Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

The San Diego Chop and Much More! - March 10 !!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 192 replies

The 10th would work out best for me.

H

11th of March sounds good.

I'm with Kate....10th works best for me....

M
mieko posted on Wed, Feb 21, 2007 3:42 PM

Either day works for me, and I like that weekend. I will bring spam, and a casting demo would be perfect!

Grocery stores in San Diego are going to start to wonder about this sudden uptick in spam purchases. :)

On 2007-02-20 20:09, Zaya wrote:
The weekend of March 10th or 11th looks good to me. Would either one of those days work for you 4WDtiki?

Pretty much anytime works for me. :D
Hoping to see lots more replies before we pick a date.

H

That weekend is good for me. :)

B

Hey....I have to be in Philly for work around that time, but I think its the 6th and 7th that I have to go?....let me double check it tomorrow. I really want to make this one.

A casting demo would be very sweet indeed!

Babalu

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Feb 22, 2007 5:58 AM

Can Chet come too?

T

The date doesn't matter to me...I'd pass on almost everything else to go to the SD Chop Chop. I think I'm turning into a chopoholic. Is there a 12 step program for this?

Hoping this doesn't fall on the 31st -- that's the day of the Disneyland Tiki Room event.

B

I'm on! Sat or Sun? Will bring goodies. Chop-Chop-Chop and Chop some more...

It won't be the 31st, Cheeky, I can't wait that long!

Most votes are for the weekend of the 10th/11th, and I'm leaning towards the 11th (Sunday), because there was a request for a Sunday last month.

I keep thinking about having a 2 day Chop, with a party Sat. nite... how cool would that be?!? :D Except I doubt anything would get accomplished on Sunday! :wink:

I'm going to be in San Francisco the weekend of 3/10 :)
So, sadly, if the chop chop does occur on that weekend, obviously, I can't make it :(
But I will be in for the next month's chop chop!!!!

If it's the 10th I'm in.

Hey Bill - any word on the final date for this gig? It's gettin' closer... :)

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Feb 27, 2007 1:05 PM

I think I requested Sunday last time, but if makes no diff this time. Why not a two dayer? Show up either/or both? Maybe Saturday could be the big day with food, drinks and Sunday could be a show up to polish and detail?

On 2007-02-22 15:03, 4WDtiki wrote:
I keep thinking about having a 2 day Chop, with a party Sat. nite... how cool would that be?!? :D

Yeah, Cam, I'd like to do two days. I was hoping for more response on it. We have lots of room for tents, or bring a sleepingbag for the floor... If not this month, maybe in the future.

So fellow carvers, opinions? Saturday the 10th, Sunday the 11th, both, neither?

go with the 10th!!! so the options of getting a drink somewhere after or such is there.....plus sundays are for zzzzzzzz'ing late :wink:

B

Both days would be cool if it looks like no rain? So your cool with us posting tents up in the yard there?...cool.

I'll bring the hotdogs and some disposable surgical knives for Tiki Dog action...you have a hot grill, yes?

I can also bring my propane fire dancer...

M
mieko posted on Tue, Feb 27, 2007 3:10 PM

I'll be there two days if you hold it two days. :) I'm not sure if I'll be able to walk on Monday, but hey, walking is overrated anyway. :)
Of course since all the guys wimped out before 3pm last time, I don't know how they think they're gonna make it 2 days.

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Feb 27, 2007 3:52 PM

Mieko, get it straight.

Girl carvers are shallow.

Male carvers do it deep.

On 2007-02-27 13:13, Clysdalle wrote:
go with the 10th!!! so the options of getting a drink somewhere after or such is there.....plus sundays are for zzzzzzzz'ing late :wink:

Actually, Sundays are for swap meets.

quote]
On 2007-02-27 13:11, 4WDtiki wrote:

Yeah, Cam, I'd like to do two days. I was hoping for more response on it. We have lots of room for tents, or bring a sleepingbag for the floor...

Tiki slumber party? I may just have to give up my plans on the 11th for that.

On 2007-02-27 13:05, Cammo wrote:
Maybe Saturday could be the big day with food, drinks and Sunday could be a show up to polish and detail?

Or do carving on Saturday and resin casting on Sunday.

On 2007-02-27 15:52, Cammo wrote:
Mieko, get it straight.

Girl carvers are shallow.

Male carvers do it deep.

Punkass!

