Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Mondo Tiki... revisited

Pages: 1 20 replies

M

I'm heading up to the Hard Rock tomorrow to meet with those folks. It was mentioned that perhaps Brian Setzer might be headlining the upcoming "Mondo Tiki" event. I'll keep you informed - looks like a go, but there's a lot of cooks in the kitchen to make this happen. If it does, it's the Saturday of Easter weekend.
Holden

Sounds awesome! Can't wait for the details. Hard Rock Vegas is da kine! Pool area is Mondo Bamboo!

This is gonna be over the top. Suicide-Sam and I were just talking about that weekend.

Hey Holden, there's already going to be a bunch of Tiki Centralites at Vegas that weekend for Viva Las Vegas. When you get your flyers ready we can get those out for you at Viva to spread word on the event.

Hey Sam & Chiki,
I'll put together something soon - we've got some good stuff in the works! The grounds are FULL-ON TIKI with a major Bali theme. Now Chiki, let's talk 'bout you haulin' up some tikis fer sale/display. I'm in tradeshow mode (yawn...stress!) then I'm diggin in come late January! I'm in charge of the daytime event and all that goes into it so if anybody wants to put in their suggestions, please feel free!
Holden

You rock Holden, we'll roll like stones!
Viva!

I'm already planning and carving the pieces Holden. I might stop by the farm on sat.

Danny,
I won't be there this Saturday - doin' the "deep in the dank trenches of commerce" thing at the LA Gift Show.
Holden

Got a lttle info out of Holden yesterday at the L.A. gift show (had to fetch him a teriaki bowl for it) and he told me that "Mondo Tiki" is going to be big! Mondo ie; BIG!

NN2

My wife called me to rant about traffic as she was late for work and stuck behind some truck getting off the freeway to go to the L.A. Gift Show (she's a sales rep.) Bamboo Ben was all it said.

I told you Ben, that's the only good thing about sitting in traffic. I agree, this thing is gonna be HUGE, I feel it in my bones. I just picked designs for the tikis I am gonna show there. I am gonna drive my poor wife crazy until then.

That's funny Nui! Who & what does she rep? That show is crazy! Down in the "Hole" or Kenitia Hall, it's like being in a giant open market (or basement) in like a 3rd world country! Tiki Farm was in South Hall with (a killer booth) and the semi normal people. Never made it to the West Hall, ran out of time. But, Mrs. Boo & I had lunch with Judy aka Bamboo2U and Teresa aka Kilohana. We're gonna start carrying some other tiki bar accessories to go along with the Bamboo Ben Tiki Bars and Tiki Farm mugs, etc.

It's ink'd. I'm meeting w/the Hard Rock people this Friday to sign the contract (err... it's about to be ink'd). The date is Sat., April 19th - poolside starts at 10am, concert at the Joint is slated for 9pm. More to follow soon!
Holden

A bit more dirt...
The BSO (Brian Setzer Orchestra) rumors are factual - opening band is slated to be Royal Crown Revue. It's all in negotiations right now - I'm hopin' to get this finalized Tues., 02/04 so I can post some real stuff. The day will be ultra tiki poolside lounge, requisite w/3-4 bands, deep-tiki grounds decor, top floor poly cocktails and as the HR will have it to get their "E Channel/Wild-On" billing, a "Tini Bikini Wahine" competition along with my request for "That F'n Ugly Aloha Shirt" contest. The daytime activities will commence at 10am and go through 8pm (w/a nighttime 9-midnight concert at the Joint) and end w/polynesian fire jugglers/tropical drums. The grounds decor will be a mass collaboration of all tikiphile creators w/some hopeful big' ol smokin' 10+ plus Wayne Coomber's. Appleton's Rum (umm... yumm... hiccup!) is slated to sponsor the alcohol - perhaps TVic's might do the mixers (a great combo!). Shag branded/ltd. event commemorative paraphernelia along w/ ltd. ed. event mugs by Al, Drew, Jimmy C., Squid,
Joe Vitale, Pizzuti, Danny G.. Rumor'd is also Shag gaming layouts (black jack, craps) but that's still got some serious work-up to happen. That's it for now - more to come as it's available.
Holden

I was just at Bamboo Ben's today and he more or less talked me into going to this Mondo thing. Not that there was a lot of convincing that he had to do. Now that Setzer will play for sure and RCR is opening! I've already started the engine to my car.

By the way, Ben has got the coolest shop and some great stuff. If you're in the area, you gotta stop by.

Can't wait for the info on the Mondo event. I want to get my tickets as soon as possible!

Holden,
This events sounds MONDO indeed! But at the risk of sounding frugal, what's it gonna cost to get in? What are the tiki mugs gonna cost? And, what's the RSR/BSO show gonna cost? I'm gonna need to start saving my pennies....

CA

start saving your coconuts,bananas,and mangos now... YOU CHEEP TIKI BASTARDS!!!

yours truely,
King of the Cheep Tiki Bastards

M

On 2003-02-03 00:43, Luckydesigns wrote:
Now that Setzer will play for sure and RCR is opening! I've already started the engine to my car.

Setzer and Royal Crown Revue aren't ink'd yet - I will let you all know if/when as soon as I know (it's all still being negotiated).

PolyPop - costing is ultimately up to the HR but I'm striving for low costs. There is a lot to fork out for those involved so it's kind of a catch 22. I can't say as of yet - it is Vegas... it is the Hard Rock BUT, I will do my damndest to keep the costing down - most especially the entrance fee into the daytime event and the cocktail costs. The nighttime gig is out of my hands as it's between the BSO & RCR people and the HR people.
Holden

Holden Westland
Tiki Farm
"Purveyors of Polynesian Pop Culture"
http://www.tikifarm.com

[ Edited by: smogbreather on 2003-02-03 21:40 ]

Didn't mean to jump the gun. "The rumors are factual" means that the rumors are true. Not that the show's gonna happen for sure.

Still can't wait though.
Good luck Holden

T

Factual rumors = Definately maybe

Thanks Turbo, that's what I was trying to say.

Pages: 1 20 replies