Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Trader Vic's to open in Florida!

Pages: 1 2 69 replies

G

Trader Vic's has announced that it will open a full service restaurant and bar in Destin, Florida in March 2007! They seem to be announcing this very close to opening day because I know I've looked at the list of restaurants on tradervics.com recently and it wasn't there. But it is now! It will open at the Palms of Destin Resort, which is located just across the street from the beach. If it means anything to anyone, Juan Palerm is to be the executive chef. I'm doubly excited about this because it's located about 10 minutes from my parents house! Guess I know where I'm going to be spending a lot of my time (and money) when I go visit.

Here is the web site for the Palms Resort. I couldn't find any mention of Vic's on the site, but this site does mention it.

Here is the building where Trader Vic's will be:

Doesn't look very Polynesian to me, but that seems to follow their latest trend of scaling back on the tiki decor. Hopefully, it'll be tikified on the inside. I'd be disappointed if it wasn't, but any Vic's is better than no Vic's at all. Just get the drinks right, that's all I ask.

Welcome back Trader Vic's to Florida! It's been a long time baby...

B

That's awesome! However, given the progress of the soon-to-be-opening Trader Vic's in Dallas, I would estimate that the Destin Trader's will open in May, 2009.

[ Edited by: BrickHorn 2007-02-01 13:11 ]

T

On that Website ...Trader vics is spelled Traitor Vic's..
Florida, it's not the humidity it's the stupidity !!!!

I

For those of you unfamiliar with the location of Destin, Florida, it is located on the Florida panhandle, between Panama City and Pensacola.

Destin is 618 miles from Fort Lauderdale and the the Mai Kai .... about the same distance from San Francisco to Portland, Oregon. In comparison, the distance from Destin to New Orleans is only 250 miles.

Vern

G

On 2007-02-01 13:34, TikiLaLe wrote:
On that Website ...Trader vics is spelled Traitor Vic's..

Ha! Good catch. Well, in their defense, that's not the official Palms Resort website. As long as they can spell M-A-I T-A-I, we're good.

BrickHorn - I was already planning to be in the Destin area March 17-18, so I'll drop by and see if they're open or try to get a good idea of when they will be. I'll post pictures when I have them.

ikitnrev - Destin is also about a 7 hr drive from Orlando. Just in case you were wonderin'...

M
Mytah posted on Fri, Feb 2, 2007 7:44 AM

Wow! Being in Pensacola, this is AWESOME news.

B

BrickHorn - I was already planning to be in the Destin area March 17-18, so I'll drop by and see if they're open or try to get a good idea of when they will be. I'll post pictures when I have them.

Keep us updated. Every time I'm in Dallas, I stop by the Trader Vic's perpetual construction site. Unfortunately, the carpenters there don't know how to make a decent Mai Tai.

G

Here's another mention of the Destin Trader Vic's from the local newspaper:

The 14.3-acre property will include a spa and Trader Vic's, a restaurant famous for Polynesian cuisine and pioneering the mai tai. The restaurant, which has locations around the world, is set to open in mid-March.

"This is going to be the huge thing for Destin," Teresa Gunter, general manager of Abec Resorts, said of the restaurant.

Outside, there's the largest freeform pool in Northwest Florida, with waterfalls and islands, she said.

One of the unique features of the 12,000-square-foot pool is zeroentry access -- a shallow, sloping entrance without steps or ladders.

I'm certainly glad the general manager is so excited about the Trader Vic's part of her new resort. And note they say opening in "mid-March". They certainly sound confident about that. I'll be there March 17. So... fingers crossed.

And, holy moly, a 12,000 sq ft pool?!

Here's the complete article.

G

Here is a satellite view of the site:

And a link to a satellite map.

H

If they're actively trying to hire a sous chef, that seems like a good sign that it'll be opening in the nearish future.