Boy carvers may have more fun, but Girl Carvers get the job done!
Girl Carvers Rule!

M

Actually, Sundays are for swap meets.

There's always the Oceanside Swap meet, just a few minutes from Bill's. :) Tiki Slumber party sounds great and I do have a tent, but I'll probably wimp out and sleep at my parent's. But they're officially stumbling distance from the house, I don't have to drive if we are going to party. :)

We should get a roll call for each day, that way we can pick a time for the casting demo, and plan some food.

B

Hey,

Not sure if you guys are into this or not, but I have a lot of sculpture clay laying around the house here with extra clay tools which I could bring to the Chop...if we decide that we can do a two day thingy, it might be kind of fun to fool with some clay as well at some point during the night after the hammer swinging is over? I could show those interested how to put together your first "one of a kind" tiki mug, or clay tiki that would incorporate your own individual styles....I believe that this could be fun, and done relatively quickly with a drink in the other hand. We might get some funky stuff...What do you think? Any interest, or would this be too much?

This is my propane fire pit...it's not as hot as a wood fire, but you get no smoke, and we could put it quite easily under Bills porch w/o fear of burning anything. I use it under my porch quite a bit.

Babalu

C

I'd be super interested in doing some clay work, how hot do you fire? Is this stoneware??? Got any glaze???

Hey, Cats and Kittens, lets lay off the ancient boy vs. gurl stuff. Choppers are choppers. And I heard Mieko at the last chop getting really interested in power tools, look out! She's my fave carver and a girl too! Deluxe Combo!

And - we should challenge the OC & LA carvers (where are they???) to a no-rules anything goes Wild Tiki Weekend TEAM CHOP OFF!

I Double Dog Dare you sniveling LAers! We'll SPOT YOU A FRIGGING LOG!

M

I'm interested in clay! And anything we can do with a drink in one hand is always good. I know better than to use my hook knife after I've had a drink. I also have a friend who would probably be interested in coming up for some clay work in the evening, he's taking sculpture classes right now, but isn't into tiki that much. :(

Oh, and if we need more table space, I can arrange for a few banquet tables and probably a good amount of folding chairs.

B

Hey Cammo,

What I have on hand is several 50 lb bags of buff colored - cone 10 - high fire sculpture clay that I would be happy to donate for us to have some fun with...it has a little bit grainier texture than most low fire clays, but it is more forgiving in the kin for sculpture. I have low fired this clay before for completed works and it holds up fine...I have even worked with low fire glazes on this clay with success. I can explain and demo at the chop if a few decide that this is something they might like to try. Whatever we come up with, our pieces would have to be dried and bisque fired before we could glaze them...again, I could work everyone through this process. I have a large kin. But it is not hooked up right now...we could all bisque fire and glaze fire these works at any one of these "paint it yourself" little ceramic places that are everywhere for very little money. All in all, it would allow everyone to party and get their hands dirty on a different media as a little change of pace.

Alot of good discussion here! I love clay, it was my medium in the 90's. I might still have my tools.

Here's what my current thoughts are. Saturday day, we chop wood. Somewhere around dinnertime, we segue into clay and alcohol. Continue thru the evening. Anyone who wants to stay over does. Sunday morning, maybe breakfast, then chop is over. If people end up hanging around for more, that's okay too. Just not an "Official" 2-Day Chop.

Also, I love the fire pit, Rick, and the tables and chairs, Mieko. Bring'em!

And I forgot about a casting demo. Is someone willing to do one? Maybe that could be Sunday?

B

My schedule is limited to me attending only one of the two days. Saturday works best for me. I can do the resin casting demo. It probably won't take that long, then everyone can get back to choppin'.

B

Rock on man....I really want to see this casting demo.

On 2007-02-28 14:21, 4WDtiki wrote:
Saturday day, we chop wood. Tikidav does a casting seminar. Somewhere around dinnertime, we segue into clay and alcohol. Continue thru the evening. Anyone who wants to stay over does. Sunday morning, maybe breakfast, then official chop is over. If people end up hanging around for more, that's okay too. Just not an "Official" 2-Day Chop.

Okay, I just changed the thread name, so that makes it official. :wink:
The quote above is the working plan.
List of attendees:
Babalu
Tikidav
Mieko
Cammo
Aaron's Akua
Ckysdalle
Tiki-Kate
Colin aka Chet :P
tikihai
Mr. NoNaMe
Aaron's Akua
Zaya?
Buzzy?
pdrake?
Lennie
Me
Anyone else? Speak up!

