Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Porfidio Rum (Mexico)

Pages: 1 0 replies

T

Has anyone tried the light rum? I bought a bottle at Beverages and More a few months ago, and regretted it as soon as I opened the bottle. It's supposed to be a cane juice-based rum, but it smelled horrible. I don't even really have words to describe it, but it was sort of medicinal, with a little bit of something like starch. I've tried and used 10 Cane rum before, and can appreciate the difference between a cane juice rum and a regular old rum. I was expecting something more along those lines. Porfidio is in a class all by itself.
Maybe I just got a bad bottle or something, but this was the worst rum purchase I've ever made. The taste is okay, and it goes down smooth, but because of the smell, it ruins every mixed drink I've tried, and is even worse if you light it on fire.
Did I mention the smell? It's overpowering with a capital "O". Garnish with mint? Forget it. You won't even be able to tell.
I've seen that Porfidio has an aged gold rum, but that was $40 or $50. I thought the light rum was a rip-off at $30. Has anyone tried the gold? Or found a recipe for the light rum that's actually drinkable?
The bottle is very cool (glass palm tree anchored to the bottom of the bottle), but aside from the decanter possibilities, I'd advise folks to save their cash for a bottle of something else.

Pages: 1 0 replies