BTW, of the 625 locations that are currently in Critiki, I have 555 of them plotted on the Critiki Map, including this one (the only ones that are missing are ones where I don't have an address, or the address I have has proven impossible to map). Aside from taking the hunting work out of it for you, it also can give an interesting perspective on what tiki places are (or were) nearby. I find the hunting part to be pretty fun, though.

Critiki Map
Trader Vic's, Destin on Critiki Map

From the Abec Resorts Blog:

The new, upscale condo resort is coming along nicely with planned opening to the public scheduled for March 1, 2007. The Polynesian Spa, Trader Vic’s Restaurant, and modern Conference/Banquet facilities are a definite plus. WOW, the interior 2 acre oasis is looking great with its 11,000 sq. ft. Lagoon Pool that has 5 waterfalls and 3 islands, a kids pool and interactive splash fountain, and of course poolside wait service to bring your favorite beverage.

Can't want to have a couple of Tiki Puka Pukas and then jump in that interactive splash fountain...

M
Murph posted on Wed, Feb 14, 2007 3:07 PM

Cool a Trader Vic's in my old home town!
Might have to get back over there hit Trader Vic's and finish the night off at the Hog's Breath!

[ Edited by: Murph 2007-02-14 15:13 ]

G

On 2007-02-14 15:07, Murph wrote:
Might have to get back over there hit Trader Vic's and finish the night off at the Hog's Breath!

Oh geez. I haven't been to Hog's Breath since, oh let's see... Well, let's just say that Reagan was president.

M

On 2007-02-14 15:19, GatorRob wrote:

On 2007-02-14 15:07, Murph wrote:

Oh geez. I haven't been to Hog's Breath since, oh let's see... Well, let's just say that Reagan was president.

Ahhh... Back when it was on Okaloosa Island.
Some of the best times, I can't remember, were at the old Hog's Breath.

F

I'm so happy that there will be a Traders Vic's about 2 hours away, and in a great art town to boot. No more having to go to Atlanta for Trader Vic's (not that we mind going to Atlanta for the trader vic's).

On 2007-02-15 07:00, frostiki wrote:
I'm so happy that there will be a Traders Vic's about 2 hours away, and in a great art town to boot. No more having to go to Atlanta for Trader Vic's (not that we mind going to Atlanta for the trader vic's).

As much as I'm thrilled there's going to be a Trader Vic's in Destin, I'm not placing any bets that it will be as good as TV Atlanta. That placed is tikified to the max, is at the basement level (i.e., no windows), and has the highly regarded Joel tending the bar. My guess is the Destin location will be more yacht club-like, but I'm crossing fingers that they get the bar right.

F

By bar do you mean the decor, or the mixology, or better yet both? I know it probably won't live up to TV ATL, but considering we have no tiki at all hear two hours is better than 5 hours. Though we do vave a restaurant here that is building a "tiki Bar," but seeing as I live in Jimmy Buffet's hometown I'm sure it will be more in that style. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers, and the restaurant is worth it either way.

G

On 2007-02-16 14:52, frostiki wrote:
By bar do you mean the decor, or the mixology, or better yet both?

Well, they go hand in hand don't they? I mean, an average drink will seem great in the right atmosphere. But I'm hoping for great drinks from there of course. If I was forced to choose, quality drinks win out over decor. But don't make me choose... :wink:

F

You are correct sir, and I wouldn't want to choose either.

T

Mr. Gator Rob
I do hope you have a good drink at TV.. Let's not hope for some blond surfer pouring pre-mix drinks ....
Florida it's not the humidity it's the stupidity !!!!!

P

The thing I like best about Destin is the incredible, magnificent, unbelievable...

...traffic.

The beach ain't bad either.
Once you get there.

Grew up in the Panhandle and still visit there regularly. That location is in the heart of the worst traffic in Florida (always backed up and no accidents). There is a back way in so look closely at the map!

http://www.palmsofdestin.com/dining.html

Trader Vic's is now listed on the web site as well as a link of the menu. I've emailed them asking for an expected opening date. Let's see if they respond.

