Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Tiki Fender Acoustics

Pages: 1 35 replies

I'm very excited to finally announce this. I've been working with Fender guitar for the last year on 4 tiki themed acoustic guitars. Fender just announced the news on their web site, link below. They are releasing one guitar per quarter in 2007 the first "Tiki Femme Fatale" should be available by the end of February and #2 will be out in April. I'll be doing limited editions of each piece, editions of 100.

http://www.fender.com/news/index.php?display_article=156

Cheers!

Limited edition print

J

Oh man, that rocks!!! Great score for you! Now I wish I knew how to play and could afford a Fender.

Cheers :music: :drink: :music:

That, is cooler than cool!

Outstanding Doug! What a great partnership for you and Fender. I hope the fourth guitar is an A-

tuned guitar. Also, I am interested in the Femme Fatale and Unquiet Village print when available.

Cheers

M

Awesome Doug! That's great news and those are great looking guitars. Congrats!

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jan 11, 2007 5:55 PM

SWEET :) :) :)

Thanks Doug!! I really dig mine.

Far out Doug!

I'd love to see a closeup of the velvet monkey guitar too it looks like its a little different than the actual painting...

BTW, Is that a mini guitar or are you like seven feet tall?

(Hey Doug! Check out NoNaMe's pad! I swear it's like a frickin' Doug Horne Museum in there... and watch out, he's got the "Romance Lighting" on! When the Tiki-Condo's a-rockin' don't go a-knockin'!!!)

Hey All,

Wanted to add just a quick note to Doug's post...What a pleasure it was working with Mr. Swamp Fire - Although I'm slowly going broke, but I like it, I like it...

It's always cool when somebody is soooo good at what they do that you can just let them do their thing. Doug, thanks!

Thought the TC folks might enjoy a couple of photos...The first is the Creative team on this project, along with a few special consultants...Left to right are:

Rich Siegle, Fender Director of Branding
Brian Tedeschi, Fender Licensing
The One, The Only, the Magnificent Doug Horne...
Clay Lyons, Fender Graphic Artist
Fender Tiki, AKA known as Ron K.
And last, but certainly not least, a certain TC regular on a secret mission at Fender. Oh, what could it be? Ah yes, the one and only MakeDaMug....

We've got a whole lot of Tiki people here at Fender - this has been a blast. Per request, here's a pic of the Monkey Business guitar...

We're officially launching these at NAMM (the Music Industry's big trade show) next week. If anyone is interested, I will post photos when I get back.

Mahalo, rk

[ Edited by: fendertiki 2007-01-12 09:19 ]

I be at the NAMM show on Saturday!!! I'll see you there!!!

WAY TO GO!!!!! That is so cool Doug. Congratulations. Your art and Fender guitars.. nothing could be cooler than that!

Chongolio

This is just an outright awesome collaboration! I got to preview these puppies and they are nothing short of phenomenal.

What's been the most fun for me is, over the last year or so, seeing the Tiki bug bite the good folks at Fender. Ron Kronewitter (project leader) is now one of our best customers! The workplace environment at Fender, all of the great people involved in this project... sometimes it just doesn't feel like work you know?!

Hank - it's not an illusion. Doug's 6'7" and whenever I meet up with Doug, I feel like I'm talking to his clavical.

Yep, it's so...I'm 6'5", and Doug makes me look up!

Awesome!!!

Now Fender needs a Tiki Hut built in their showroom to display
these correctly!

hint...hint...

On 2007-01-12 10:37, RevBambooBen wrote:
Awesome!!!

these correctly!

hint...hint...

And a monkey to sit in the tiki hut all day and play them.

hint...hint...hint

If by "showroom" you mean my backyard, and by "a monkey to play the bongos all day" you mean me, you're both right on!!!

:D

B

Congrats Doug and Welcome Fendertiki, come on in and stay awhile. The tiki-coustics are gonna be phenomenal. Way to go

T

Very cool guitars! Good work Doug!

