Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Does a handled barrel mug fit in a tiki bar?

Pages: 1 9 replies

J

I found a set of six of these at a local resale shop, but passed on them. This might be a really dumb question but would they fit in a tiki bar? The only reason I would suspect they might is because the barrel looks a lot like many of the rum barrel mugs. If I remember right they were about 5-6 inches tall.

Search did not yield any results.
Thanks
JP

D
dibroc posted on Fri, Feb 2, 2007 6:03 PM

Looks like a run barrel to me. If you poured me a drink I would use it.

UJ

I'd say it belongs in your bar and or collection.

Here's the only barrel mug I have in my collection:

T

Hey Hey Hey, just because it dont have a Tiki on it doesn't mean it ain't Tiki! There's a lot more to this "Tiki Thing" then just the gods! Dont forget, back in the day, all the Rum came in barrel's so how more authentic can you get then that? You cant have a good tropical drink with out the Rum so it definitely fits in your Tiki Bar!

I have quite a few different styles, sizes and colored barrel mugs in my collection, some with handles and some without, and I know alot of other collectors do as well. Many of the Tiki mug manufactures back in the day (Like Otagiri, Tepco and Orchids of Hawaii to name a few) had their own versions like the handle less barrel mugs. The ones with the handles are a hell of alot easier to hold after a few drinks. You can find some real nice old ones and alot of them were made in Japan specifically for restaurants and the tourist/export demands.
Welcome the friendly barrel mugs to your collections with open arms!
Happy Hunting!! TabooDan

[ Edited by: TabooDan 2007-02-03 12:24 ]

On 2007-02-02 17:52, JohnnyP wrote:
... but would they fit in a tiki bar? ... If I remember right they were about 5-6 inches tall.

How small is your bar? If a 5" mug won't fit in your bar it must be tiny...... :wink:

Get them. You can always give them back to the thrift store in the future.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Feb 3, 2007 5:13 PM

I'd have em in my bar :)

Tiki bar should be mainly tiki/poly pop, with touches of other themes - whether it be nautical/oceanic, pirate, vegas etc to give it some more depth and variety.

Here's mine!
Post your Barrel Mugs here!

Hey JohnnyP. I saw the exact same mug in a huge antique mall here in Lubbock. This lady want $25 for it (with a good sized chip on the bottom), and she claimed it was red clay. Can you tell if yours is?

I know $25 is way too damn much, when right next to is was a Benehana white mystic man for $20. The only good thing was that she had a skull mug just like the one in my collection that had a Disney price tag on the bottom (sans price of course). I figured out it probably came from the Pirates ride.

On 2007-02-19 17:49, Lukeulele wrote:
Here's mine!
Post your Barrel Mugs here!

I have 1/2 Dozen of that exact same mug. :)

T

My all time favorite is the barrel mug from Trader Dick's with the hula girl handle.

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=207

[ Edited by: TikiPhil 2007-02-24 08:06 ]

Pages: 1 9 replies