G

Ooooooh... They even have a link to the menu. T-minus 2 1/2 weeks 'til I'm there. Hopefully, they'll be open.

T

Do you think they will have 'early bird' specials for us seniors ?????

T

i have it on good authority it will open April 9th with tried and true drink formulas. as for traffic - TV's is the perfect place to stop and have a snack and tasty cocktail till it subsides.

B

[ Edited by: BlackFish 2009-09-08 04:25 ]

G

On 2007-03-01 15:05, tikiarch wrote:
i have it on good authority it will open April 9th with tried and true drink formulas. as for traffic - TV's is the perfect place to stop and have a snack and tasty cocktail till it subsides.

Welcome to Tiki Central tikiarch. Yes, if there is anything you'd like to share about the Destin TV interior, we're all ears (and eyes). :)

Looks like I'm going to miss the opening by about three weeks, boo hoo.

T

Hi

Unlike Dallas the Destin location has lots of windows onto a huge covered patio and beyond- all of which view a lushly landscaped pool grotto. The covered patio will have its own "Mai Tai bar" with a stage (Cuban music, etc) dining furniture and a central loungy area with Teak upholstered furniture. The ceiling is a two tone overscaled tapa cloth design. The uncovered patio beyond will offer additional dining areas and well as a couple tented pavillions with lounge furniture.

There are numerous Tikis coming from Indonesia (the same carvers that did the new entry tiki in Dallas)
ranging in size from 5 to 12' tall. they will be outside at the entry, flanking the stage, at the patio bar, at the uncovered patio, and scattered throughout the main dining room.

The main dining has a central hostess with the bar on the right and main dining room to the left. the Chinese oven is the central feature at the far left wall. banquettes line the walls with tapa cloth trimed in bamboo above. ceilings are covered in Neau panels and stencil painted wood trim. carved new Guinea planks cover the walls near the entry and flanking the Chinese oven room. a large outrigger canoe hangs overhead over round booths.

the bar/lounge will have a nautical vibe with loads of original artifacts from the Trader Vics corporate stash. walls in the bar are covered in a Japanese grasscloth wallcovering. banquettes are in a burgungy embossed leather. Monkey pod tables in the bar are again salvaged from a closed location.

There is a private dining room "The Trader's Office" thats seats 20-30 with more classic trader photos and artwork.
get ready.

G

On 2007-03-02 10:21, tikiarch wrote:
get ready.

Wow.

I'm still in mild shock that tiki is coming to the Florida panhandle in such grand fashion. Can't wait to see it. I just took a look at the pictures of what you did in Dallas and it looks spectacular. I have a feeling we're in for a real treat...

G

My Dad (who lives 10 minutes from Destin) just received this email from Trader Vic's. It ain't much, but it does whet the appetite, yes?

COMING SOON TO DESTIN , FL

…INVENTORS OF THE MAI TAI DRINK

…ESCAPE INTO AN EXOTIC ATMOSPHERE

…HAVE A TASTE OF LEGENDARY TRADER VIC’S STYLE FOOD AND TROPICAL DRINKS

TO BE CONTINUED…

[ Edited by: BlackFish 2009-09-08 04:26 ]

G

On 2007-03-02 11:49, BlackFish wrote:
Thanks tikiarch and welcome to what we affectionately call the Redneck Riviera.

Or L. A. -- Lower Alabama. :)

So I am not the only one who has been anxiously following the news of a TV in Destin! Only two hours from me! WooHoo! Much closer than Atlanta, so maybe I can get my fix on a more regular basis. Any more concrete news of an opening night? Sounds like for now April 9 is booked for a trip to Destin! :)

P

whollycatsband.com

crazedmugs.com

See you soon.

"Sounds like for now April 9 is booked for a trip to Destin!"

I have a trip schedulesd for March 31-April 4. PM me if you want to reschedule!

G

On 2007-03-04 11:27, pablus wrote:

whollycatsband.com

crazedmugs.com

See you soon.

