Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Tiki Eyeball - Aku Tiki Inn - May 18-20th

Pages: 1 2 56 replies

Kevin, its all good. Your tikis are a-ok in my book, and freestyle at that. I'd probably cut an arm or leg off if I gave the saw a go. :o

I felt like a stranger in your world... rods, pinstripers and pinups. I'm just a landlocked surfer looking for a piece of the South Pacific.

Fun times this past weekend... I'm sure our paths will cross again soon!

S

Kevin, your work is cool. It's different styles for different tastes and no one can argue about that. Your work was a great show and really amped things up. It was way cool.

My trip report with more pics is here.

[ Edited by: Swanky 2007-05-23 07:05 ]

Hey Swanky,

Love the pics on your site! That "Church of the Future" is cool, and it has an interesting story behind it--apparently it used to the headquarters for the Sandy's fast food chain back in the 50's. Glen Andris, the guy who built the Aku Tiki room, used to be the owner of the Sandy's chain, until it was bought out by Hardee's. The corporate HQ got turned into a church at some point, and Glen got to run a bunch of Hardee's restaurants in the upper Midwest as part of the buyout deal. And of course some of the money he made over the years went towards building his wonderful little paradise-in-a-cornfield.

Not too long ago I designed a drink menu for them (for free drinks of course!) Did they ever get around to getting them printed?

On 2007-05-23 14:41, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:
Hey Swanky,

Love the pics on your site! That "Church of the Future" is cool, and it has an interesting story behind it--apparently it used to the headquarters for the Sandy's fast food chain back in the 50's. Glen Andris, the guy who built the Aku Tiki room, used to be the owner of the Sandy's chain, until it was bought out by Hardee's. The corporate HQ got turned into a church at some point, and Glen got to run a bunch of Hardee's restaurants in the upper Midwest as part of the buyout deal. And of course some of the money he made over the years went towards building his wonderful little paradise-in-a-cornfield.

Not too long ago I designed a drink menu for them (for free drinks of course!) Did they ever get around to getting them printed?

Ah, I answered my own question by looking on page 3 of the thread! I need to make it back down there for some headhunters...

Kevin, you brought it, man! Best part of Saturday! I have to say-the Aku Tiki Room is on my best of list-well, well worth a visit. Carol, Venita, Tom, and staff are beautiful people, and they mix a superb tropical drink and treat a person they just met like an old friend. The place is jam-packed with vintage Oceanic Arts, Witco, and Orchids Of Hawaii decor (and now a Basement Kahuna Marquesan plaque!), beautifully lit, with an extensive drink menu, and is a true tiki oasis, in the middle of Illinois, literally in the middle of a cornfield.

Lake, Swanky- good to see you guys again. Also good to meet so many new folks. Had to leave early Saturday, so I missed the car show antics. Was great to get back to the Aku Friday night...and I am heading back with a group this weekend.

Tonga- great to meet a fellow '61 300G owner. I will be in contact with you soon about that!

Also, Kevin...any way you can reschedule that North Carolina trip on 8/10? It is a shame that this year's Hula Hop falls on a weekend where you guys can't make it. We'll have to make up for it in '08!

I wish I could make the Hula Hop. If there's any change in vacation plans, I'll be there. I was at the last two, it is a killer time! Did anyone get pics from the Miss Tiki Eyeball deal on Sat. nite?

B

Tiki Carving - Classic Cars - Booze - Babes & Boogie!!

You Mid West Masters got's some major smack down party skills!

Us West Coast Choppers could stand to lesson up from you torchers!

Bravo!

S
Swanky posted on Sun, Jun 3, 2007 3:14 PM

Pages: 1 2 56 replies