Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Jivaro Shrunken Head mug by Thor

Pages: 1 27 replies

M

In a few days, we will go live online at Tiki Farm (www.tikifarm.com) with our new Jivaro Shrunken Head mug designed by Tom Thordarson (aka "Thor"). This mug is an exacting replica with the requisite bamboo stake, flowing black hair & twine/beading that the Jivaro's used to decorate their trophies. Here it is...

We produce these with random combos of the red & pink beads but if you want a specific color combination, after you place your order, email my new assistant Dawn at [email protected] with your full name & order i.d. number.

The Jivaro Shrunken Head mug is $16.95 and the TC 15% discount DOES apply to this mug.

Mahaloz!
Holden

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Jan 4, 2007 3:34 PM

Thor you devil. Having us pick your next mug from a slew a concept drawings and all this time you bight your tongue about the NEW Tiki Farm shrunken head mug. :)

Sweet mug.

KRIPES! & SKIN CRAWLING KREEPYS! SsweeetT lil' headZ though, so I'll bite...WHY pink and red beads??? :lol:

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

I'm going to have to get one of these.
What is the timeline again on the Rocket ship decanter?

..sbim

The Big BALLSomic will step in for one of these... Love the fact that u used real twine, etc. It will jam with my Headhunter Lounge.. Keep kickin that a$$, Holden and TF Artists. F. Balls Out.

M

On 2007-01-04 18:06, Suffering Bastard in Maine wrote:

..sbim

Tom knows a lot more about this then me but I do believe that he went with colors/shapes/hues indigenous to the Jivaro people.

M

On 2007-01-04 18:06, Suffering Bastard in Maine wrote:

..sbim

we're about 30 days out on the Rocketship Decanter and accompanying mugs ("Tron the Beachcomber" and "Radar Vic")

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Jan 4, 2007 7:03 PM

Holden and TF Artists. F. Balls Out

Sounds funny but I know what you are talking about, but if I didn't.

ST

way cool, gotta have one!

T
THOR's posted on Fri, Jan 5, 2007 2:49 PM

Hey all!!

Just noticed this was just announced by Holden and the gang at the Farm!! These were fun to sculpt and are based off the actual Jivaro Indian shrunken heads of Ecuador. Bead colors, in reality, really varied depending on who they traded with or what they made themselves, so these colors are not specific. Actual jivaro shrunken heads were war trophies.

The jivaros believed they could hold the spirit of the defeated enemy in the little "purse" like heads and therefore be protected from retaliation in the afterlife. So, in this case, we can hold our "spirits" too!!!...Spirits of the depleted rum bottle that are sure to leave a silly grin on that "mug" perched on your shoulders!

If you really want to display these mugs in an awesome way when serving a drink, do a little research and look at the way the Jivaro's would decorate these trophy heads. Many had colorful tropical bird feathers and palm woven mini head dresses. So, think of how cool they will look with some colorful fruit garnishes and a long black straw!

In the future, like I posted in the concept mugs thread the Thor Stor posted, it would be great to have a contest to create a drink recipe specific to the mugs released. What drink might this hold that would characterize "shrunken head" or "Jivaro" or "Tsantsa"! Home and professional bartenders are welcome to contribute! If we can decide on a winner, I am willing to create a cool recipe flyer that rolls up inside and credits the mixologist! Heck, if there are enough contributions, I am willing to customize one of the mugs specific to the winner too. Not that a cold Mai Tai wouldn't work in these fellas too!!!

I am hoping you will find these as fun to drink from and collect as they were to make. Thanks to Holden and TikiFarm for their persistence to get the glazes down and do the finishing touches. I also encourage all you creative collectors to customize these heads! Feel free to add feathers and your own bead choices! Again, look on google or other sources for Jivaro shrunken heads or "Tsantsa" as they are called in the native tongue.

These should help you all celebrate the dark adventurer in you and feel the misty rivers of the deep Ecuadorian rainforests in your own homes...Even if it's on a shelf above the bar fridge!

Warm Aloha's Thor

H

Holden will you have these ready for sale at your get together on Feb. 17th?

M

On 2007-01-05 17:25, hiltiki wrote:

They are in stock and we're doing the assembly/bonding of the twine & beads and will go live online with these once we've got about 250 ready to ship.

The 17th gig may be cancelled as the entertainment that I had lined up backed out because of getting a higher paying gig at a club down in San Diego. I was intending on a larger party for about 100 for the 17th so now I have to rethink it.

T
teaKEY posted on Sun, Jan 7, 2007 9:33 AM

I got a good idea for the mug (pats his back), unknot the strings and add your own beads and trinkets. And also TC artist like Purple Jade could do a small run of different numbering beads. Could trade just like the tribes did.

