Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

NewsFlash on Thatch

Pages: 1 28 replies

Just passed electrical and mechanical.

Decided to throw those crazy kids, the Pander Bros a little First Thursday art showing. Sure, they've painted the two paintings in the private hut, but for the next 30 days, they are also bringing in 9 velvet tiki god paintings.

Show up around 6:30 or so. Meet the Panders, Meet the bartenders. Have a drink. All are welcome.

http://www.panderbros.com/

Robertiki

RB

Very cool! I'll be there.

So you are open then? If so then I may need to stop by on Saturday as I'll be up to Portland this weekend for various reasons.

R

no, not open on sat, well maybe, but do know thereis a art installation party for the Panders tonight, and a private shindig for TCers on Friday.

I guess someone posted this friday night's thing on the Portland Mercury's website, but unless I get a PM via TC, those hipsters with their dirty low-slung jeans won't be allowed in.

M

Delicious!

Tonight and tomorrow at Thatch?

Excellent.

Hurrah! This day looks a whole lot better now!

M

*On 2007-01-04 09:36, Robertiki wrote:*I guess someone posted this friday night's thing on the Portland Mercury's website, but unless I get a PM via TC, those hipsters with their dirty low-slung jeans won't be allowed in.

Do we need to get any confirmation from you that you got our PM, or should we just be set?

T

Check 1,2 check 1,2, for a second there I thought I was on another forum !!!!!

T

Wow! This place is cool! I am sure this place is going to be a smashing success! The drinks are yummy and the tiki factor is high. They make their own sweet and sour, and that is a huge plus. You must visit Thatch, once it opens. We plan to be regulars. I took some camera phone pictures and posted a few pictures on Picasa. http://picasaweb.google.com/Tolovana/Thatch

[ Edited by: Tolovana 2007-01-04 23:59 ]

Just returned from the first thursday/soft opening of Thatch.
I'd like to say "Thank you Robert - the place is beautiful".

Flanking the entry bridge are some old friends you might recognize from the Jasmine Tree.

The ceiling work by Bamboo Craftsman is entirely transporting.

Outside the window of the private hut at the back of the bar.

Inside the private hut...

TikiMaxton explaining the virtues of glueing things to one's head...

The theming continues right into the bathroom.

Pele and Ngendi.
(Ask this man about "Great Balls of Fire!")

View of the main room from the back.

[ Edited by: Tikitronic 2007-01-04 22:58 ]

RB

I had the unexpected honor of ordering the first drink last night (a Mai Tai, of course)...and the pleasure of paying for the first drink! One of my $1 bills is tacked up in the kitchen. Congrats to Robert and the crew: well done!

Unfortunately I don't think I can make it tonight, didn't know about last night but I couldn't make it. Darn this job and other life things that get in the way. Anywho have fun without me, I'm sure that you will.

On 2007-01-04 16:32, MikeyTiki wrote:

*On 2007-01-04 09:36, Robertiki wrote:*I guess someone posted this friday night's thing on the Portland Mercury's website, but unless I get a PM via TC, those hipsters with their dirty low-slung jeans won't be allowed in.

Do we need to get any confirmation from you that you got our PM, or should we just be set?

Exactly my question. I sent Robert a PM for tonight but didn't get a reply. I'm going to show up and hope for the best.

That's what I'm going to do also. So if you see a couple of hipster dorks one wearing a leopard skirt, that will be me....so come and tell the door guy to let me in!!! Codename.. Sputnik

T

Last night, we got told that we should show up at 7:30 for the TC opening. Did anyone get told anything other than 7:30?

Looks awesome! I hope to be there tonight provided Robert gets my PM. Long Live Thatch!

R

thanks to all who came out last night. I had a great time seing you all again. This wednesday I should be open regularly with a full menu of drinks and a start on my goal of having 42 different rums.