Way to go, Doug! What beautiful art on the guitars too! Congratulations on a great project.... I knew those Fender guys were alright too! My '52 Reissue tele is my main guitar, so there you have a great product with great artwork on it. Now we just have to find out what Holden has up his sleeve! :)

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: sam gambino 2007-01-12 16:29 ]

Wow, Doug! Outstanding! Congrats on boosting our genre in the music industry. Maybe I missed it, but how many of these jewels will be produced?

M
Moki posted on Fri, Jan 12, 2007 9:45 PM

Can't wait to see one in person.

Great work as always Doug!!

On 2007-01-12 10:16, fendertiki wrote:
Yep, it's so...I'm 6'5", and Doug makes me look up!

Thanks everyone for the comments I really appreciate it.

Ron, Hank and Holden, my tallness is all done with smoke and mirrors, I'm actually the size of Mini Me. Take a picture at just the right angle and you'll see.

Aaron, last I heard Ron said 600 of each guitar. Not set in stone I'm sure.

On 2007-01-12 10:37, RevBambooBen wrote:

these correctly!

hint...hint...

Ron, we all have to take a field trip down the the Kon Tiki in Tucson and you can see BambooBens handy work.

Below is a better image of the Monkey Business piece.

CA

CoooooooooooooooL.................

HL

Any announcements about prices yet?

Thanks for the Monkey Biz blowup!

P

That is incredible work and a very cool promotional/instrument.

Bob Benedetto, who was working with Fender for a while, has been here at the Lagoon Lounge a few times, once with tikiconvert, and mentioned that there were a few tiki-freaks at Fender.

I had no idea. Wow.

Hey Doug...I've been to the Kon Tiki, and Ben's work is AMAZING...And, the drinks weren't bad either!

Now on to more pedestrian matters! The Tiki guitars are going to be released one per quarter, 600 pieces per design. MSRP on the guitars will be approximately $575, and should be available nationwide...More details on that to follow. If TC-ites desire, I can put up a link later to a site that will have participating dealers, making them easier to find.

Anyway, I'll post photos later in the week of the display with the Tiki-coustics. Thanks to Holden W. for sending me out a bevy of Tiki display items for use in our display. Hey, it's gotta be right!

And "Sperm Whale"...I'll be around on Saturday, please say hello when you stop by!

Mahalo...

fendertiki...Aka Ron K.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jan 17, 2007 6:58 PM

So when are we going to see a Fender/Tiki Farm project guys? :)

Kustom Kahoona* - Tiki and Hot Rod Art by Hewey*

[ Edited by: hewey 2007-01-17 18:59 ]

F

Is that illustrator or photoshop your using there on the computer? I'm jealous either way. Very cool indeed.

Ahhhh....Namm. Thought maybe, just maybe somebody would be interested in pics of the launch of the Tikicoustics...

Thanks again, Holden...You totally ROCK, Fender style...

B

Excellent, How do you spell WOW? Can't wait to hear how it all went. They really into Tiki over there?

The display looks great!
The Tiki Farm tiki's really help pull it all together.
Looks like your got the prototype for #3. Looking farward to seeing it in person.

I'll try to take some more pic's of the display when I go to the NAMM show on Saturday. I am looking forward to meeting you Ron.

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale 2007-01-19 16:51 ]

Hey S-Dub (Dub for "W")...Did you make it into the Show on saturday? If so, I'm bummed that I missed you...

Great response to the Tiki-coustics...Lots of either confused stares, or folks taking pics and nodding. Either one's OK for me...The only reaction I don't want is the ole shrug of the shoulders, and the "Ah, it's OK"...

B

Doug and Ron, I think I just Gotta get one of thos Monkey Business Acoustics when they come out before they are all gone. They are Just so , SO ,,,Tiki Awsome and I Just Have to get one,,,,,..

I

It may be time for you musicans out there to purchase another guitar.

The Musician's Friend website is now offering a sale on all three styles of Doug Horne's tiki-themed acoustic guitars (Monkey Business, Tiki Drummer, Tiki Femme Fatale). Original list price of $571, now selling for $200, including free shipping. I'm tempted to buy one, and I don't even play guitar!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=tiki

Pages: 1 35 replies