Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Can you ID this TIKI?

Pages: 1 15 replies

I got this guy for Christmas. He's ceramic, a little over 7"s tall with no label, signature, nada, and came from a flea market. I've a hunch it was mass-produced and not someone's pottery class project. Any clues? The giver and the giftee are very curious. Thanks!

TD

NACO or something like that. saw one the other day . looked and felt a little cheap to me. kind of a rough surface.

Hey Thunderlips,
There was discussion of this guy a while back... Lots of speculation as to what the depression in the back of the head was for.
I tried searching for the thread but sorry, I'm a little fuzzy on the details of the last thread. Hopefully someone else might remeber and dig it up.
A nice find/gift for you though!
Aloha,
:tiki:

UT

A couple of pics of a Ku wall hanger I have. 7" tall 3 1/2" wide. Made by NAPCO ceramics of Japan. Almost the same type of depression in the back. May have been a way to cut down on production cost by having less material in the mold. Just a guess but may help to look up some info on the web. Great find.

TD

yep ,thats it NAPCO,saw the same tiki with the same sticker in toledo antique mall the other day.

T

The face is very reminiscent of the Johnny Sens Tiki Mug.

Thanks a lot for the info. Nice to know so many good folks are on the case!

T

& yet another version even more like the Johnny Sens mug.

Tikisgrl

For what it's worth i think this tiki is also in the Book "Hula dancers and tiki gods" with a little write up on em. well i'll go back to my hole now

While we're trying to ID tiki's how about this one? It seems to me maybe it's a souvenir that candy or nuts came in. It's black glazed ceramic no glaze or markings on the bottom. Dual faced, with a removable fitted hat/lid.

picked this up today any one have an idea if it is hawaiian? ive seen this style of face before just not sure where?

Looks familiar to me too, last time I saw that face was a nightmare about Clowns

J

Looks like Toby design mug gone wrong. Hello Dali!

On 2007-01-21 22:48, brokeassbuilder wrote:
picked this up today any one have an idea if it is hawaiian? ive seen this style of face before just not sure where?

That looks more like an Iroquois "False Face" mask than a Tiki.

On 2007-01-15 10:03, tomanikitiki wrote:
While we're trying to ID tiki's how about this one? It seems to me maybe it's a souvenir that candy or nuts came in. It's black glazed ceramic no glaze or markings on the bottom. Dual faced, with a removable fitted hat/lid.

It looks like an Indonesian variation on the Disney Polynesian Village Two-Faced Tiki? I like the lid and wider base on yours.

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/pictures.cgi?mode=gallery&mug_id=787

I thought I was the ONLY one that had this guy.

Mine is marked on the bottom with a numerical sequence of numbers: 285451 (right foot). The other foot has a hole from the mold.

Yellow top, eyes, teeth and belly button.

My guess is this was mass produced.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am so on with the show)!

Pages: 1 15 replies