Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Where can I get LAVA rock?

Pages: 1 11 replies

Aloha gang!

Hey, does anyone know where I can get Black Lava rock? I've been looking online and can't seem to find it anywhere. I'd like to get that nice, cantelope-sized rock so I can build a rock wall/waterfall. All I can come up with is that Red Cinder ground cover stuff. PLEASE let me know if anyone within 500 miles of Vegas sells it!!!!

Mahaloz!

TP

try Sepulveda Building Materials in Laguna Niguel (949)347-2100
aloha

T

Hey Lee,
Not sure if home depot has black, but they do have it for bbqs and firepits.

Also, there is a place called RCP Rock & Brick here in SD. Try to find a rock quarry (store) where builders buy rock for construction.
I wanted one single piece and the lady stalled in her chair. "Uhhhhhh, just take it. I don't want to waist yours or our time for just one rock." They are used to selling tons give er take.

hey there, they have a lot of rocks over at plant world, i think that's the name of it, over on charleston near decatur.

we got small lava rocks there 2 years ago, i dunno what they have now. when you go in, go left to the lot out in the back.

I think landscaping companies carry a similar pumice like material called "feather rock" which I believe may very well be the same. You might trying to PM Jungle Trader. He has a landscaping business specializing in tropical/tiki design and has in fact done several restaurants and bars in Northern California as well as residential. He also does water features for gardens.

another option is buy red lava and paint it black!! Sounds funky but I did it in front of my store and no one can tell the diff. (I had a bad luck experience with Big Island lava and have been humbled by madame Pele ever since!) Good luck! Larrys Building Materials has tons on Baker in Costa Mesa.
Aloha, Wes

Black is hard to find, we were told it is not as in demand as the red. We have an Ace Hardware in Simi Valley that carries the small golf ball size stuff. I bought truckloads for our last house there and they said after what they had was gone they were not going to re-order it since I was the only one buying it. In our new digs I saw that they had it again (after a year) and bought all they had. I need more, but they are again debating on carrying it.

For the larger melon sized stuff we found some for our pond at Carlson Building materials (not feather rock) in Thousand Oaks. They also had Moss Rock (from Oregon) that is a cool looking volcanic stone, but heavier and more expensive as it is sold by weight.

I posted the same topic years ago and some answered to go out to the desert where there is still some inactive volcanos and pick it up.

TL

Mahaloz for all the help, everyone!

I was actually looking on-line for Pisgah Crater, but I couldn't find it anywhere 'cuz I was spelling it "Piscah" - with a "C". I'll probabaly take an 8-hour field trip out there next week now that you all helped me to "find" it. I just hope I don't get busted! I probably should just go to Thompson's and keep the chances of getting thrown in some "House Of 1000 Corpses"-type Boonyville Jail down to a zero percentage, hunh?

T'anks Again!

Tiki Lee, I'm in the middle of black lava flows all over Idaho and Oregon and I believe it's possible to pay a small fee to the BLM and go pick up a truckful of rocks at some places, you might check with the BLM, it may even be your cheapest option. I got all my own black lava for my last houses landscaping.

Look in the yellow pages under landscapers or landscape supplies. Any local Quarry will have it. Not hard to get sometimes a color will be out if they are not mining or "quarrying" at that time but keep calling all the landscape, builders supply yards in your area. This shouldn't be difficult.

Pages: 1 11 replies