Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

patterns

Pages: 1 9 replies

P
pdrake posted on Wed, Jan 3, 2007 2:00 PM

anyone have a good way of getting drawings transfered to a substrate? it's hard to find carbon paper these days.

H

Have you considered using a projector (e.g., a slide projector or an overhead projector)?

P
pdrake posted on Wed, Jan 3, 2007 2:16 PM

well, it's a little difficult with a projector when your working with a piece about 2" x 2". i'd have to tape the wood or stone up on the wall and move the projector about 3" from it. i don't think my pencil is that short. plus, the projector is on a cart way in the back of the studio. it seems like a hassle to go drag it out, clear off a wall, find some double stick tape, get an extension cord and whittle down a pencil.

heehee

;-P

i just can't believe how hard it is to find a little piecee of carbon paper.

H

Yeah, I can see where it'd be cumbersome for such a small piece. I wonder if a local tattoo shop would be willing to print up your design using the special transfer paper they use to get an outline? Don't know how well it works when it's not going on skin, but might be a something to try.

B
Bowana posted on Wed, Jan 3, 2007 2:31 PM

I have been known to make my own carbon paper. On one side of a piece of paper you scribble the outline of your drawing nice and dark with a big fat #2 pencil. Flip the paper over and trace over your design on it and the pencil lead on the back will transfer like carbon paper.

Try it! It works!

This stuff is what you need. Usually called graphite Paper or Transfer Paper.....

http://www.misterart.com/store/view/001/group_id/3733/Mona-Lisa-Graphite-Paper.htm

I think you can find it at Michaels, or a local Art supply store should be able to help.

http://www.utrechtart.com/dsp_view_search.cfm?Status=1&Keywords=transfer+paper&Brand=%25&Criteria=0&x=0&y=0

I use the Saral sometimes when I need to lay something out... Michaels has wax free

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=fa0192

Check a hobby shop too... or wood working

I've used the technique tiki dav talks about before, just be sure you do the pencil overlay on the right side so your image isn't reversed.

Y

On 2007-01-03 14:31, Tikidav wrote:
I have been known to make my own carbon paper. On one side of a piece of paper you scribble the outline of your drawing nice and dark with a big fat #2 pencil. Flip the paper over and trace over your design on it and the pencil lead on the back will transfer like carbon paper.

Try it! It works!

I also use this technique but instead of using a #2 pencil I use some charcoal, same thing. I actually like this method more. Don't need to worry about taping graphite down or to my drawing.

I know you said you wear transferring an image to wood, but here's another way I cheat when doing tracings. (I don't have a light box so I use my computer as one.) Open Microsoft Word or any other program that has a plain white screen. Tape my original drawing to the monitor. Tape a blank sheet over my drawing then trace away. My printer is on the fritz and I needed to resize a drawing for a carving. I scanned it and sized it up in Photoshop. Using a marker, I traced the image directly onto the glass of the monitor. Closed Photoshop, opened up Word, taped a blank sheet over the monitor. Then traced over the new drawing that was on the monitor. Good times...
Oh, rubbing alcohol will take ink off any non porous surface.

Pages: 1 9 replies