Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Super Thrift Store Score...

Pages: 1 16 replies

J

for Maryland at least. I happened by the local Goodwill this morning before heading off to work and had quite a score! I was just finished looking through the baskets and wooden junk and came across a wooden Hawaii souvenir bowl with a hip looking ‘50's motif. I was happy with that for $1.00 and was heading to the door when I saw a Hawaiian Inn Leilani mug for 50 cents! (I know in other tiki-plentiful areas that wouldn't be a big deal but here in rural Bel Air Maryland that is a major score! This is only the second tiki mug I've ever found in a thrift store!!) Okay so I was walking to the counter to pay, satisfied with what turned out to be a pretty fruitful excursion when I saw it! In the showcase near the counter were two Fezzes! One was a Boumi fez with the rhinestone face - the other was almost the same in appearance but said Lulu above the jeweled design. The price said $25.00 - the lady at the counter said she would let me have one for $20.00! I was ecstatic wearing the fez home with my bag full of decent loot. Will post a picture of the fez – it is stunning!!

:drink:

HH

No matter how small its always great to find something at a great price., sounds like you did well.

G
GECKO posted on Fri, Jan 10, 2003 8:55 PM

JonTiki, congrats! like u said neva get da kine, tiki stuff ova de ya, so u did great!

Like here, I neva find witco in da trift sto, but on da mainland get plenty, so even if it's a small piece of witco like one candle holder, I would be so happy! someone on da mainland might say "oh ya dats a ok find". So great find!

J

Here is a pic of my loot...

:drink:

Nice score John.

Well done John. My fez is also a Lu Lu, but it's not as encrusted with 'precious' stones as yours. The letters are made of gold and silver 'piped' thread, and it looks fairly old (and a tad moth-eaten). I got it a long time ago, but if my memory serves me, the Lu Lu shriners are based in Philly. In fact, this fez was made by S Abrahams & Co of Philadelphia. Perhaps yours was too.

Trader Woody

T

That is a GREAT score John, take it from one East Coast"er" to another, I would be surprised to find any ONE of those things in my local Goodwill.

Cheers :drink:

LULU, nice.
That is such a good find. The thrift stores here in Southern California are picked clean. Still, I frequent them often with high hopes.
A toast to crabby thrift store lady, she needs a cigerrette break bad and doesn't want to deal with you hipsters, heh.

Thrift stores here in the south aren't too bad at all. My boyfriend and I have found quite a bit of great tiki stuff, and the best part is that if they have anything tiki we are probably the only ones interested in it! Sometimes it is slow on the mugs (although we have found several coconut mugs around) but there is lots of good 50's style stuff to beef up our bar! Anyway, it's the chase that keeps us going and the scarcity of things makes it even better when you do come across something! Anyway notice how sometimes the antique/junk stores skyrocket their tiki mug prices? Maybe that is just around here, but we once saw a hula girl mug that they wanted $20 for. I thought that was a little out of control. Oh well, didn't really want it anyway!

Happy Tiki Hunting!

Nice fez, I just found one at the Golden West swap meet in Huntington Beach last weekend for the same price. Looks like that the going rate.

Luckydesigns et al,

I saw a health department notice just last week warning of an outbreak of head lice in fezzes!

Time for the little comb and tiny hairdryer eh?

Bong, are you serious? If you are, this is not a cool situation. Wait a minute....with all the grease and sh*t I put in my hair, I don't think anything could survive in it anyway.

I think its kinda funny picturing head lice wearing fezzes!

S

When I was in Baltimore in the late 80's, I found more great stuff in the thrift stores than I could carry home! Some of it is still prized to me. I think B'more is a pretty conservative town and the good stuff didn't get snatched up. Maybe.

We found some tiki stuff in an antique store in a small town near here this weekend. We got two of the Disney, two-face, Polynesian Village clear mugs for $4 each. Vintage. One is twice the normal size. We have not seen one like that. But the price stickers said "Clown mug" and "Ugly face mug."

We see plenty of tiki mugs around here. Too many Orchids of Hawaii and especially the surfer girl mugs.

Our dream is to rent a large truck and tour the Midwest and Florida and all over, just thrifting and piling up the awesome stuff old people toss out of their basements...

There's an antique store that has had a Orchids of Hawaii volcano bowl in there for a couple of years....price...$215.00....

Hey Swanky, where in TN do you live? I grew up close to the state line in north central Alabama. I've been to tons of antique stores in TN with my parents when I was younger but not too many since tiki took over my life. I have found some tiki stuff in Franklin, TN but you have to watch the prices there. How are the stores there? I will have to try them my next visit home!

Happy Tiki Hunting!

[iTiki_Bong wrote:[/i]
I saw a health department notice just last week warning of an outbreak of head lice in fezzes!

It's even worse than that, Bong - mine's given me crabs!

Trader Woody

(just realised this really IS one where I may need to add a "Ha ha -I'm joking" addendum, as occasionally these trans-Atlantic posts go wide of the mark)

[ Edited by: Trader Woody on 2003-01-17 13:41 ]

Pages: 1 16 replies