Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki going high design in Miami

Pages: 1 6 replies

B

Designer Philippe Starck was at Art Basel Miami Beach this December to show off a new modern high-rise development he is involved with. It appears Tiki's appeal is working its way into the mainstream to the degree that it's even gaining acceptance in high design circles.

"Icon Brickell in downtown Miami is another magnificent project from the team of designer Philippe Starck and noted Miami developer, Jorge Perez. In perfect Starck style, Icon Brickell contains monolithic Moai statues at the entrance, a rooftop fireplace, and a life-size chess set in the outdoor living room area."

I could not find pictures of the Moai on the developers web site yet. The first phase is under construction, so hopefully there will be images soon.

-Duke

Cool! I wonder if the connection here is that Taschen had some of its stores designed by Starck, and his French right hand man (whose name I can't think of) is a fan of the BOT. I gave him a Tiki tour when he was in LA a while back, nice guy.

Such towers will block out the sun - all 3 of them.

Miami will soon overtake Manhattan for high-rise density, which is not a good thing.

http://www.iconbrickell.com/

However, since it contains tiki, its all good.

S

If you click on the floorplan you can see Starck standing in front of two moai statues, and if you mouse-over, their eyes light up.

[ Edited by: snackbar 2007-01-16 04:02 ]

On 2007-01-15 23:20, christiki295 wrote:

Miami will soon overtake Manhattan for high-rise density, which is not a good thing.

Apparently the people who build and buy these beach-side monstrosities haven't seen "An Inconvenient Truth". Or are in denial.

On 2007-01-15 23:20, christiki295 wrote:

What's the problem! It's not like Miami's known for its warm sunshi- oh - wait, never mind.

I'm dreading some two and 1/2 story townhomes likely going up next door to me for the same reason. I can't even imagine how pissed I'd be if that HUGE thing were looking down on me.

F

I'm dreading some two and 1/2 story townhomes likely going up next door to me for the same reason. I can't even imagine how pissed I'd be if that HUGE thing were looking down on me.

I hear Sunny Isles is the same way. All of the kitsch has been replaced by skyscrapers.
When I drove from MB to the MaiKai, I saw a few and am saddened by their passing.

There is a 4 story unit behind my parents home being built - I feel your pain.

BYW, how is it to live in MB?

Are you feeling overrun by businesses and is the tiki garden grill still open on Collins (& like 10th? - or do you not venture in that neck of the woods bc of a dearth of parking and an abundance of tourists?

Pages: 1 6 replies