Now THAT would be worth the price of a couple Mai Tais, a Suffering Bastard and maybe also a Tiki Puka Puka. You go boy...

Called The Palms today and spoke with a lady there who tells me Trader Vic's currently plans to open April 15. Whatever the date, I hope to be there :)

G

I managed to make it over there earlier today. Interior construction is not nearly as far along as I thought it would be. It's way too early to tell exactly what this place is going to look like, but from what I saw, this is not going to be your father's Trader Vic's. It looks VERY modern. The resort itself is very generic looking with stark white buildings and blue metal roofs (ick). Don't expect a dim and moody interior: the restaurant has floor to ceiling glass walls that look out over the resort. But nighttime should be much nicer.

I don't care for the look of this resort at all. But in their defense (I guess...), it does reflect the architecture of the buildings around it. I just don't care for them either. Like I said, it's too early to tell what kind of atmosphere this Trader Vic's is going to have until we give the construction workers and interior decorators a chance to work their magic. Then I'll be back...

Here are some early pictures:

I would dearly love to rip out those blue awnings and replace them with thatch. And paint this building anything but white.

Here's an outrigger canoe lying on the floor:

T

April 15... Kinda looky like June 15....

They opened April 9, and I missed it...dang...spring break next week, so I guess I will head over then. I'll take pics to post.

M
Mytah posted on Thu, Apr 12, 2007 7:52 AM

I hope to make the trip next weekend. I've never been to a T.V. before ...pathetic huh? But I was wondering, do the restaurants generally carry Trader Vics products? or is it strictly mail order?

[ Edited by: Mytah 2007-04-12 10:28 ]

G

On 2007-04-11 19:05, SouthBamaTiki wrote:
They opened April 9

Really? The date really snuck up on me. Wondering how it turned out...

G

On 2007-04-12 07:52, Mytah wrote:
But I was wondering do the restuarants generally carry Trader Vics products? or is it strictly mail order.

TV Atlanta carries the syrups and mixes. I assume they all do, but I'm not positive. It's still a little cheaper than mail order because you don't have to pay for shipping, but the base price at the restaurant is more than the base mail order price. For example, I think the syrups are $5 each mail order (plus shipping, which can almost double the price), but something like $7.50 at the restaurant. Take a look at the pictures I posted a while back in the TV Atlanta thread in Locating Tiki and you will see the display cases with the products for sale.

S

The sign says it is a Mai Tai bar. That means, not a Trader Vic's, but the scaled down version. More emphasis on apps and drinks. Probably a greater emphasis on the aptio area as well and an island resort design rather than our notion of the classic Tiki bar. The website is pretty unappealing. There are good touches though.

Is it really open? I had an offer to go to Destin and passed it up, not thinking about this.

[ Edited by: Swanky 2007-04-12 10:07 ]

Well that was my original thought when I first heard about this place, that it was just going to be a Mai-Tai bar. But the Vic's site says they have an executive chef and a separate lounge and Mai-Tai bar. So, I dunno. I can tell you that it's a fairly smallish place for a Vic's. And then there's the whole modern Florida twist to the place that makes it different than all the other Vic's locations (and not nearly as desirable to many of us). But I'll reserve judgement til I see it. If nothing else, they will hopefully be able to serve good drinks, which is no small feat these days.

On 2007-04-12 10:04, Swanky wrote:
The website is pretty unappealing. There are good touches though.

Ah, I didn't notice your link at first. Hmmmm, not a tiki in sight. But the design architect did mention here that there will be "numerous Tikis coming from Indonesia (the same carvers that did the new entry tiki in Dallas) ranging in size from 5 to 12' tall". So maybe these photos are not terribly representative of the place or were possibly taken before the interior was completed.

S

Looks like maybe a tiki on the left. Also looks like the pictures were taken before they opened. Too bad it isn't going the "Destin" way and being over the top tacky. They could go whole hog decor there and it would fit right in...

Pages: 1 2 69 replies