If you really want to get fancy, BKs bones beads in the tripe digits, but I'm thinking that the ones that he has now would be too big.

On 2007-01-06 14:02, MakeDaMug wrote:

...the entertainment that I had lined up backed out because of getting a higher paying gig at a club down in San Diego.

Who Dat?

M

On 2007-01-07 10:47, hodadhank wrote:

...the entertainment that I had lined up backed out because of getting a higher paying gig at a club down in San Diego.

Who Dat?

http://www.stevenespaniola.com/

B

Cool Mug Holden and THORS, I'm trying to think of a drink name for the mug,, "Jivaro'smind boggler" or "Brain Juice" from Jivaro, or just "Jivaro Juice"

T

HAAAAAa GREAT start on names Benz!! HELLOO BRA, by the way!! I can't wait till your mugs are out too!! We gotta have an official "trade" of signed mugs man!! DEAL??? I am busy as all heck painting...won't be up for air much for a while, but will pop in and say hi when I can. Keep up the AMAZING work Benz!! You are a carvin' cannibal!!

This is actually the first mug out that I sculpted the original on. My brother in tikidom, Squid did the sculpting based on my paintings on the Tiki Idols. I will be doing at least some of the origials upcoming if time allows.

Aloha!! THOR

J

What is the liquid capacity of the mug? That would be very helpful information for those of us who may try to come up with a drink for it.

Mahalos

T

Mick, "on a Stick"

capacity is at 12 oz.

Looks like FlatEarth is already selling them on fleabay.

On 2007-01-05 14:49, THOR's wrote:
In the future, like I posted in the concept mugs thread the Thor Stor posted, it would be great to have a contest to create a drink recipe specific to the mugs released. What drink might this hold that would characterize "shrunken head" or "Jivaro" or "Tsantsa"! Home and professional bartenders are welcome to contribute! If we can decide on a winner, I am willing to create a cool recipe flyer that rolls up inside and credits the mixologist! Heck, if there are enough contributions, I am willing to customize one of the mugs specific to the winner too. Not that a cold Mai Tai wouldn't work in these fellas too!!!

Ask and you shall recieve, the Tsantsa Clos:

2 oz Brandy
1 oz Dark Creme de Cacao
1 oz Half & Half
Fresh Grated Nutmeg to taste
1 oz Clos du Columbier Cognac

Shake first 3 ingredients over ice, strain into mug 1/2 full of crushed ice, stir well and top with Nutmeg & Cognac float.

T

DR. Freddie!!!

You are the first to submitt an actual recipe!!!! We are gunna try this one and get back to ya!! If I don't get more recipe submissions soon...I will call it a done deal and you get the prize bra!!!

Aloha's THOR

[ Edited by: THOR's 2007-01-10 19:39 ]

D

ok here's another:

"Jivaro Punch"

half dozen ice cubes (cubed or cracked)
4 oz chilled pineapple juice
2 oz chilled fresh squeeze orange juice
2 oz chilled fresh line juice
2 oz dark rum (the best you can afford it's all good)
A splash of grenadine

add rum and fruit juices into an iced shaker
shake shake shake!

Pour into the mug w/ice and top with the grenadine.
Garnish with pineapple, orange and cherry.

drink and repeat above steps

[ Edited by: dibroc 2007-01-10 20:19 ]

H

"Brain Juice"

2 oz. dark rum
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 oz. of Orange Curacao
1/2 oz. of Creme de Banana
1/2 of a fresh banana (to make it look like fresh brain out of a blender)

Blend everything with enough crushed ice to fill the glass for 5 seconds. Pour into glass and garnish with fresh slice of banana speared to Maraschino cherry.

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2007-01-10 20:42 ]

On 2007-01-07 16:55, MakeDaMug wrote:

On 2007-01-07 10:47, hodadhank wrote:

Who Dat?

http://www.stevenespaniola.com/

Aloha,

Since we had not heard back from Holden regarding the details about his party at Tiki Farm and to ensure proper lead time for promotion and planning, other arrangements at another venue had to be made for Steven. The "higher paying" quote is not a true statement as most of Steven's Southern California performances will be absolutely free to the public. We apologize for any miscommunication or inconvenience and look forward to working with Holden in the future.

Ho`omaka E-Team
[email protected]
[email protected]

T

Man.... I am not familiar with the whole situation on this performance or who did what to who but MAN!! It sure put a wet rag on the Jivaro Drink recipe contest thread!!! HAAAaaaaaa

U

Were any Thor Jivaro mugs made without the twine and beads?

Pages: 1 27 replies