Robertiki

The husband and I just made our first visit to Thatch last Friday night and let me tell you, I was amazed! INCREDIBLE decor, high TiPSY factor, fantastic authentic drinks (I had a Mai Tai, and a Chi-Chi served in a ceramic Trader Vic's coconut), fun bartenders, tiki lounge music, and a great slice of pineapple rum cake to finish it off! CONGRATS to Robert for a job well done.

I want to try to swing By for a Half hour or so.
On Fri Feb 23rd.

Before I go to the Alibi for the big meet and greet, before the Satan's
Pilgrims show.

I wish the Meet and Greet was at Thatch.
it looks killer, and I hear the drinks are way better than at the Alibi.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Kitty and I dropped in a couple weeks ago and it is obvious that every effort is being made to ensure drink preparation is of the highest standard. We sat at the friendly, puffer fish illuminated bar but I had my eye on that back booth. That looks like the royal roost to me. Has anyone gone into the restroom and not felt that Gort was about to hand you a towel? I like this place a lot.
I also think, like Peete's Coffee down the street, that in good weather there could be outside seating.

RB

Dang, Mr Tiki Bar, let me know the next time you're in town! Wife and I are headed to Thatch this evening to celebrate our anniversary.

Sounds good to me Paul. First one there grabs the big booth. We gotta do something in lieu of TikiKon since we both have to miss that. Speaking of anniversaries, (congratulations by the way to you and Mrs. Rum Balls) Kitty and I will be chalking up 25 years TikiKon weekend.

what is this first one to grab the booth biz??

Just let me know what time and how many, the booth is yours.

Like I'm gonna reserve it for some Laurelhurst mom's group instead.

Thanks Robert. I feel like we've been anointed to the Royal Roost. I like your bar and I like Laurelhurst mom's so I can't lose.

R

I can't say enough great things about Thatch! We took my parents there for an anniversary surprise last week and Ernie and the rest of the staff really went out of their way to make everything perfect. My mom and dad went to the old Kon-Tiki room on their honeymoon 33 years ago and we suprised them by recreating the event (including kids this time). Ernie specially made them a Scorpion which was what they drank on their honeymoon. We dropped off the gardenias and an anniversary cake earlier that evening, and when we showed up later, Ernie had a table ready and everything went off without a hitch. I don't think we will ever be able to top this year's anniversary party. They were THRILLED! See how happy they look!

Michelle G.

[ Edited by: Humuhumu - fixed image - 2007-02-28 15:42 ]

I was able to make it to Thatch for about a half Hour last Friday before the Satan's Pilgrims show. I liked it alot. Very cool place, just wish it wasn't so far away from So. Cal. But all the more reason to get up that way more often.

The Mai Tai that I bought for my friends wife was perfect.
They didn't have a Zombi on the Menu, but I asked if they could make one, no prob he said.
The Zombie that I got was a perfect Trader Vics version, but I'm more partial to the Don The Beachcomber (darker, not pink)version, so It would be cool if you could add the variation to the list.
we didn't have time to eat, but everything I saw and smelt seemed to be very good.

The Decor was perfect. Just tooo cool.

Great Job Robert, hope to see it again someday.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I made it to Thatch about a month ago (a week or so after opening?) and the place looks fantastic! The drinks were great and the flaming pu-pu platter was delicious. I'm definitely going back, but not with the guy who broke rule #1:

Do NOT touch the velvet paintings!

Awesome digs, Robert. My compliments to the craftsmen.

Aloha robertiki,

From the pix and the posts looks like we from the North Side of Seattle best hustle our tiki buns down for a visit. Are there any Saturdays before Tiki-con (we were in Thatch last year for the bubbly) that we can combine for added excitement? If not we will still make it down there. Can't wait to see it live. I would love to have the local tikiphiles come by and say aloha. We won't have a car so I hope you are are on a bus line.

Tenative date is 4-21-07 evening

Bothellbill and Mrs Bill

Pages: 1 28 replies