Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Another sign project - Jetsetter Lounge

Pages: 1 16 replies

HK

I put this together as a gift for Mike Jones at The Jetsetter Lounge in Lake Worth, FL. The JSL has become something of a home away from home for us, and I wanted to show Mike a little appreciation.

I used an opaque projector to blow up the business card design for my layout. As a beginning artist, I'm learning the importance of taking ample time during this step. Both this sign and the Mai Kai sign I made have some symmetry issues. I feel confident that patience and more experience with the required tools will help me get better...hopefully!

I started with the letters and a rough cut of the background.

The letters are painted and I started carving the inside Diamonds.

Skipping a few steps, the paint is done except for the trim.

With the black trim.

Finished!

That turned out really nice- Your Mai-Kai sign too!

Mike will be proud of that I bet..

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jan 3, 2007 2:33 PM

Awesome man! :)

HK

Thanks, guys! Both projects were really fun. I've got a few more things in the works before I can get to anything that's even vaguely Tiki related, but I'm sure I'll be back with more.

Josh
http://www.whollycatsband.com

K

Hey Josh...
another great job!
can't wait to see this one in person!

K.

J

Hey Josh
The sign came out great! That will look great at JSL. What size is the sign? ...and how do you achieve such magnificent glaze (almost plasticlike)
Can't wait to see you at the JSL soon - constantly enjoy your CD's!!!!
Jon
Jon

HK

Jon - Mahalo! The clearcoat is a 2-part, pour-on epoxy resin called Glaze Coat. It's the same stuff you'd use if you wanted to put shells, pictures, or whatever on your bartop. Although it's a bit pricey, the look is worth it.

Glad you're diggin' on the tunes, brah. We're about due to get another one out there before too long...we've got several projects in mind, so we'll keep everyone posted when we figure out which one is next.

Josh

SF

Wow great job on that 3D logo Haole Kat. I actually designed that logo for mike before he opened his doors. Jetsetter lounge is on my short list of places to visit. I know he will love that.

that looks great!!
I've wanted to go there for a while; Michael from Rocket 88 told me about that place.

H

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jan 4, 2007 6:18 PM

How did you do the metal rings?

I reckon you would have some great succes with personalised bar signs too :)

HK

Oops, forgot to mention the size before - I think it was about 22x17.

Swampfire - I hope you don't cringe too much at the sloppy reproduction/bastardization of your design. It was fun to do, but I kinda rushed it a bit and ended up with a somewhat unbalanced look, to put it nicely. Damn rookies....I'll learn to take my time.

The rings were just cut from a spool of wire from the craft store. After bending them into the proper shape, I inserted them into holes drilled in the back of the sign. Tension is all that holds them in place, so it's easy to adjust them if they get knocked out of whack.

Thanks again everyone, and if you have the chance, be sure to stop in and say Hi to Mike and everyone at the JSL. I'm particularly fond of their Cuban Cigar appetizers. Yummy!

Josh

As a "professional" sign maker, that's an awesome job!
I wished I had more clients who ordered signs like the one you made.
It breaks the monotony up from the regular "realtor" type sign in an H-frame.
Keep up the great work!

M

Love the sign. Would love to have the "Jetsetter" font. Looks great.

L
Loki posted on Thu, Mar 29, 2007 7:47 AM

Aloha and Kia Ora all,
I wanted to toot Josh's creative horn a bit by posting this picture of a home bar sign Josh made for StumpGrinder and myself. He even presented it to us in the Molokai Bar at the Mai Kai. He is getting real good at this sign stuff.

Mahalo Josh

The jetset lounge sign is really well done and period perfect, the rings are a great 3D element.

HK

Thanks to everyone for their kind words about the Jetsetter Sign. It seems that all I see are the flaws!

Loki & Stumpgrinder - It was my pleasure. You guys are the greatest! See you Friday night.

Josh

Pages: 1 16 replies