Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Lost Paradise, Vancouver's Waldorf, July 21

Pages: 1 2 57 replies

PLT

Heritage Vancouver & Funhauser Decor are happy to announce:

Lost Paradise - an enchanted day & night in the Polynesian Rooms of the fabulous Waldorf.
Saturday, July 21st, 2007
Tickets $50 - include lectures/dinner/entertainment
Lost Paradise

Finally, an event in Vancouver, Canada!
Vancouver’s last remaining classic Tiki venue will be host to this full day event. This is a fundraiser for Heritage Vancouver, the people that champion endangered venues like the Waldorf. There will be tours and a historic lecture followed by dinner, cocktails and entertainment into the late night. The Polynesian themed rooms will be open for your lounging pleasure. We hope to showcase the Waldorf the way it was meant to be experienced. We also want to profile Vancouver’s Tiki Scene, past & present. Anyone that loves classic venues like this won’t be disappointed, this place is a treasure!

Lectures & Entertainment:

Donald Luxton from Heritage Vancouver will talk about the history of Tiki in Vancouver. His presentation will include historic photos and details about the many venues including Trader Vic's that once flourished in our city.

Tiki Central's Dawn Frasier (aka Sophista-Tiki) will be talking about her Polynesian Americana Museum of Polynesian Pop. Her lecture will cover the concept, logistics and time-line of bringing her dream to reality.

Then it's time for tours of the Waldorf and dinner in the Polynesian Room.

Entertainment follows with Selector Lopaka spinning his Exotica magic in the Tahitian Lounge under the twinkling twilight starred ceiling and velvets by Leeteg.

Meanwhile, downstairs, the Polynesian Lounge will host local surfabilly band The Kon Tikis spiced with some South Pacific themed Burlesque by Shaboobie Boobarella.

For pictures from past events, visit:
'Holy Crap, It's a Tiki Event in Vancouver' (July 2005)
Sabina's Seven Pleasures Gallery

An important travel note to plan ahead:
If you are planning to come to this event from the U.S. you may require a valid passport. Not so much for entering Canada but for returning home. Anyone entering the U.S. by air requires a valid passport. For Land and Sea, you can still use picture ID. However, it’s been my experience that people with passports are processed faster (U.S. citizens or not).
For more info, visit the U.S. Customs website.

[ Edited by: Pepe le Tiki 2007-02-17 08:16 ]

[ Edited by: Pepe le Tiki 2007-07-06 17:48 ]

M

I'm planning sacrifices to the tiki gods that we'll have Tiki Kon so ready and on target that we can make the trek up there!

D

we will be there. passports & colorful canadian money ~ all ready! WALDORF WALDORF WALDORF.

I'm glad this is happening. I'm doubtful I'll be going...(that oughta boost ticket sales).

Americans dont need passports to get into Canada, We only need passports to get into America. Sounds like a good time Pepe.

T

I thought I would never get to see the Waldorf. Thanks for giving us plenty of advance notice. I can't wait!

I've been waiting for this ever since the last one. I'm so there.

I never did post my photos from the summer of 2005 Waldorf excursion. So I'll post a few here to perhaps garner a bit more attention for this great tiki temple:

Downstairs

Upstairs with Lushy

Tiki downstairs

Mask downstairs

Still best not to ask.

hahaha
Nice Slacks, who is that coconut masked woman, anyhow? :wink:

This event I may be able to make it out for, I'm going to try my darnedest!

The Waldorf is an absolute treasure to behold.

I was in Canada a few months ago and went to the Waldorf. They refused to let me into the Tiki Bar. I was disappointed I didn't get to see it.

PLT

Thanks for your interest in the event, we'd really love to see you all here for it!! Coupled with Tiki Kon V, it could be a fun NW Tiki excursion!

Just wanted to share this vintage postcard I received from the manager. I thought it was beatiful now!! Still has it's luster but not quite like this..

PS - TikiTrevor sorry to hear about that. It's been difficult in the past to get in. They now have a new manager that seems to realize what they have. You can always join us here on the July 21st for another chance! :)

TD

a tiki event in CANADA?!? oh i might have to take a look.

We now have a website! Lost Paradise
Watch for upcoming event info and news...

