Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: Savage for sale

Pages: 1 13 replies

T

I made three mugs in 2004 and four flasks and a bowl. Only the bowl was sold.

I sculpted five mugs in 2006 and four will be for sale and one is mine. All five have glaze on them but only one is fired.

That fired one is the first to the chopping block. I will post it tonight on Ebay.
There are a couple of flaws so the price will be lowered. IN the inside, a small piece of the kiln fell into the mug when firing.

I added black paint to the outside glaze. This is an experimental process so I can't say what the future holds for this mug.
Its a great design and of course the highest relief mugs I have ever seen. And yes one of a kind and hand-built and hand-painted.

I can never capture what I see but hope this will do.

Questions / commits, anytime.

T

All systems are go.

I just posted it sorta quick and I still have to work out the shipping (which will be as low as possible). I will go back and make the little changes, like my picture in gallery not showing. I think that the picture is the wrong size or gif./not.

Savage Tiki Mug

seven days, Ending 6:30 West coast time and 9:30 East coast time.

T
teaKEY posted on Fri, Feb 2, 2007 6:16 PM

Squid, thats a sweet wood Maoi pendent that you made. Never knew you were into the wood.

Opps, wrong thread. :)

First person to bid will get a big thanks from me.

T
teaKEY posted on Sat, Feb 3, 2007 2:58 PM

Savage

Thought that I would give another view.

Size comparison

Showing the high relief. High relief is really uncommon in most tiki mugs or any mugs for that matter.

I found out that the mug upside down sorta has a tiki face. I bet more could be played around with that idea.

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2007-02-03 14:59 ]

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Feb 7, 2007 8:08 AM

SAVAGE

Ending 6:30 West coast time and 9:30 East coast time.

Has it been seven days already?

On the East coast side I know you will have to take an intermission from American Idol to get your last bids in. And on with the show.

T

56 clams. Who would who guess that?

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Feb 7, 2007 1:48 PM

well, I don't think people know what to make of original mugs. Not talking about original ideas/designs, but original mugs. Like the difference of an original painting verse not.

If your talking about a $40 mug with a run of 100, the totally profit is 4000 minus time for sculpt and materials for pour. And say that 20 artist proofs sold on avg. of 200 each, thats an additional 4000. so $8,000.00 for one sculpt and 120 pours. And there isn't even an original mug evolved.

Mine, so for is $65 for all the work to sculpt and the original design that only one person in the world will own. I'm not even going to make this design again.
All the love that pours from my hand goes directly into what you are buying. Not seen to often.

Certainly no profit here. Not sure if I'm even going to make a lot of these for sale much longer unless I see the appreciation. Its understandable though

People are use to molded mugs. I think that they enjoy the fact that they know others have it. I probably could have made a molded mug of ten copies and they could have all sold for 100 each.

What can I say, its certainly a labor of love and I just want to share that love with someone special out there :)

My highest goal is to make the highest grade of mugs in the world. I know that I could do it based of the ideas that I already have in my head but I do see that the world isn't ready yet. But what can I say, most artist never see their work truly valued. I think that Van Gogh sold one or none paintings before he died. Well, I might have him beat by tonight.

K
Kitty posted on Thu, Feb 8, 2007 5:32 AM

I am sure that someone very special out there will be very happy owning that one-of-a-kind mug.

T

On 2007-02-07 13:48, teaKEY wrote:

What can I say, its certainly a labor of love and I just want to share that love with someone special out there :)

Yes, anytime you feeling like sharing that love with someone special let me know !!!!

teakey, ya gotta know it's a tough world out there. There's no guarantee of success. But, you put out a great effort. Maybe it's time to move on to your next challenge.

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Feb 8, 2007 4:55 PM

"Maybe it's time to move on to your next challenge" -JT

What are you saying? Give up tiki mugs, or worse, give up on tiki itself??

I think here is the problem, I wanted to just make a tiki mug, I did. I then wanted to make a better tiki mug, I did. I want to take tiki mugs to a place they have yet to go. Even though my fine art teacher told me to give up on that idea. (A previous post)

I think now the task at hand to promoting the idea. Promoting teaKEY and somehow promote hand made mugs. Promote a higher quality mugs. I think Munktiki have done this for themselves. I believe that they sell some of the highest priced new mugs.

Actually vintage mugs sell more than new mugs. Old Ren Clark 1,500.00 - New Ren Clark 65.00 about. I guess its the idea that you can't create magic. You can only find it?

But really buying it on Ebay isn't finding it so really its just like buying it new. But then its still that mug that other people had to find and there is less of them? out there and its more speacil- less people have them. But there lies the one of one Hand made mug from scratch no less.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Feb 8, 2007 6:14 PM

Van tiki seems to be having succes with his hand made mugs. He has 'standard designs' so they are not truely one offs, but every mug he makes is unique beacuse it's all done by hand.

You want to improve your mugs? Heres some constructive criticism, just my thoughts:

• Work on the symmetry. That pic of it upside down you can see it is off centre.
  • The black blobby glaze hides all of the details of the design
  • It looks very "top heavy". This both detracts from the design, and also makes an unstable mug.

Overall I like the general design but it needs some tweaking before it has the "it" factor for me. When lots of people look at something and say, "yes thats it" - you're on a winner. Just ask Shag.

Ultimately you should do it for the fun of it, and challange yourself to improve with every new mug.

K
Kitty posted on Thu, Feb 8, 2007 6:40 PM

Those are excellant suggestions, Hewey

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Feb 8, 2007 6:57 PM

Hey, I'm just glad that people are talking about it. That's a good thing for an artist. Good or bad, its just good to be known. Although it would have been nice to have more feedback during the auction.

Thanks for the points. It really isn't as asymmetrical as the picture looks. The last picture its upside down which it wasn't made to sit. And its sitting on soft carpet. Its HAndMade so yeah a little honest qualities there. Probably like a Bosko. It was the first to getting back to clay after a couple years. This mug is not like any other mugs out there. I never learned how to make pottery like this and its an exercise that I developed. I'm really surprised no one has asked how I do it. Well, not telling - yet, anyways.

Top heavy , yes, certainly looks top heavy. I like it that way. A living tiki mug drawing maybe. Its not really unstable. It hard to get a good look at this mug cause it has at least three side. Front , back, and the two sides. And then the top and down half of the mug are different.

The next mugs are really smooth for hand-made. And they are super light but stable thickness, just like you would want. And even balance which really isn't a hand-made mug quality. I could draw a picture of what I mean by this if anyone want.

But Hewey honesty is the best policy. Yeah I will give some more ideas about mug making, hand made style later. If anyone would want to hear, It would probably be here.

Pages: 1 13 replies