Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Ono's near San Diego question

Pages: 1 4 replies

J

Has anybody been to Ono's in Bonita in the San Diego area. My parents just called and said they went to this restaurant that had a lot of "those carvings you do" and "had a lot that looked just like yours". They said the more you looked the more you saw.

They said the restaurant did have a bar and it served Asian food.

Is this a tiki bar ? I searched and didn't find any description of it here.

I'd go check it out myself but I am 2,500 + miles away.

JP

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2007-02-06 18:27 ]

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Feb 6, 2007 7:14 PM

Ono's isn't a bar (not last time I was there), it's a cafe with really great Hawaiian food and a tiki theme. They have a LOT of tikis, like 25 or more crammed into this little space with 8 or so tables. They have tiki shrines, tiki lighting, a huge saltwater fish tank with turtles swimming around, it's actually pretty amazing. It's done exactly the way a brand new Tiki Bar should be, it just doesn't serve alcohol! Bonita provides a pretty sizeable Islander clientele.

The notable thing about Ono's is the food is friggin amazing. It's like gourmet Kalua Pork. Gourmet sushi. They serve lots of Hawaiian coffee and the desserts are awesome. It's really fattening.

I'll try to post some pictures sometime.

T

I don't get out to Bonia very often, but I wonder if this place is part of the large number of Polynesian/Hawaiian fast food places that have sprouted around San Diego County in recent years.

There are at least 3 Hawaiian BBQ places within 5 miles (as the crow flies) from my house, and one a stone's throw from my workplace. At least one of them has Tiki, but is limited to your run-of-the-mill, store-bought tikis (so don't go rushing over there, unless you want a Hawaiian plate lunch).

To the best of my knowledge Ono's tahitian style Tikis are primarily carved by the team of Harvey Mendiola and Foi Mo.

TT

There is also a Big Concrete Moai out front, called into that mall today and was suprised to find this place.. Looks nice and some cool tikis inside but no booze.. I guess that's what the Tiki Farm Pocket Kahuna Flask is for....

Pages: 1 4 replies