M

Those photos are awesome. Oh, we may have to come visit even before the event. The Tikimama and I need a nice weekend in Vancouver, BC.

-=C

Great looking site Pepe!

Thanks TW! It's pretty basic but it's a start!

Melintur & Tikimama let me know when you come to town!!

also...Just got our first entertainer onboard. Our very own Selector Lopaka will be spinning his exotica tunes for us!

On 2007-02-07 12:08, thejab wrote:
I thought I would never get to see the Waldorf. Thanks for giving us plenty of advance notice. I can't wait!

Hooray! Yet another reason for me to make the trip, Jab will be in town!

T

Thanks for sharing the postcard. I got a chance to stop in here on a trip to Vancouver last year. The polynesian rooms were all closed up, but if you ask at the front desk, they're happy to let you in, and they even gave us a nice little tour. Super cool place! All the Leetegs on the walls were amazing!

Website update alert! Lost Paradise
Tickets ($50 cdn) will be available online in few days, just working out some technical details. There's more news to come in the coming weeks, so stay tuned!

D

tickets are ready for purchase at http://www.heritagevancouver.org/
buy early save some dough!

Thanks DB, you beat me to it! Come and party with us at the Waldorf everyone!!

T

The Lost Paradise event at the fabulous Waldorf Hotel is one event you wont want to miss!!! This may be one of the last chances to see this great Tiki establishment!! It sure isnt getting any younger and you all know how quickly places can change. One of the best examples of Polynesian Restaurants/Bars in North America! It's also quite amazing that it is still mostly untouched from it's original splendor of 1955!
Three great rooms (and a few other areas) all completly different from each other and all with there own decor. Rare original handcarved masks, 6 original Leeteg paintings, (Yes, I said 6!!! Most people only know of the four in the Tahitian Twilite Lounge but there are also two tucked away for you to find downstairs!) breathtaking architecture, plenty of tropical decor and lots of bamboo!
This place is a must to see for all the Tiki/Hawaiian/Polynesian enthusiasts out there.
Here's a little taste for yah!!

Part of the Eugene Savage wall to wall mural in the Polynesian Room.

A corner of the Tahitian Lounge Bar with those great drum stools based off the famous Edgar Leeteg velvet painting "Tahitian Drummer" which is also hanging on the wall opposite the bar!

The rarely seen Leeteg velvet painting tucked away in the Menehune Room. This one is also hard to see because it is recessed in the wall and the bulbs that give it a light glow have been burnt out for quite some time. This room is also one of the rooms that is only open for special events. Nows your chance!!

Gotta show you this one of the cool Waldorf Hotel sign at night. It's pretty cool to see it when it's all lit up.

Hopefully I've managed to get some of you considering coming out to the event. It will be worth the trip!!
Check out: http://www3.telus.net/funhauserdecor/lostparadise.htm
For more information on the event.

Mahalo, TabooDan

Edited to fix photos and enlarge them.

[ Edited by: TabooDan 2009-05-21 21:27 ]

R

Nice pictures! I can't wait for Lost Paradise!

here's five good reasons to make the trip!

1. Learn more about the amazing history and allure of Polynesian pop culture!
  2. Rare chance to enjoy the Waldorf in all it's glory!
  3. Strong Rum drinks!
  4. Hula dancers, Food, Bands and Tiki Art!
  5. Stronger Rum Drinks!

click here!

http://www3.telus.net/funhauserdecor/lostparadise.htm

Hope to see you all there! Taboo Tiki will be one of the vendors in the famous Tahitian lounge selling all new original carvings and art!

Aloha!

Reid-O
http://www.tabootiki.com

D

we've got our Lost Paridise tickets, and a room at the sandman suites..

less than 4 weeks away!! looking forward to seeing and touching all that wonderful bamboo in the Polynesian rooms..

i cant believe its been a year since the last canadian tiki invasion it looked a little like this:

Don't miss out ~ Pepe says he's not sure how much longer the Waldorf will be the Waldorf...

On 2007-06-23 13:02, dogbytes wrote:
we've got our Lost Paridise tickets, and a room at the sandman suites

[snip]

i cant believe its been a year since the last canadian tiki invasion

That's because it's been two years.

