Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Heads up New Yorkers: Stan Freberg Jan.28th-Feb.1st at Feinstein's. MUST SEE!

Pages: 1 9 replies

O.K., it's not Tiki, but I did not want anybody to miss this:

I had the good fortune to get to see a try out performance of AN EVENING WITH STAN FREBERG at the Hollywood Magic Castle last night. Ihad the best time since I don't know when. I dared not to hope, but it came true. His new wife had the good sense to put together all his best CLASSIC material:
St. John and the Dragonet, Day-O, bits from John and Marsha. You get to see old slides and even screenings of his best old commercial work for Chung King and Prunes. This guy has 21 Clios to his name.
What makes it so rich is his storytelling, I could have listened to him for hours. And to see the man BE John AND Marsha, and do the soundeffects for Day-O...
I was like a kid in a candy store.

This was a tryout for his upcoming performances at FEINSTEIN'S AT THE REGENCY in New York, at 540 Park Avenue (at 61st Street), January 28th -February 1st at 8:30. plus a late show Fri and Sat at 11:00. Tickets and further info: 212/ 339-40 95

If you have no idea who Stan Freberg is/was, get his CDs now and get into it!

F

Freberg is great. So I suppose he's not going to do any more shows in L.A.?

A
aquarj posted on Thu, Jan 9, 2003 2:16 PM

I'd like to echo this about Freberg. A year or two ago he and his son spoke, performed, and answered questions after a screening of Lady And The Tramp at Long Beach State (Stan provided voices for that), and it was a real treat. He's right up there with people like Thurl Ravenscroft (Disney tiki room voices, also Tony the Tiger) for great all time voices.

Everything was great except for Freberg's hair.

-Randy

On 2003-01-09 14:16, aquarj wrote:
Everything was great except for Freberg's hair.
-Randy

You will be happy to know that he is now perm-less. (Apparently Stan's wife was not a fan either) So without that curly distraction we were treated to a fabulous evening of entertainment. New Yorkers, check it out!

-Weird Unc

[ Edited by: weirduncletiki on 2003-01-09 17:26 ]

Hmmm...from the reaction this post has (not) been getting I have to assume that none of the TC New Yorkers do know Stan Freberg...
Can that be? Not that that is a CRIME, just curious.

BigBro-

Thanks for the heads up; unfortunatly I had not heard of him till your post. Looked him up though and it all seems like a load if fun.

I'll book my seats for Feinstein's; I can always use to learn something new!

InkyLouise

So you mean that Stan Freberg isn't the guy whom I buy my pastrami sandwiches from at Katz's Deli?? Well, it's always a tiki expert who's going teach me a thing or two!
(If I can afford this show, I would love to go.)

More wisdom: Freberg did writing and the voices for:
Beany and Cecil
Fractured Fairy Tales on the Bullwinkle show
Pete Puma on Bugs Bunny

...and knowledge of Freberg is really more a generational thing (I am OLD), like my dad in Hamburg was into him, also into Spike Jones.

Youth is overrated.

Guess what???!? I just got off the phone w/ Feinstiens and the Freburg shows are cancelled "due to a scheduleing conflict".

They must also booked Eartha Kitt that week, and she scratched their eyes out!

They said they will reschedule, but it is not known when....so much for our education.

"It is not by the white of the hair that one knows the age of the heart."

Pages: 1 9 replies