Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Bar Restoration

Pages: 1 35 replies

We were lucky enough to find an original vintage tiki bar whose origins are unknown. We picked it up for free from some guy who just wanted to get rid of an "outdoor bar and stools". What we do know is that it's quite possibly a custom piece, it's original from the tiki heyday, it has a brass plate on it (patent #?), and it's made from the wood from old ships (SOLID and HEAVY). We don't want to risk restoring it ourselves and ruining it. Does anyone know of someone in Southern California who would have the talent to restore such a piece? Or would any furniture restoration place suffice? Any information or help is very much appreciated. Mahalo!

Here's a good tip, for any kind of antique/vintage/collectible furniture, that I picked up from Antiques Roadshow:

Always take it to someone well-versed in furniture restoration, NOT refinishing. You want to do your best not to remove any of the original aging/patina. Of course, if the piece is in compete disrepair, do what you can to save it, even if it means taking back down to bare wood.

Does anyone down south have any names? -and would you post pictures of before and after?

The bar top and one of the stools appears to have been sanded, but everything else is thick and layered with lacquer. It's at the point where it has been exposed to the elements for so long that the layers and layers of lacquer are cracked. There doesn't seem to be a consistent patina to it, aside from the brass bands that are on either end of the bar (to hold the 2-plank top together). The brass is naturally weathered, but the rest of the bar is greyish where the lacquer has come off, and a beautiful rich color where the lacquer has held on. We tried to identify the wood, but the most info we got was from someone who's brother built tiki bars back in the 50s and 60s...it's made from old doors (storage, I think) from barges, and the carved-out circles with a metal band running across it are actually the handles. Any truth to this? Just because I was told that, doesn't mean it's true. :) Prior to finding out about this, we noticed that Bahookas in Rosemead seems to use the same type of wood throughout (including on the exterior of their bulding). I'll try to get a picture of the bar to post. Remarkably, there is no rot and it doesn't appear to be too damaged. What we thought was termite damage on the bar front turned out to be wormwood. The thing is completely solid and formidably heavy, they certainly don't make them like that anymore! Thanks for the tip!

H

How about a pic "as-is"?

I've done a few old Boat Hatch bar tops.

Were in So Cal are you?

A picture would help, too.

I'm in North Orange County, Yorba Linda to be exact. I'm trying my best to get a picture, but we have horrendous winds at the moment and the bar is in the RV parking, under an RV cover, tarped, with tons of stuff stacked around it (and on it) to protect it from the last rains (and any upcoming rains). When the winds die down we'll dig it out to get a picture, the best I can get at the moment would be one of the stools and maybe some bad shots of the bar with a lot of gardening supplies stacked around it. I know pictures are needed, we tried last night but the winds were really whipping in our area.

We're trying for the pictures tonight, but I did get the patent number. The plate reads Cocks Patent 1,864,232 which comes up with the following on the USPTO website:

United States Patent 1,864,232
Issue Date: June 21, 1932

Current U.S. Class: 52/578
Current International Class: B63B 19/00 (20060101); B63B 19/16 (20060101)

And the drawing comes up with...you guessed it....a ship's hatch cover. So here I was hoping to find the manufacturer and came up with zip. Grrr.

[ Edited by: Lonepalm77 2007-01-09 19:01 ]

Finally, I have pictures. It's in sad shape, but at least the wood hasn't rotted out.

Front of bar:

Back of bar:

Brass band w/ patent #:

Bar stool (three of them came with it):

TD

I LIKE THAT.

M
McTiki posted on Tue, Jan 9, 2007 7:30 PM

Many possibilities in this one. Hmmmmm. Nice thick and vintage feel. I like the brass details. Looks like a "clean it up and just re-glass it" job. Just don't know how that is done on this scale. Ben?

McTiki

[ Edited by: McTiki 2007-01-09 19:31 ]

Absolutely gorgeous bar. you scored with that one.

I think the patenet numbr is either for the hatch door or the metal fixture around the hatch door, I don't think it's for the bar.

Where in so cal are you?

Yeah, after pulling up the patent and seeing a date of 1932 I went ahead and checked out the drawing attached to the patent. It's for the hatch cover.

I'm in North Orange County, CA...I've been in contact with Bamboo Ben, so I'm anxious to hear what he has to say.

R

Just to echo, nice score. Hard to tell but from the pictures looks to be in good shape. Nice base for going more tiki.

That is really delightful! Congrats on the new addition. :D

P

On 2007-01-09 18:57, Lonepalm77 wrote:
It's in sad shape,

I agree! It is in sad shape. I can come up and take it of your hands around 10am tomorrow. You do not even have to pay me. I'll just use it as fire wood. :wink:

Wow! Mahalo for the extra info....the patent website that I found only had 1/2 of the drawing and no text.

The one thing that struck me about the bar first and foremost (aside from its WEIGHT) is how COMFORTABLE it is when you belly up to it. The arms rest perfectly in the smooth wavy notches in the bar top. Has anyone seen anything like this before? Or is ship hatch furniture generally unique as a rule? If it is from the tiki heyday, I'm almost wondering if it was kept inside for many years...the rope hasn't rotted away at all, and I doubt the stools have been reupholstered. The material is holding on strong and not falling apart. They're still mostly fluffy and comfy, but are pretty dirty.

Could it be a more recent piece? I still haven't been able to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.