We'll see you at the Sandman (unless you see us first). Who else is staying at the Sandman Suites? (note that this is the Sandman Suites on Davie - not the Sandman on Georgia).

PLT

On 2007-06-23 13:02, dogbytes wrote:
we've got our Lost Paridise tickets, and a room at the sandman suites..

less than 4 weeks away!! looking forward to seeing and touching all that wonderful bamboo in the Polynesian rooms..

i cant believe its been a year since the last canadian tiki invasion it looked a little like this:

Don't miss out ~ Pepe says he's not sure how much longer the Waldorf will be the Waldorf...

That was a blast... we must recreate it!!!!

T

This place is amazing.

I am so gald you guys are getting to do an event there.

I'm tempted to jump on a plane...

T
twitch posted on Fri, Jul 6, 2007 4:11 PM

Count me in!
Especially as I'm only a few blocks away...

James, Jump on a Plane, Jump on a Plane!!!!! I would love to talk with you in person. Dawn

On 2007-07-06 18:11, Sophista-tiki wrote:
James, Jump on a Plane, Jump on a Plane!!!!! I would love to talk with you in person. Dawn

I second that. Bring copies of TRT2. Do we have to start a petition?

T

I'll have to agree with that!!!
James (and everyone on here), if you're available, it would be great to see you at the event! We don't know how much longer this historic spot will be around!! There are some great Tiki goings on in this area around the same time!! Besides our little Tiki gathering at Lost Paradise, there is the Tiki Kon V (http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=22775&forum=4) the following weekend in Portland, Oregon. Just a quick 5 hour drive or so South of here! Everyone that is interested should consider this as it's great on the West coast this time of year and who couldn't use a vacation or a quick get away!!

We'll be trying to fit in both Events so are looking forward to meeting and seeing a few of the TC dwellers!! I just gotta add a couple more photo's of the Waldorf to try and get more people to drool on their keyboards and consider coming here!

This picture is of the seldom seen Menehune Room. There's the Xiphias Gladius (Swordfish - I had to look that up!) on the left side and you can see the Menehune men carved pole off to the right. Note the low thatch ceiling, matting on the walls and on the opposite wall, is about 10' of original tapa cloth covering the wall along with a Leeteg painting. This room is one of the reasons to worry about the Waldorf's life. There are quite a few problems with it and the Fire Marshal isn't too keen on keeping this one open to the public!!

This one is of the beautiful large frosted window in the downstairs Tahitian Dining Room. This window can be hard to photograph so I thought this was a good one showing the shape of the window, the tropical scene and the bamboo and rock walls.

Here's a nice picture of the Bar in the Polynesian Lounge. These pictures can not do this place justice!! This bar is really cool with the mirrors behind it which show the matted walls of the half circle room and recessed Leeteg Paintings. Full bamboo skirting on the front of the bar looks great along with those handcarved 'Drum' stools. You gotta see this place!!

Aloha!! TabooDan

On 2007-07-06 10:21, tikibars wrote:

I'm tempted to jump on a plane...

Do it!!! Would love to have you here! (....and The Jab too!!!)

Was also great to meet you Twitch! So good to have another Vancouver TC'er among us!

Also ...I've added some more details to the first post!

R
Reid-O posted on Sat, Jul 7, 2007 1:04 PM

Wow! Only two weeks to go! I can't wait. Taboo Dan and I have been in the studio working hard to make some real unique new tiki art and fresh new carvings! All pieces will be up for grabs at Lost Paradise! Hope to see you there!

Okay everyone....time's a tickin' to get tickets to this event!! You don't want to miss out!

Here is the Event poster done by Taboo Tiki's very talented artist, Reido. It will be available at the event in Limited Quantities so make sure you come by our tables and say Hi! We will be vending at the event inside the Waldorf and we will have lot's of stuff for you to check out!!

Hope to see you there!! Mahalo!! TabooDan

D

what's the exchange rate ~ dead presidents to your fancy money?

i cant wait to see what Reido & Dan have for sale.. i'm still a bit envious of the huge moai at Puamana's house!

The Exchange Rate Today is:

Live rates at 2007.07.14 23:47:33 UTC

1.00 CAD = 0.954426 USD

OR

1.00 USD = 1.04775 CAD

This time next week, sipping drinks amongst Leeteg paintings, under a twinkling twighlight ceiling and the finest faux palm trees!