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2007-03-05 05:37 ]

M
Moki posted on Wed, Feb 28, 2007 11:59 PM

We just got back into town and will try to make it on Saturday.

I think you guys may still have the carving stands or maybe Buzzy does.....

Any chance I can get a re-do of the ti lei lesson that I missed? :blush:

TL

Hey Hey SD Chop Chops, I recently discovered a Canary Island palm that a landscaper chopped in half and just dumped at the end of an isolated street in Rancho Santa Fe. Its about two and a half to three feet in diameter. If anyones interested let me know and I'll send you directions. Happy Chopping.

tiki leki, what street in RSF? I'm out there every day.

Moki, hope you guys can make it. Buzzy took the stands. If you have or get some Ti leaf, Lennie would gladly do the lei making lesson.

TL

Hey 4WDTIKI got a pencil. Via de la valle east to Calle de bosque make a right till you reach the fruit stand. Make another right on Via de santa fe go about a quarter mile and just before you curve to the left you will see a large gate. There's a street on your right take that to the end and you'll find your next tiki. Good luck.

M
Moki posted on Thu, Mar 1, 2007 10:46 PM

Oh...and I forgot to mention that playing with some clay would be fun too.

And just how many ti leaves do I need?? I think I can get them at the Ranch 99 unless you have another suggestion.

T

IN!...this is great. I have been honing my bartending skeels thanks to that book from Cammo. I will bring some bar supplies and booze for Saturday pau hana time.

:( So very jealous! I'm going to miss the chopping & the casting. I will be returning from my SF that day. Ah shucks -- I'll be there next chop chop!

On 2007-03-01 22:46, Moki wrote:
And just how many ti leaves do I need?? I think I can get them at the Ranch 99 unless you have another suggestion.

Lennie says she thinks the leaves at Ranch 99 are banana leaves, not Ti. But she hasn't been there in a while, so she could be wrong, so check that out.
She has a wholesale source that charges $5 a bundle of 20. It takes 2-3 leaves to make one lei. She can get a bundle, or more, if more people want to do it, or do it again. Also, she won't be at the chop til 3 or 4PM. Interested parties, please speak up. :wink:

On 2007-03-01 17:54, tiki leki wrote:
Hey 4WDTIKI got a pencil. Via de la valle east to Calle de bosque make a right till you reach the fruit stand. Make another right on Via de santa fe go about a quarter mile and just before you curve to the left you will see a large gate. There's a street on your right take that to the end and you'll find your next tiki. Good luck.

Found it!
There's two, here's pics.

The wood looks to be very good quality, not rotten or anything. But they are BIG. Top one is about two feet in diameter, bottom one maybe 18".
If anyone wants to get them or a piece off them, I'll help, and get a piece for myself.

B

Wheeler,

I would love to give you a hand....I could use a piece of this as as well.

I'm toast this weekend though...If things slow down next Sunday for us we could bounce over there? What do ya think? Game?

On 2007-02-28 11:07, Babalu wrote:
Hey,

Not sure if you guys are into this or not, but I have a lot of sculpture clay laying around the house here with extra clay tools which I could bring to the Chop...if we decide that we can do a two day thingy, it might be kind of fun to fool with some clay as well at some point during the night after the hammer swinging is over? I could show those interested how to put together your first "one of a kind" tiki mug, or clay tiki that would incorporate your own individual styles....I believe that this could be fun, and done relatively quickly with a drink in the other hand. We might get some funky stuff...What do you think? Any interest, or would this be too much?

I'm so on board with this. I've always wanted to make my own mug. Very very very excited.

Is the resin casting going to be a demo or a workshop?

M
mieko posted on Sat, Mar 3, 2007 4:34 PM

wow, that's a monster of a tree. I hope we can find it good homes. I tried finding carving info on those, but all I found a reference for was making a canoe. You know, I always wanted a little canoe punch bowl like they have at Oceanic Arts... :)

I'd love to make more ti leaf leis, I'll help pitch in for a bundle.

Hubby volunteered to help bartend, he'll be up in the afternoon to mix some drinks.

This is getting better and better! I urge anybody within the sound of my voice :wink:, EVEN IF YOU'RE NOT A CARVER, to come and socialize. It's gonna be a Good Time! 8) :drink:

B
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.