Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Communal tyg mug

Pages: 1 1 replies

I

I came across this mug design recently, which was popular in Colonial times, and was wondering if any tiki mugs were done in this style.

The tyg is essentially a 3-handled mug , which makes it very easy to pass the mug from one person to another, without dropping. If each person uses a different handle, then their lips would touch a separate part of the rim.

The Tiki world is full of communal type bowls, where people use straws to sip out of a common bowl. One of the problems of these bowls though, is that once placed on the table, they are difficult to move around without causing sploshing and spillage.

So how about a communal type handheld tyg tiki mug? A mug like this might be an appropriate one for a drink with a very high alcohol content, as it could add a ritual-like layer of friendship as the drink is passed from one to another.

One of the things I like best about this tyg design, is that it represents communal sharing. It could sit on a shelf, and people would identify it as a communal tyg type mug - similar, I guess, to how people will display their good/holiday china, and then pull it out for special occasions.

The following website has three different styles of tyg mugs, on pages 6, 7, and 8.

http://www.marketstream.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=12&CATID=2&ObjectGroup_ID=9&OBS=7&Move=Prev&count=6&Pcount=17

[ Edited by: ikitnrev 2007-01-29 08:04 ]

T

Nice interpretation of the three handled mug...reminds me of one I saw a long time ago, a navajo water jug. I have no idea why the three handles, but the communal idea you have is right on.

Pages: 1 1 replies