Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

best place to get vacation packages to hawaii?

Pages: 1 18 replies

Hi,

I just picked up the ring for my girlfriend and am scheming for ideas. We were actually just in Hawaii (Oahu) about 3 months ago, and wanted to go to Maui but didn't have the time. I was thinking of surprising her on a trip to Maui at the end of January and proposing to her underwater (we're avid scuba divers!) Here's what I need help with:

• Best hotel to stay at. I'm considering the Renaissance or Hyatt Regency. Any other tips?
  • Best scuba diving shop. I'd like to work with the divemaster and ask him to write up a sign and place it underwater (will you marry me?) in advance. Any recommendations?
  • Good restaurants.
  • Siteseeing tips.

Thanks guys!

anybody? :wink:

I have no suggestions, but that is SO ROMANTIC and just awesome..how cool!!
very creative :)

The Hyatt Regency is a good choice, but is in Ka'anapali... not the most romantic place on Maui, but is more affordable than any of the ritzy hotels in Wailea. And, a wonderful beach and local. If you plan to spend some decent bucks and want first rate and quality, try the Grand Wailea in the southern end of the island (Wailea).

Mama's Fish House is a MUST in Paia!!! Romantic setting on a beach with oceanfront views, and Old Hawaiian and Tiki atmosphere. Excellent food (and Mai Tais), fantastic service, and the BEST atmosphere.

Both of these suggestions are pretty pricey, but if you can do it... How many times do you get engaged underwater??

Go for it!!! and Best Wishes!

• Myke
M

The Grand Wailea also is located near very good diving spots. If you have disposable income that you want to dispose of rapidly, you might consider this place. You really need to stop in for a drink at Humuhumunukunukuapua'a and check the grounds out though.

There is a dive shop (or operation)in Kehei I heard something good about. Mike & Pauline Severns, P.O.Box 627 P.O.Box 627 Kihei, Maui Hawaii 96753
Phone: (808) 879-6596

[ Edited by: mrtikibar 2007-01-03 08:59 ]

travelocity seems to have pretty good deals.

i hate the expedia UI. any other recommendations?

B

I have seem some decent packages on pleasantholidays.com

I used them to go to Kauai last August and am thinking of using them again this year.

T

I'm only familiar with two dive operations on Maui--
Lahaina Divers and Maui Dive Shop.
I was going to go on a snorkel trip to Molokini with Lahaina Divers but had to cancel at the last minute. My parents have done the Molokini snorkel trip with Maui Dive Shop and were pretty pleased. It appears that the Maui Dive Shop people also have u/w video cameras to film people. It might be pretty cool to get footage of the proposal so you can prove it really happened.
I think the best thing for you to do would be to call both dive shops and figure out who's going to be more accomodating for your special request.
Also, if you're staying in Kanapaali or Lahaina, then that's something to take into consideration. I think Lahaina Divers are the only ones that depart from Lahaina (at least that's how it was in 2004), and Maui Dive Shops depart from Kihei, so if you're going near Molokini, then you're either driving to Kihei in a car, or going farther on a boat. Not prone to seasickness are you? :)
I'm not familiar with the hotels you're talking about so I can't help you out there. I stayed at the Royal Lahaina, which is a nice place, but maybe not as nice as you want. It's nice, but it's not the four seasons. It really depends on how fancy you wanted to get. Mama's Fish House is a great place, from what I hear.
Best of luck to you!

--Edit--
Other sightseeing tips--
The road to Hana. It's a beautiful scenic drive, though Hana itself isn't terribly remarkable. It's a nice little town, but I think a lot of people get there and think to themselves "This is [i]it[/it]?" It's one of those times in life where the journey is more important than the destination. Anyway, it's a nice drive, a good excuse for a picnic, and there's a black sand beach (the first one I ever saw). If you want to bring along a picnic, get a foam cooler or whatever from Walmart or something, pack up some sandwiches or whatever, cold drinks, cans of Macadamia nuts, and you're all set. The missus and I did it, and had a great time.
Oh, don't take the road all the way around the island. When you get past Haleakala national park, it turns into a dirt road that's not very wide. It's better to go back the way you came. Trust me. Unless you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle.

