Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Ebay auction record for Shag print?

Pages: 1 44 replies

S

I'm guessing this Shag print may fetch the highest price yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20148&item=935796385

T

Dunno we got 2 more days to see. A Vice Monkeys print took $1,250 a few months ago. I don't remember what that Departure/Layover/Arrival print took in.

In April, 2002 a Departure/Layover/Arrival print went for $1900 according to mig in this thread. That's the record I'd guess.

S

I guess this proves why I'm not working for Antique Roadshow or Sotheby's

Well, I've been keeping track of Shag auctions since late November, and the highest I've tracked is Blue Scooter at $1,225.00 as the highest so far. I have also seen others go higher, but I wasn't collecting data back then.

If you interested in the data, check out :

http://www.heatmizuh.com

T

Let's make a game of it. What would you guess that this Departure/Layover/Arrival print will go for? I'll guess $1400.

heatmizuh, nice site. I thought about doing a similar site for Shag prints last fall after seeing one for Simpsons toys, (see site here) but I'm too lazy and non-techno-savvy.

The thing that I especially like about the Simpsons site I linked to is that it keeps track of trends in the pricing as well rather than just the highest price ever paid, but that may be a difficult feature to program, I don't know.

Will your site begin updating daily soon? Are there other features you plan to add?

[ Edited by: Suburban Hipster on 2003-01-15 10:01 ]

If you click on a particular print name, it will show you the historical data for that print. The system is completely automated, so it's pretty much hands off for me.

The only thing I do add to the site is the parameters for newly released prints.

If you're interested in how it works, the FAQ might be a good place to start.

The one thing I will be adding shortly is pricing graphs for each print, so you can 'visually' see trends over time.

The auto-updating seems to be delayed. Shouldn't this auction on 1/11 be listed as the highest for DEATH'S UNENDING VACATION? The 2001 print SEPIK EXPLORER is also missing from list despite a recent sale.

The FAQ and site info was helpful though. Again great site.

I'll go $1600. I see your really busy at work too Chris

Tacky Techie Tiki Bar

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2003-01-15 10:43 ]

Hey, I only post during morning coffee, midmorning snack, lunch, nap, afternoon-snack, or recess.

M
mig posted on Wed, Jan 15, 2003 11:21 AM

Here's the scoop on past Departure/Stopover/Arrival sales... and also info about the trend of Shag print prices in general. (People tracking Shag auctions, I keep meaning to give you this info, so here it is!)

In April 2002, a copy of it went for $1900 (and if I remember, it was either $1895, or $1900 even). It had been a few hundred dollars lower than that; but two bidders drove the price WAY up in the last two minutes.

April 2002 was in the early season of high Shag print prices on eBay. Before about March 2002, Shag prints weren't as prolific on eBay. (You could do a search and maybe find one, if any at all.) A few started cropping up in February-- which is about when Shag really started to become popular-- and then in March the Shags on eBay started to bloom. In April there were a lot; and the prices were starting to go up. Prices of $350-$600 were not uncommon... and a lot of the auctions were by print clearing houses that were trying to capitalize on the craze. Then the $1900 Departure/Stopover/Arrival happened and blew the lid off it all.

Upon seeing that one sell ($1900), I decided I would rather have a similar amount of money than my own copy of D/S/A, which had been rolled up in a tube for a couple years.

Prices for Shags peaked in May/early June. As they started to slow down a bit in June, I decided I needed to get off my ass and list mine-- so I listed mine in early July.

According to discussion here-- we were all very curious to see how much it would go for. As it was not just a print, but an Artist's Proof-- one of, to the best of our knowledge in Tiki Central, only two in existence for this print-- I had serious dollar signs in my eyes. I made sure to very prominently mention its uniqueness in the auction. (Incidentally, the other a.p. for this is owned by Monkeygod.)

I put mine on eBay, with a reserve of $1498... and hoped that it would actually go higher than $2000, since it was even more rare than the one that went for $1900.

The price crept up, but wouldn't go above about $1100 or $1200, even up to the last minutes. In the last few minutes, someone bid $1500, and got it.

The person that got it actually lived 5 minutes from my house-- which saved a lot of trouble trying to ship it-- so I delivered it to him. (I told him about TikiCentral too-- he was interested! Although I never found out if he joined.) I gave him a break on the price because of saving me the trouble, plus he gave me a money order rather than a check.

