the palm logs... and the chisels.... :wink:

Happy New Year bruddah, hope to see you up here this summer again!

K

Josh,
Fantastic job! What a thoughtful gift!
I raise my glass to you...

:drink:

by the way, I need a new sign for my shop :D
K.

F

Very cool.

so awesome!!

Great job on the sign!

HK

Mahalo to everyone for their encouragement. Also, thanks to Chip & Andy for posting those pics of us presenting the sign to Mrs. Thornton.

I really had alot of fun putting this together and I'm looking forward to the next project. The techniques I used were taught to me by my great friend, Jeffrey Claus. He's been making custom wooden signs for about 2 years now and has just formed an LLC - Wooden Tattoos. He was a tattoo artist for years, that's how we met, and now, this is his creative outlet. The creativity seems to be contagious, so now I'm seeing ideas everywhere. When I'm not working on a "business" project, I'm cobbling something together for myself....Lake's probably right...chisels are in the future for sure!

I also made a sign for the Jetsetter's 1st anniversary - I'll post pics in another thread for anyone who might be interested.

Josh

Pages: 1 9 replies