Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

don tiki’s forbidden love! february 17 in honolulu

Pages: 1 17 replies

DON TIKI’S FORBIDDEN LOVE...
TIKI TORCH SONGS FOR LOVERS!

Larceny/Honolulu Streetwear Corp. presents “Don Tiki’s Forbidden Love” in a special Valentine’s concert on Saturday, February 17, 2007 at Events at the Tower. This exotic evening will include Don Tiki’s classic tunes along with a retro romantic repertoire designed to stir passions. This show will transport you to an island paradise where sensual tropical fantasies still exist!

Honolulu based Don Tiki is the keeper of the flame of the evocative “exotica” genre of jungle jazz music pioneered by the legendary Martin Denny. Their tikipalooza extravaganza has garnered a devout following and includes Hawaii’s top musicians, the gorgeous Don Tiki Dancers, provocative costumes, and quixotic choreography. Don Tiki has played sold-out shows from the Hawaii Theatre to Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville in Las Vegas. Their new show is two tons of fun and your chance to kick back and soak up a little TLC… Tiki Lounge Culture!

Joining Don Tiki onstage and spinning a DJ set after the show is Hawaii’s own Frank Orrall of Poi Dog Pondering, Thievery Corporation and 8fatfat8 fame. G Spot and other guest DJs will also spin. Other special guests appearing with Don Tiki include Lopaka Colon, Willow Chang, and Sherry Shaoling.

Doors open at 8:00 pm at Events at the Tower, Honolulu’s beautiful waterfront venue in Aloha Tower Marketplace. Tickets are $25 pre-sale and $30 at the door. Tickets go on sale starting Friday, January 26. "Tickets available online at http://www.ticketmaster.com, at all Ticketmaster outlets including Times (walk in service only), BYU, and Blaisdell Box Office. To charge tickets by phone, call (877) 750 4400. With the recent resurgence of interest in exotica music and tiki culture in general, tickets are sure to go fast. Don’t miss “Don Tiki’s Forbidden Love” on Saturday, February 17!

Only 13 days till tikipalooza with Don Tiki!
Sooo, I see that the doors open at 8, and music is at 9. I've never been to the Aloha Towers, but the seating chart on ticketmeaster showed the general seating at tables! Cool, so it's totally a night club setting, right? I take it my friends and I can come early and grab a table close to the stage and order tropical drinks? They do serve alkeehall right?

M

Anyone up for a pre-show drink at La Mariana?

L

On 2007-02-03 11:31, Tiki Shark Art wrote: I've never been to the Aloha Towers,
They do serve alkeehall right?

it is Aloha Tower. There is only one Aloha Tower. Not plural. Not Aloha Towers. never were more than one tower here.

and yes, they serve drinks. that is half the revenue.

Hey Mo-eye -
You still looking to meet up for preshow drinks? What time?

M

Yep!

La Mariana at about 5pm. I just sent you a pm about it. Anyone else going?

V

Okay - we need to make some sort of Tiki Central hat with a sparkler on it or something so we can spot fellow tiki central members at events like this! :)

Had a great time at the show - I wish I was able to track down more TC members before the music started. I have a question for those who attended: can you tell me about the bla bla bla cha cha cha song? I did some google searching and all I can find is links to the "Pizza and Sushi" album - who wrote it? Where is it from? Secondly - anybody know what the name is of the "Moroccan-esque" song Sherry sang while WIllow did the sword dance?

Enjoyed the show - although I was a tad bummed that 1/4 of the tables were "vip reserved" when we got our tickets the day they went on sale and were just about the first ones thru the door. We ended up not being able to see much - so sad!

http://www.vantiki.com

[ Edited by: VanTiki 2007-02-19 11:29 ]

The show was amazing! A-Maze-ING! Beautiful venue. Fluid Floyd, Perry Coma, you guys have created something unique and wonderful. A neo tiki-culture show. I hope all tiki enthusiasts get a chance to see something so wonderful as this. We were interested in comparing what the crowd would be like vs a LA tiki crowd. What we noticed right off is that the Honolulu crowd, for the most part, was very up scale looking. Well Dressed. LA has that dressed down thing going too often. When the cruise ship started to leave behind the band, that was just too much! My friend Sam commented that the ship wasn't moving, we were. - that image, plus my second drink, was enough to put a mild spin on my head for the night.

All the songs were great! - Favorite song was ...any song with Delmar deWilde. He's the ultimate front man for a tiki band. A lounge mix of Bruce Cambel and Wayne Newton. I can't get enough of that guy. Love Potion Number 9 was hot!
Also, Jim Howard, I think, on flute and clarinet, wow - a real deal jazz musician.
Of course the Axolotl dance with the singer wearing the four foot tiki headdress was quite a spectacle. I hadn't seen anything so strange and funny since the Burning Man festival. It was so strange it was bordering on performance art.
Hot freaking dancers! Great female singers! (That Devil costume was smoking!) What ever Lola wants...she can have!

I can't wait for the next concert!

And yeah, some sort of TC id is a good idea. I did meet Gecko, (recognized him from photos in Tiki Magazine) What a cool guy! Ran into Tiki Al from LA! Very fun seeing you buddy! And it was really nice meeting Fluid Floyd - you sir, are a genius!

I too want to thank Fluid Floyd and all the rest for a heck of a great show. I will (with Fluid's approval) be putting up some nice video clips. Stay tuned.

Bothellbill

HOK

Some picts from the show...
Willow Chang, Delmar, Sherry Shaolin
TC'ers House of KU,Roger w/ glasses, Gecko,Mo-eye in front,Tiki-shark w/hand on Max ??, and Tiki-Al with shaka
Special thanks to our waitress for taking the group photo
Aloha, Freddie

Ah, Is that Delmar deWilde's real hair?

HOK

Maybe a type of "LEE PRESS ON HAIR" :) Freddie

I like how Delmar's hair is the exact same black as the stripes on his tiger skin lounge jacket.
Showmanship!

Here is the approved clip from the show. Thank you Fluid Floyd for the nice words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfOB_GY5zGQ

pass this along and please leave comments

it was a great show, not all of the show is in the video. If you get a chance to see the folks live.....DO IT!

Bothellbill

V

um..... anybody else getting a "this video has been removed by the user" page?

Vantiki,

Oh yeah. I thought it was my bad computer mojo or something. No, I couldn't view the video!

ooops. yes it seems to be a bad link

this one does work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNe0oNlVaUU

Awesome! Thanks for the Video!

Pages: 1 17 replies