Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Need BIG Wall Tiki!!

Pages: 1 16 replies

I've been looking and looking to no avail... I need a BIG (at least 4 feet tall) tiki to hang on the wall-outside. With the back side flat, for hanging. Either wood carved (heavy!) or resin or...? I want the neighbors to be able to "enjoy" it at ALL times! Who can help? Maybe a special order?

Check here http://www.tikibosko.com

I could do it but I'm way up norte.

This one I did is 3 ft. tall, with flat back. Solid redwood. Needs a little more work.
"Brooding"

Get in touch with your inner native!!
Create Paradise!!

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2007-01-30 15:39 ]

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jan 30, 2007 5:40 PM

Either go with a smug "up yours" smilin tiki or a really "freaky angry/Im watching you" tiki. Oh yeh, either underlight it to get some spooky shadows happening (and to freak em out 24/7), or get some light up red eyes installed!

Bosko and JT are IT when it comes to big carvings - JT has some HUGE ones!!!! and big carvings too.

If you really want to p-off your neighbors I'd go bigger than 4 feet...

Oh yeah. This is certainly for the neighbors who we all know and love...the Peepers. What I have now is this fuggly thing...

It's about 7 years old...BTC (before TC). It's obviously Mesoamerican, Olmec. My gardener wants it. I kinda forgot he was hanging way up there on the outer wall of the back yard.
Remember the huge tiki at last year's Oasis in the lobby? He was black resin w/ glowing red eyes? It was Cobain's, of Tiki Land (ShakaTiki's got one at House of Tiki, too). He said I may be able to get one with a flat back for hanging, but the web site he gave me didn't show them. It's supposed to be 6 feet high and 3-4 feet wide. Since it's resin, it's a wee bit lighter. I don't know how I could get one carved that big...do trees grow that big around? And if so, which kid do I sell to afford that?
So either resin or some sort of mill process that joins a series of 6x6's into a big enough "post"? Or half a solatube with a plastacrete front molded into a tiki. Or built up into a face. Hmmm.... I think I printed out the instructions and ingredients for that once from a post by Aaron's Akua...
I really love all of the carvings you all have PMd me with or directed me too...but I agree with BIGGER is better in this case. Ideas?

I just bought a 40" wall tiki from tikimaster.com. It's of the mass-produced variety, but the one I got looks great and was priced right (maybe $50). I'm very happy with it. They have a 48" wall totem, as well.

tropicaltikis.com advertises 60" tiki masks, but their site is acting up right now and I can't verify that they have any in stock. EDIT: tropicaltikis.com does in fact have several 60" tiki masks in stock.

There are other places that sell tiki statues and tiki masks. Just google "tiki mask" and several will pop up.

Good luck!

[ Edited by: BrickHorn 2007-01-31 09:49 ]

Ask TikiTerrace, he makes props and the masks for the new TikiTerrace restaraunt look big enough to annoy your neighbors. You should add a sound system too with lots of loud jungle noises and drums. You should learn to do the Ka Mate haka and do it everyday at 5am over a bullhorn, maybe even using one of BKs wicked spears or a nice Johnny P shark tooth death weapon.

TP

H-O-T
i sent you a p.m.
Aloha

On 2007-01-31 10:15, Surf tiki wrote:
You should learn to do the Ka Mate haka

Ummm. I's woefully ignant on dis. Huh?

J

I read your thread in bilge. I think you need to get one of Jungle Trader's carvings to hang on your wall to salute the neighbors.

PS thanks Surf Tiki for the plug.

JP

Does that come with the nubbin option?

I don't know how I could get one carved that big...do trees grow that big around?

Yes, locally canary palms - I think they're called that. They're big, huge and extreamly heavy.

ST

On 2007-01-31 14:16, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:

On 2007-01-31 10:15, Surf tiki wrote:
You should learn to do the Ka Mate haka

Ummm. I's woefully ignant on dis. Huh?

In a nutshell it is a Maori war dance/chant. You've probably seen it but didn't know it. It is done by some sports teams such as the NZ All Blacks (rugby) and I believe the one of the Utah college football teams. Very loud with lots of body slapping and scary faces.

Hey all...thanks a ton for your input and help!
I think anything carved will be too heavy for the wall w/o some sort of extra support. Like a small shelf or brackets or something. If I do a shelf, I could just put a regular tiki up there, maybe. Wonder if that would look lame?

My son told me he could carve a flat backed tiki from Polystyrene and weather proof it. He read about styrene in todays OC Register and said he'd used it before to carve movie props. Now I gotta figure out where to get a huge chunk of it. He's carved me some tiki stuff before from whatever was around...a melted candle at camp formed in a Pringles can, my floral Oasis, an old table leg...he's very good. I keep telling him to quit the movie biz and carve big stuff! We'll see what he can do w/ the polystyrene.

I got a fever. The prescription is more TIKI!

[ Edited by: Hau 'oli Tiki 2007-02-03 08:34 ]

Hau'oli Tiki,
Another option would be this Moai from Benson's Imports. I have purchased a few items from them over the last couple of years, and everything arrives quickly and they have some great products (as well as decent prices).

I got one of these Big Kahoona last year. Since he is molded plastic with a granite-look painted surface, he is somewhat flimsy, but fantastic for hanging because he is very light. I purchased a few cans of expanding foam from my local hardware store, and filled in some of the inner concave surfaces to make him just a little heavier (so he doesn't fly off the wall in a wind storm), and to make him a little more durable for outside. You can find the link here:
http://www.bensonsimport.com/pages/wholesale/tropical_decoratives/Page2.html
and look for item # 577 Big Kahoona.

I hope this helps!

• Myke

Thanks TWB... That's the same one Tiki Pop offered to let me buy off him! I may grab it cuz he offered it to me for a great price! I was worried about the too light weight, but your idea seems to be the solution!

Pages: 1 16 replies