Molokini is supposed to be awesome. I was bummed when I had to cancel my snorkel trip when we were there.
Haleakala is supposed to very nice at sunrise. The national park on the east end of the island (past Hana) is very nice, too.
There's probably more to see, but I only got to stay for about three days when I was there.
It's a nice place to relax, too.

[ Edited by: TikiJosh 2007-01-03 12:37 ]

T

I've used pleasant holidays before. This last trip to Hawaii, we booked airfare separately and got a good deal through Hawaiian. ATA is usually cheapest for airfare, but United has been having some really good deals lately.
I've found that with the Pleasant booking engine, you're better off trying a few different combinations of days. Changing the departure or arrival dates just a little can have a big impact on the price of your stay, and I mean by flying on Tuesday instead of Wednesday you can save a lot of money. At least sometimes. I'm not sure what the rationale is for all of it, but it's not like they'll tell you that you can save $300 by flying one day earlier or whatever. You just sort of have to go by trial and error.
Pleasant usually has good deals on hotels and rental cars, although it's always best to make sure that you can't get a better deal from the hotel or rental agency first. Also, keep your eye on TravelZoo. They usually have really good deals, especially in the off season (like the end of January), and it's always worth checking things like expedia or even checking out the auto club to see if you can get a better deal.

As far as packages go check your with your airline first especially if you're flying Aloha, or Hawaiian. Hawaiian's website for example has a package builder to help you decide and in the past have had decent deals. My experience has been you can often save money booking your hotel(s)and flight separately than through these so called packages, so check both ways. Hawaiian's website also allows you to SEE which day's are cheaper to fly in or out. If you do fly Hawaiian use my affiliate program code (just pm me) and it'll save you a few bucks on the plane tickets.

Because your avid divers it may be helpful logistically to stay in Kaanapali. This way you would be close to both main marinas where the snorkel/dive boats are located Maalaea and Lahaina. Beyond that Kaanapali has excellent beaches and good water. Kihei not so much. Kaanapali also has a choice of good resorts-pick one. As a newly 'engaged' couple you may want to sight see in Lahaina as well. Mainly shops, but Lahaina has a such storied past it just draws you there and is such a melting pot. If you're interested in carvings the park is almost always a good place to find locals selling their wares. The haoles have the shops, the locals set up in Banyon Park Hawaiian style.

I strongly recommend the Molokini trip. You probably have seen even clearer water than this, but how often do you get to explore an old crater? Just a thought.

some of the best places to stay are vacation rentals. find a reputable company and you can rent an entire condo on the ocean (kitchen comes in handy, sometimes, and it's nice to have a patio). It's generally the same as, or cheaper than, a hotel room.

I had good luck with this on Maui and the Big Island as well.

I just made reservations and the Grand Wailea...with flight and rental car it came out to $2k leaving from Seattle on Expedia for 4 nights. not bad considering a room is $600/night (low end). i'm happy with the purchase!

anymore tips on diving shops would be appreciated thanks to all of you who responded!

D

art: whoa, didnt know you were here in seattle, i would have recommended Terry at Hawaii General Store to do all your bookings. he saved us a bunch, and got us upgrades. oh well, next time.

i've posted several threads about our trips to hawaii.. a dinner at HumuHumu*.* at the Grand Wailea is a wonderful idea.. we loved everything about that place. also Mama's.

post a picture of the ring! good luck!

Very nice! I'll chime in with one more opinion. When Kitty and I were in Maui, we did the Molokini snorkle trip and enjoyed it, but
we were surprised at what a cattle call it was. Boats pulled into designated moorings for allotted time and the feeling was more of a tailgate party than an exclusive, remote dive. It's one of those things we are glad we did but won't do again if we get back over there.

H

On 2007-01-04 10:13, dogbytes wrote:
art: whoa, didnt know you were here in seattle, i would have recommended ...

You really should fill in that "from field". You would definitely get better help here on TC if you did so...

Meanwhile, yes, you must do the road to Hana or else you are missing one of the best charms of Maui.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.