The buyer filled in all the blanks for me: for the D/S/A that went for $1900, he had been outbid at the very last minute... by someone (I'll call him "Mr. X") who, if I remember his explanation right, seemed to have a weird niche he was going for: Mr. X seemed to only like Shag prints that had the Dr. Zaius character, but he would pay seriously top dollar for them... Mr. X had, in the few weeks prior to the $1900 bid, won another eBay auction for a Dr. Zaius Shag print and it had gone for a very significant amount of money. (I don't remember how much... but it was one of the highest ones at the time.)

So where are Shag prints at now? After about July, prices started falling... I'm guessing that this coincided with the sudden increase in all sorts of Shag merch. (At first, you could only get prints, at $100+... but once all the greeting cards, etc. came out, that probably satisfied the average person, leaving prints to the realm of the hardcores.)

Currently, there are fewer and fewer Shag prints up on eBay... and they are not nearly going for the money that they once were. They are still going for $150-$300 or so... but it seems like we're pretty well past the days of the $500-$700 Shag prints.

That "original painting owners only" one is great-- not only quite rare because of that, but it's also a gorgeous print. Can't wait to see how much it goes for. I also can't wait to see how much the D/S/A goes for.

Kind of long-winded-- thanks for reading my old war stories.

-mig

M
mig posted on Wed, Jan 15, 2003 11:27 AM

Clarification to a point in my previous message: I said that we're "past the days of the $500-$700 Shag prints".

What I meant is: some of them are still going for prices like that... but those are the really rare or really cool ones. But it's more common to see them in the $150-$300 range.

Mig,
Interesting observation. This story just adds another reason why to not trust eBay as a reliable pricing source. Sometimes there's a personal story as to why people pay so much for an item - which ends up skewing what the real market value of that item is.

*** * * The Polynesian Popster * * ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-01-15 13:43 ]

On 2003-01-15 11:21, mig wrote:
According to discussion here-- we were all very curious to see how much it would go for. As it was not just a print, but an Artist's Proof-- one of, to the best of our knowledge in Tiki Central, only two in existence for this print-- I had serious dollar signs in my eyes. I made sure to very prominently mention its uniqueness in the auction. (Incidentally, the other a.p. for this is owned by Monkeygod.)

Hi, I've been lurking here a bit but I just wanted to chime in that I've got an AP of this print as well so I guess that makes three. There must be more out there.

Did anyone see the recent Shag print on Ebay that fetched over $5000.00? I don't know what it ended up at but when I first saw it, it was $4800.00 with a day and a half left. I went in the next day and it had reached $5000 and there was still time left! Can't recall which one it was as I was busy picking up my jaw which had dropped to the floor.

^I think you're referring to this auction. The final bid was $5000, but the buyer didn't complete the transaction. $5000 for an original painting by Shag doesn't seem anywhere near as insane to me as $1900 for one in a series of 150 offset litographs though.

The final bid was $5000, but the buyer didn't complete the transaction. $5000 for an original painting by Shag doesn't seem anywhere near as insane to me as $1900 for one in a series of 150 offset litographs though.

I wonder if the guy who won the auction decided not to buy it after all? Because I bid on that auction too...

[ Edited by: paranoid123 on 2003-01-16 19:04 ]

cheesebot wrote: Hi, I've been lurking here a bit but I just wanted to chime in that I've got an AP of this print as well so I guess that makes three. There must be more out there.

Thanks for pointing that out, Cheesebot. I've always been wary of Artists Proofs, as they could be in pertty much any quantity. Essentially, they equal greed. A limited print should be exactly that, and so-called artist proofs simply dilute the pool of existing prints. I've noticed from other popular artists websites that when a limited run goes, these AP's appear, and tend to be available a lot longer than the limited run.

Very dodgy dealings....
Trader Woody

Artist's Proofs generally should be no more than 10% of the run, so if the print is an edition of 150, there can be up to 15 APs. This isn't written in stone, of course, and there are artists who abuse it, I'm sure.

APs are typically the first prints pulled, so theoretically they are the best prints made. Usually, AP's are gifts from the artist and not sold.

Also, remember that there are Printer's Proofs as well!

Here is a website with info about limited editions:

http://www.nativeamericanexpressions.net/naefolder/artinfo.html

There are also many artists who refuse to do AP's because, as you said Trader Woody, "very dodgy dealings."

-Mike

On 2003-01-17 13:58, TheMuggler wrote:
This isn't written in stone, of course

It is if it's a lithograph! :lol:

M
mig posted on Fri, Jan 17, 2003 2:16 PM

As for the AP for the Departure/Stopover/Arrival:

At the time, only Outre was producing Shag prints. I had my eye on D/S/A for a while; but didn't get off my butt in time to order it.

When Outre posted that it was almost sold out, and to email for availability-- I did just that. Martin from Outre replied, saying that it was indeed sold out-- but they had two APs and he'd sell me one for the same cost as the print.

