Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Tiki Aquarium

Pages: 1 8 replies

S

Came across this aquarium. It says it is salt water, but looking at the dimensions, there is no way it will work well. You need a good 50 gallons to even think about supporting salt water fish.

I've had a lot of success with mini reef systems, 10 gal, 20, and currently a 35 gal bow front with 50lbs of live rock. Mini reef systems are very popular in even this small size shown. I've seen these tanks in only the pricey stores, as they are not cheap.

But with water quality (good filter) and frequent water changes you can sustain a couple of small marine fish along with a chunk or two of live rock in something this small. Proper lighting also makes a difference, but they now have high intensity bulbs even this small. It was amazing what I kept in a 10 gallon reef, that was 12 years before today's technology.

Here's a 7 and 2.5 gallon nano reef...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2007-01-23 07:56 ]

S

Hmm. I did not know that. My friend said he had a 35 gallon he kept fine for years, but, he's a nut. I thought you needed a pretty large tank to keep things from going wrong quickly. Now we know.

CA

the owner of the Kona Club in Oakland has mini tanks in his first bar,,,, says it's a bitch to keep the little expensive f'er alive....

sine sculpt on the tank... good for them.

V

Man - I saw this aquarium and rushed over here thinking I'd be the first to post it on the ol' TC - silly me! I dig the sculpture on the top - but the base sculpt isn't as tight. I'd fill it with fresh water and put a bunch of fake 'zombie fish" in it or something so I wouldn't have to worry about keeping a little critter healthy and happy.

The Aloha Tiki aquarium comes with options of fresh or salt. AND, you can have the fake rock and sculpts or opt in for the real thing. I'd love to have one for my bar (fresh water, possibly) but I can't afford the Aloha Tiki.

On 2007-01-23 07:51, Lake Surfer wrote:
I've had a lot of success with mini reef systems, 10 gal, 20, and currently a 35 gal bow front with 50lbs of live rock. Mini reef systems are very popular in even this small size shown. I've seen these tanks in only the pricey stores, as they are not cheap.

But with water quality (good filter) and frequent water changes you can sustain a couple of small marine fish along with a chunk or two of live rock in something this small. Proper lighting also makes a difference, but they now have high intensity bulbs even this small. It was amazing what I kept in a 10 gallon reef, that was 12 years before today's technology.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2007-01-23 07:56 ]

True!
I kept a 10 gal. going strong in my high school marine biology class( you'll have to guess how far back that was!) and we stocked our aquariums with sealife we caught ourselves on 'field trips' to the beach, released all back to the gulf waters at the year's end--darn, another field trip. five minutes to drop 'em in the water, two hours for frisbee...yes, teen life was tough in Florida!
K.

( you'll have to guess how far back that was!)

Was it the stone age??

Arrr!:)

T

Check out JohnnyP's aquarium over HERE

Itsa real nice!

Pages: 1 8 replies