Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

appropriate use

Pages: 1 4 replies

P

maybe some others have questions about this, maybe not, but it's something i want to know.

i recently aquired some antique ivory blanks. they came from an estate from the '20s. not sure what kind of ivory it is.

they're not big pieces, but big enough to do some cool stuff with. my first project is earrings (i swear i started these before BK posted his.) and i was thinking of doing a whakarehu shaped earring.

is this appropriate for women to wear? is ivory an appropriate material?

i could always do other designs.

mahalo!

B

Actually I think GMAN might know the correct people to speak with as far as being legal? Since sales of real Ivory have been banned I'm not sure what the legality is about it.

T

Regardless, some activist might spray paint on them.

I

Here is a website with some legal information, from a company that legally sells old pieces of ivory. They do sell raw blocks of ivory, but it is ivory that was legally brought into the country years ago.

They do mention that each state has its own laws regarding the possession and sale of wildlife products, so you should contact your own state game and wildlife agency.

http://www.boonetrading.com/Pg18.html

Lots of interesting pictures, artwork, and hints of working with ivory. I am not a carver myself, but I found the site interesting.

Vern

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jan 27, 2007 11:03 AM

Yes, for Endangered Species Act (ESA) listed species, serious restrictions apply. There are exceptions. I rarely work with this part of the ESA but I will ask several of my friends who are Federal Agents responsible for prosecuting violators if you want me to???

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: gman 2007-01-29 07:18 ]

Pages: 1 4 replies