Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Spar Varnish on Reed Fencing and Lauhala Matting? Project pic added!

Pages: 1 4 replies

AJ

Aloha!

So I know spar varnish is good to preserve and protect bamboo and palmwood. So how about using it on lauhala matting and reed fencing (the stuff from Home Depot)? It'll get full sun exposure and rained on. Will brushing on spar varnish keep the reed fencing from greying? Thompsons water seal any good for this? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Mahalo.

[ Edited by: Aloha John 2007-02-07 22:09 ]

AJ

OK I found some info on http://www.franksupply.com -

FAQ – What is the best finish to apply to this matting upon completion? Varnish is best for two reasons first it drys as a flexable finish so it tends to crack less often and makes it easy to clean

Sooo I bought some Varathane Spar Urethane. That's the correct stuff right (same as marine spar varnish)?

I applied a coat to the matting last night. Product calls for 3 coats. I think I go for 2. Note to self~ 4" brush does not fit in quart can. Duh.

And unless I can get a 55 gallon drum full of spar varnish (that would be like $2000) that I could dunk the rolls of reed fencing in, I don't think I bother with them. I'll just try the rattle can varnish to make em last a little longer, and just replace them when they go grey.

I guess I should've added a pic to show you this project...I think you all will dig it.

Here they are. In this pic there is 1 coat on the matting only. I just brushed on a 2nd coat on the matting, and the 1st coat on the boo. They are the new doors for my shed that I am giving a makeover.

The outer bamboo pieces are not nailed on yet because my hinges mount behind them. Gotta hang the doors then attach them last. I can't wait to see it all done!

[ Edited by: Aloha John 2007-02-07 22:12 ]

I do not think it will keep it from turning gray if left out in the direct weather. I have some under a patio cover that I left natural and 4 years later its still good. It never gets wet and is protected form the sun. I have put varnish on bamboo before and after a while in the sun it peels. Nice panels.

what's up, john? the spar should be good for what you are going to use it for, but may need to be reapplied after a few years if it is in direct sun and weather. Don't bother urathaning the reed fencing - too expensive and time consuming, unless that's what you really want. If it's out in constant weather, it will grey. I don't know about thompsons on bamboo - I do know it's crap with anything other than decking, but I've never tried with bamboo.

Great looking doors - you got the bamboo stuff down, so maybe try your hand at carving?

Have fun!

Aloha John,
Great use of Bosko's Kane and Wahine! I have a couple of them in my tiki bedroom and always get great comments on them. You did a great job with those panels!

I, too, will be creating an couple outdoor walls that I will use lauhala matting and bamboo and was wondering about what to use as protectant. I bought the spar in a spray and am hoping it will protect my walls thru the summer months and into the early winter. I plan to bring my walls inside the garage during the roughest part of the winter. Update you posting as the year progresses so we can see if this is the best plan of protection!

• Myke

Pages: 1 4 replies