Waldorf!!!

Lost Paradise, the day after.....
So folks, I'm thinking about getting together to share in the joy of our collective hang-overs on Sunday! I know many of you will be heading home but before you go, perhaps a brunch here: Subeez
then a jaunt to Funhauser for a 'closed door' (sorry Oprah) party with some tropical punch, one possibly spiked with a certain Cuban rum?
Brunch could start at 11am then Funhauser around 1pm-ish.
Post here or PM me if you're interested! I can make the reservations.

I'd definitely be interested in brunch, I'll have to ask the other three 1/2 members of my travelling contingent. We're heading off to buy a kitchen from Ikea afterwards, so that would be the perfect start to the day

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine 2007-07-16 16:01 ]

I'm there. Gary's there too, unless the amputation goes horribly, horribly wrong.

The brunch thing will depend on what rock I climb out from the morning after! We'll see!

Hey Dogbytes, make sure you have lots of room in your suitcase!! In fact, you might as well bring an entire suitcase just for Tiki stuff!!
We'll have a few good ones for yah!

For now, here's a 'little' sneak peak of a couple of items Taboo Tiki will have at the show.

Along with some of our import items, we will have one of a kind, original art pieces made specifically for this show. Make sure you come and say Aloha!!

Looking forward to seeing you all again! See you at the Waldorf!! TabooDan

Morning kids. FYI Im putting the canopy on my truck so that I can haul back loot for people who cant fit it in their cars. ( insert evil laugh here)
Seriously, I would be happy to transport things back to Seattle for my friends. Dawn

D

we're packing the car, and we're on our way to Vancouver, BC. see you at The Waldorf!

A BIG Mahalo to all those that made it to Lost Paradise! It was alot of work but well worth it! We raised money for Heritage Vancouver and had fun doing it in an amazing venue! I'm also happy to report that Heritage Van President Donald Luxton, spoke with the owners about restoration and heritage status possibilities. A glimmer of hope for the Waldorf at the very least!

Thanks to the lecturers Donald Luxton and Dawn Frasier (Sophista-tiki)!

..and to the great entertainers:
DJ Selector Lopaka and his exotica tunes!
Shaboobie Boobarella and her Savage South Seas Burlesque!
The Kon Tikis and their rockin Surfabilly sound!

...and to the vendors for their patience with our last minute changes! Heather Watts & Bob Scott

Taboo Dan & Reido from Taboo Tiki who helped keep me somewhat sane & focused throuout the challenging planning stages!!!

Now I must prepare my liver for Portland's Tiki Kon V!!

[ Edited by: Pepe le Tiki 2007-07-22 21:53 ]

[ Edited by: Pepe le Tiki 2007-07-23 12:05 ]

Anybogy got pict to post, I only took pics of the amazing mural, that I will gladdly save and use for my museum project. But of course Im hoping that the Waldorf stays open.
Dawn

I managed to get these photos from a Heritage Van member! I didn't bring a camera (surprise) but I know there's more pics out there!
Atomic Al and Sweet Daddy Tiki (seated) take in the show!

Some South Seas Burlesque by Shaboobie Boobarella

Vancouver band The Kon Tikis rocked the Tahitian Lounge in true surfabilly style.

Tikiwahine with her mom and little Jasmine (Her first Tiki event!)

Pepe le Tiki seeks some relief from the tropical heat and a crazy evening.

[ Edited by: Pepe le Tiki 2007-07-24 09:13 ]

[ Edited by: Pepe le Tiki 2007-07-24 09:15 ]

A Huge Thank You to Pepe le Tiki for organizing Vancouver's first tiki event!! We all had a wonderful time, it was so great to catch up with tiki centralites & tiki affictionados on my home turf.

The Waldorf sure is an incredible place, I hope many more are able to see it before it disappears.

R

Aloha! to all those who made Lost Paradise a night to remember! A Special Mahalo to Pepe le Tiki for making it all happen! Also a big mahalo to everyone who came from out of town and to all those who found new homes for Taboo Tiki art! Let's do it again!

[ Edited by: Reid-O 2007-07-24 20:35 ]

Pages: 1 2 57 replies