Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Sears Craftsman auto wood carver

Pages: 1 7 replies

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Jan 8, 2007 8:06 AM

Maybe this will make things easier...

Perhaps not what anyone here would use, but in terms of making a lot of the same piece out of wood instead of casting it, this could be a great tool.

I saw the commercial for this last night and started to lick to tv screen.

Ok, maybe that was too much information....... But it looks like the interface for this machine could be controlled by CAD software which means that it would be a short step from the scanner to the computer to lumber.

Think of the wood panels you could create for the home bar space....... Maybe I should start scanning and converting some of the Maori art I have been collecting so I can commission the first person to bring on of these bad boys home......

K

I looked into getting this. Talked to my brother about going in halfs (don't really need it - but really want it).

It does come with a "probe" (he he) that you can run an item through and it will create a 3d model so you can replicate it. So, put a carving (wax, plaster, etc) into the carver and then make duplicates on nicer material.

You can also carve into a thicker plastic as well as upload pictures and carve cameos and other b/w photos.

...thinking about using the tip money from the tikibar for this one...

[ Edited by: konakenny 2007-01-08 16:15 ]

B

Want to see the Real DEAL? HERE is the web site for the Manufacturer and a phone # where it can be purchased.

S
seamus posted on Mon, Jan 8, 2007 5:18 PM

There's also big machines that do the same thing. I met a guy on the Oregon coast that makes life size figures like miners, vikings, cowboys, etc.. My bubble was burst when he showed me that computerized machine out back doing all the work. Mind you, he still had to carve the original, and they are very impressive.

P
pdrake posted on Mon, Jan 8, 2007 5:32 PM

Want to see the Real DEAL? HERE is the web site for the Manufacturer and a phone # where it can be purchased.

yeah, if they ever get them in stock. read around the forums for awhile. some people have been having problems with them. we were going to buy one, but the size, 14 1/2", was just too limiting for us.

there is no cad control yet. supposedly the software will be upgraded this year sometime. it doesn't hook up to a computer. you do all your work on your computer, put the file on a card and plug the card into the machine.

i've been researching it for a couple of weeks. i guess i'll have to wait until we get our new, larger building and just buy the 5' x 10' table. oh, well.

ST

I drooled when I saw it last nite 2, may have just enough credit left on my card....

B
Bowana posted on Mon, Jan 8, 2007 9:01 PM

If I had access to one I'd sure as heck use it! I saw a demo on how it works and it's pretty amazing.

If anyone gets one, be sure to give us a review, and post some pictures of what you made!

Pages: 1 7 replies