Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

anyone know the order of the baby-eaters?

Pages: 1 7 replies

H

Here's an old post from Sven on the topic:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=209&forum=5&vpost=1478

The short version: the order I put them in the image you linked to above is correct per Sven, but they were commonly placed in a different orders on menu graphics & whatnot in the good old days, so it depends on what your vision of "correct" is.

Hope that helps!

Ha.The way you wrote this, I was thinking this was a post about some kind of secret society, like the assassins, engaging in infanticide and cannibalism (both known to occur in Polynesia, but never in a combined form)!

Well, I re-read my 2002 post, and I have little to ad, (it might be a little too much info already!), other than a pic of the 3 brothers sittin' on my mantle piece...in the sequence I believe makes most sense:

You can see how the first "catcher" figure has his butt firmly planted on the lil' guys' body, and then the second, the "devourer", pulls him out between his legs from underneath himself. (...the lil' guy is missing one arm here, it looks like it was chewed off by a dog, ironically!)

And remember, the elders from Oceanic Arts termed these the "Tahitian Cannibal Carvings" (in Tikidom that is...actually, cannibalism was not practiced in Tahiti, but in the Marquesas).

I love these guys. They look very much like the ones behind the bar at Don's in Hollywood.

I also saw this thread and thought it was about a secret society like the Masons or something. I looked at the thread and I noticed Sven said that if the Jasmine Tree ever went away that he wanted their set. Oddly enough RoberTiki is the owner of Thatch which now houses many of the Jasmine Tree relics for the greater good of all. I'll definitely seek this trio out when I go up to visit Thatch (I never noticed them at the Jasmine Tree, I should have gone there more).

I forgot about that, that's right! How cool that the Jasmine tree trio is going to be in a living, new Tiki bar now, I am happy about that!

Robert, you should incorporate them into your menu, and other promotional items, as logo Tikis! These guys have major Polynesian Pop mana, being that they were introduced by the forefather of it all, Don The Beachcomber, and their concept carried on by some of his major followers, like Steve Crane, and the Thornton brothers at the Mai Kai. The three from the Jasmine Tree must be from the local Crane Kon Tiki for sure.

They are from the Kon Tiki at the Portland Lloyd Center Sheratan. http://www.critiki.com/cgi-bin/location.cgi?loc_id=263

Man are they heavy. Iron wood I think. I broke a claw hammer trying to remove a nail.

They are front and center over the bar.

So far, I've been talking to Holden about making special mugs for them. For use and purchase at Thatch.

There will be a drink named after them.

Also, I've been toying with the tagline....
"Thatch, home of the baby-eater"

I just started this thread because I'd hate to have them displayed incorrectly.

PS, I spoke to Tai, former owner of Jasmine Tree. She will be in sometime this week.

[ Edited by: Robertiki 2007-01-28 11:35 ]

LOL excellent info!

I was thinking this was about the "Baby-eating Bishop of Bath and Wells".

H

"You haven't any children, have you? In that case, I'll skip breakfast and get right down to business."

I almost think you should intentionally put the tikis in the incorrect order, in tribute to Don. Either way, it's splitting hairs -- it's just fantastic they're still happily employed, and not retired to someone's basement home bar. (Though that of course would have been preferable to their going to the great tiki bar in the sky!)

Pages: 1 7 replies