Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Age restrictions in SF-area/CA tiki bars?

Pages: 1 8 replies

Hi!

We're travelling to the West Coast from UK in late-March/early April. Four days in SF, road trip to LA down PCH then across to Las Vegas for Easter weekend.

Definitely will visit as many tiki establishments as possible BUT we are travelling with our 16-year old daughter (veteran of 2 European and Chicago's T Vics) for first part of trip until we reach LA. In EU she can come with us everywhere but can't have alcoholic beverages until 18.

What's the rules for her in CA? If it's a restaurant (eg Tonga Room/TV) is she welcome but no booze allowed... if it's a bar (eg FI) no entrance at all?

Thanks for any help!
Liz & Chris

J

On 2007-02-03 09:42, 54 house of bamboo wrote:
If it's a restaurant (eg Tonga Room/TV) is she welcome but no booze allowed... if it's a bar (eg FI) no entrance at all?

That's pretty much it. Some of the restaurants will not even allow her to sit in the "bar" area. She won't be allowed to step foot in FI until she's 21. I expect the Los Angeles area is the same

P

Yeah, true. Bars like Tiki Ti will not let her in the door but restaurants like Trader Vic's and Bahooka will serve her anything except alcohol. That is going to limit your choices somewhat.

Given that while in LA you should try to include Bahooka in your plans with a visit to the (relatively by LA standards) nearby Oceanic Arts.

CL

Here's the technical answer. The legal drinking age in California is 21.

In California, under 21 admittance depends upon the type of business license held by the establishment. An operating license is a state/county requirement of every operating establishment. An establishment can have a bar plus restaurant license or just a bar license.

If the establishment holds a bar license and they let someone in who's under 21, they face heavy fines, can lose their license, and be forced to close their business. The rule is so stringent that a minor can't even step onto the exterior to the property. So it's kind of a stickler for these establishments.

Forbidden Island has a bar license, so under 21 cannot get in. Conga Lounge, Tonga Room, Hulas, and Trader Vics have both licenses since they're also restaurants, so under 21 can get in.

There are 3 Trader Vics (SF, Emeryville, Palo Alto), The Tonga Room in SF, The Conga Lounge in Oakland, and Hulas in Santa Cruz. I'd recommend sticking with those.

If you absolutely want to see Forbidden Island, and it's recommended, there are nearby coffee shops and restaurants where your daughter can wait for you.

That's so helpful. Thank you. We don't want to cause any problems for the bar owners - or ourselves - so we wanted to get the correct info before we arrive. We'll plan accordingly.

P

I might also add that Bahooka does have children's cocktails on the menu. They calle themselves a family restaurant, and they will serve non-alcoholic coctail-like concoctions to the kids so that they can join in the Tiki experience themselves. That is why Bahooka is (in my opinion) probably your best choice for a good TIki experience in the LA area if you are brining a kid with you. Oceanic Arts is a store that supplies many of the Tiki themed bars and restaurants and are not a bar (although they do occasionally have drinks there for special occasions).

Before visiting Bahooka's, go to their website for the discount coupon.

G

Thanks for these tips. We'll be in both San Fran and LA this June with both our kids. Does anyone know specifically if Trader Vic's in Emeryville and in Beverly Hills forbids kids from sitting at a table in the bar area? I prefer the bar area over the dining rooms cuz we can just nibble on pu-pus and soak up more atmosphere there.

CL

Not sure about the specific Emeryville policy, but the bar tables do have a short wall dividing them from the bar...and they're used as an overflow for people waiting for tables, so logically it seems it would be open to everyone. If you need a specific answer, it's best to call ahead and ask.

Also, if it's nice weather, check out the back patio over the water. It's a lovely place to sit and spend some time enjoying tasty beverages. :)

On 2007-02-07 10:06, GatorRob wrote:
Thanks for these tips. We'll be in both San Fran and LA this June with both our kids. Does anyone know specifically if Trader Vic's in Emeryville and in Beverly Hills forbids kids from sitting at a table in the bar area? I prefer the bar area over the dining rooms cuz we can just nibble on pu-pus and soak up more atmosphere there.

Pages: 1 8 replies