Perhaps either Cheesebot or Monkeygod already got one at that point, and Martin meant that he only had two left? Either way-- I'd be rather surprised if anybody else came forward with an AP for this one.

-mig

Mig,

The thing is with these AP's is that they could pretty much get cranked out at any stage of the game. I'm not casting aspersions at Shag, Outre, or anyone involved with any of the Shag prints. Not by a long way as I must declare a personal interset - (ownership of the odd print or two).

Yet, the AP thing cools my bones as it surely renders the whole concept of a 'limited edition' meaningless.

Trader Woody

Mig, looks like did well to sell when you did - the market's a lot softer now than it was then. It seems there's no buyers out there ready to spend $1900 or even $1500 for Departure/Layover/Arrival anymore. The latest auction ended without at $1077 without hitting the reserve.

Turbogod, I was closer. :)

[ Edited by: Suburban Hipster on 2003-01-19 20:18 ]

On 2003-01-17 14:25, Trader Woody wrote:
The thing is with these AP's is that they could pretty much get cranked out at any stage of the game.

. . .

Yet, the AP thing cools my bones as it surely renders the whole concept of a 'limited edition' meaningless.

Trader Woody

Short of eliminating AP's all together, which I agree would be a good thing, Porterhouse Fine Art Editions who produce Mark Ryden's prints seem to have the best solution. Each print comes with a COA that states exactly how many prints were produced including AP's. For example, for the Pele and Exotica prints the numbers were 150 paper, 50 canvas, and 10 AP's.

Does this Shag Price Index calculate the few auctions up where the print has been professionally mounted and framed? Something to consider...It will skew the data.

Yes, I'm new.

Lenzi

There's a new record holder. This AP of "Departure, Stopover, Arrival" is already at $2,000. I'm surprised since the price of Shag prints overall has been down lately on Ebay.

C

YIKES! The seller is brand new, no feedback.

Not only is the seller brand new, he/she is selling another high demand, long gone, Shag AP as well, there's no photo of the actual print for either auction, and the seller only accepts money orders or western union. The seller is very likely completely on the up and up, but I wouldn't bid under those circumstances without using escrow.

Edit: Damn, that seller seems to be unloading a very large collection now. I wonder how many prints they'll be selling in total.

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=shag_art&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

[ Edited by: Suburban Hipster on 2003-09-04 13:02 ]

JT

There was also a nice Shag original that sold
a few days ago for $7300. "Devil" from the A-Z Exhibit.

Wow tidy profit. That originally sold for $3200.

M
mig posted on Thu, Sep 4, 2003 3:52 PM

Yeah, not only a brand-new seller, but their name is "shag_art". Honest or not, that strikes me as being just plain... lame.

On 2003-09-04 12:51, Suburban Hipster wrote:
Edit: Damn, that seller seems to be unloading a very large collection now. I wonder how many prints they'll be selling in total.

JT

I see the seller is from Vancouver...probably associated in some way with La Roq Gallery in Seattle who has hosted a couple Shag shows. Just a wild guess

JT

I see the seller is from Vancouver...probably associated in some way with La Roq Gallery in Seattle who has hosted a couple Shag shows. Just a wild guess

JT

JT

JT

Must be time for bed...I am seeing MORE than double

J
jonboy posted on Sat, Sep 6, 2003 9:26 PM

ripe for fraud, out of country, mo or western union only???

C

Color me not shocked.

Seller ratings

M

I came dangerously close to bidding on one of that sellers auctions. But something just didn't feel right about it so I passed. I'm going to keep listening to my instincts...

T

I also considered this seller however when I saw the payment terms along with that the seller paid for the shipping and insurance it was a red flag. Of course you'll pay for the shipping and insurance because you'll take our money but never send the items! I also noticed on a couple of the auctions that the seller never listed an AP/PP number, just that it was an AP/PP.

I check the eBay emergency contact board daily and read about all the people that get scammed. This sellers auctions were just screaming of fraud and I was just waiting for the feedback to come in to see if my assumptions were correct. I guess they were...

M

Also, the last 3 auctions that the seller listed were changed to "private" auctions. That means that all bidders names are hidden from public view. I can see why a scammer would want to do that. As soon as the buyers from the first few auctions figured out that they had been ripped off, they might tip off all the active bidders. But if the auction is private, they would have no way of contacting them. This seller really put some serious thought into his game...

C

I just grabbed this link off of eBay.
Contact Customer Service

Report transaction problems
Selling offenses
An active seller was previously suspended
etc, etc, etc.

Don't mess with Tiki.

Pages: 1 44 replies