Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Lap style Surfboard Guitar

Pages: 1 9 replies

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jan 8, 2007 5:39 PM

This was built by a guy on the Aussie hot rod site I am on, thought people would dig it. I love it myself, not 100% tiki, but 100% kool!

I was asked to build a guitar for a display at the Australian Surf Museum down in Torquay. I made it from Jellatong with a myrtle stringer down the guts. It weighs virtually nothing,but has a lot of sustain and tone.
It's played lap style. Theres a single Danelectro lipstick tube pick up under the chrome cover.
It's the first completely scratchbuilt guitar I've done for seven years, It got me off my arse and back into building,which is cool.
I'm building a couple more at the moment,one to keep and the other for a mate. The one I'm keeping will be getting pinstriped. The other will get Hawiian style stencils of palm trees and stuff.
I'm doing a Tele style thing and a 57 LP junior copy as well.

Kustom Kahoona* - Tiki and Hot Rod Art by Hewey*

[ Edited by: hewey 2007-01-08 17:41 ]

Love all of the surfboard design drawings on the wall. I have a bunch of cool board art designs I ve done over the years. I'm always submitting to long board magazine to see if I can win a new board, even though I LOVE the board Ive got.
Its a Greg Knoll custom tri fin 9 ft. Dawn

H

Just sent these pix to my bud who's a board shaper and guitarist. I'm sure he'll call me as soon as his wife administers the smelling salts.

SF

That is cool!
How does it sound?

F

I was about to aks about the sound as well. I looks very cool, If I had any musicall talent I'd be begging for one. As is I'm only lusting after it and putting learnig more than the three chords (that don't go together) that I know on my things to do before I die list.

S
squid posted on Tue, Jan 9, 2007 9:13 AM

AWESOME, Hewey! Has Bong seen this yet?
When are you making the pedal version that converts to an ironing board?

Very cool hewey - I'll bet if he builds one and paints it a metalflake, it would go over great as well. I almost bought one one time - it was a 1952 Fender lap steel with mother of pearl finish on it. Thanks for posting this!

K

OMG hewey -- that is the coolest lapsteel I've seen yet. Seems as though it might be a bit unwieldy on the lap, but then one doesn't know until one tries it out. How's it play/sound!?

I have to show this to some kats I know...

TJW

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jan 9, 2007 7:02 PM

Im going to PM him to find out how it sounds...

Very sweet indeed :)

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jan 9, 2007 8:28 PM

It sounds really good. It's has a bright tone,but a lot of sustain. Not as fat as say, an early Gibson lap,but not as top endy as a Fender. It's like the bridge/middle combination position on a Strat. A lot of top,but doesn't tear your head off.

Oh yeh, he's also contemplating a tiki based one too :) :) :)

Kustom Kahoona* - Tiki and Hot Rod Art by Hewey*

[ Edited by: hewey 2007-01-09 23:38 ]

Pages: 1 9 replies