Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Cerami-Dreams by Vera - Tiki Mug 1940's

Pages: 1 2 replies

GT

I Have Been Told This Is A Cerami-Dreams by Vera - By Vera La Fountain Dunn located in Hollywood Calf. in the 1940's - A Very Fine Example Of Early Tiki Mugs, Maybe One Of The Rariest Tiki Mugs Around, Any Info. Someone Might Wanna Add?

M

I Have Been Told This Is A Cerami-Dreams by Vera - By Vera La Fountain Dunn located in Hollywood Calf. in the 1940's - A Very Fine Example Of Early Tiki Mugs,

Hmmm, perfectly legal puffery aside, that design is commonly attributed to Johnny Sens, a rather colorful old character from the Gulf Coast area. This design is one of a few I know of, and can occasionally be seen sporting the name of an old restaurant in Mississippi. Sens was from, at one time, New Orleans, and his designs/molds (if they were even his own) were later appropriated by others and used for amateur pottery projects. I've owned a few, seen many more. Which one is really an authentic made by Sens mug, which is a hobbyist repro, it's all rather cloudy. Where it all begins and ends is above my pay grade.

• Maybe One Of The Rariest Tiki Mugs Around,*

It's got a nice paint job, better than most mugs of this type I've seen. It's the first Cerami-Dream by Vera I've seen so it's rare in that sense. Vera obviously had talent. Was this the "Tiki mug heard 'round the world" or one of the first ever tiki type vessels? Don't think so. Still, like cold soup and red-headed children, if you love it...that's all that matters.

Huntington Beach? Have they not paved over that Super Fund site yet?

My beach, my waves, my chicks,
midnite

Here are a couple of additional examples, these were said to be painted by an elderly black man, year unknown and that may have been a guess due to the name on the bottom. Wendy

Pages: 1 2 replies