Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Do they still make this style of hurricane glass?

Pages: 1 17 replies

J

Does anybody know where you can buy (if you can buy) this style of hurricane glass?

Image taken from Grog Log.

Thanks
JP

D

PMed you

I recently found 2 of these at a flea market here in central florida, but they have the logo tiki face from the disney polynesian resort orlando, and say disney on them but they are cool for 1$ a piece.

We have a store near us that sells to cater co. bars and the like. While thumbing through their catalog of glassware I saw that type of glass. I think that Libby offered it if I remember corectly...

dynasty wholesale - $32/doz
http://www.dynastywholesale.com/page-5.html

All of the everyday glassware in my home bar is open stock from Libby. The big advantage to that is if you break stuff when you're intoxicated you can go down to the local restaurant supply store and easily replace. Your local restaurant supply store is sure to have open stock Hurricane glasses.

On 2007-02-15 06:03, exotica59 wrote:
We have a store near us that sells to cater co. bars and the like. While thumbing through their catalog of glassware I saw that type of glass. I think that Libby offered it if I remember corectly...

This is from the current Libbey catalog, page 50. Not exactly the same but pretty darn close. It was a drawing after all.

You can download the Libbey glassware catalog from http://www.libbey.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=61&Itemid=89. I've found that my local restaurant supply store will only let be buy glasses by the dozen so you might be in for a few. They used to let my buy one at a time though so each store may differ.

[ Edited by: sporkboyofjustice 2007-02-21 03:39 ]

J

Thank you for the link, I down loaded the catalog and am looking for a local distributor. Those are close enough for me.

But if somebody has some vintage ones like that in the Grog Log drawing they would like to sell please contact me.

Did you notice the Libbey tiki mugs in the catalog?

JP

I'm glad that I was able to help. Libbey has made those tiki mugs for at least 3 years now though they could have been making them longer. They each come in 2 glazes and quality of the coloring and glaze thickness vary quite a bit. They retail for about $3 but have most recently been seen at dollar stores.

Those glasses are looking cooler and cooler to me, I might have to get some once I get a place with good glassware storage.

I saw a Pat O'Briens glass in this shape the other day at the thrift store. I didn't pick it up, but it caught my eye because it was so different than the MANY other Hurricane glasses I see from there all the time.

Chris

This glass is driving me nuts too.

The "Super Thistle" from libby is too big. Where is the plain ol' Thistle?

TV uses it for the molokia mike drink.
Huge props for whover can find it for me.
Robertiki

I think that the thistle design only comes in 21 ounces at this point and it looks like Libbey is the only one that I could find that makes it. Oddly enough it is used to serve Scottish Ale so that's why it has that shape. Not sure about the size though but 21 ounces of ale sounds good to me.

HI all,

I realize I'm reviving a 7 year old threat. Sorry. But,... :) I too am looking for this infamous glass. Neither Libbey nor Dynasty Wholesale carry this glass anymore. I've found "Planet Hollywood" branded ones on eBay and Etsy, but that's about it.

Has anyone had any luck finding this glass? Why is it so damn appealing? :)

Thank you

I've seen the Plantet Hollywood ones quite a bit in thrifts also. Priced right, but the logo really turns me off. I was thinking about purchasing one and taking a bit of paint remover to it to see if I could get the logo off without damaging the glass. But.....wondering if I'm in for a world of hurt seeing as the paint remover probably isn't food safe and not sure if there would be any residue left on the glass after logo removal and washing the glass.

howlinowl

On 2014-09-23 20:38, howlinowl wrote:
I've seen the Plantet Hollywood ones quite a bit in thrifts also. Priced right, but the logo really turns me off. I was thinking about purchasing one and taking a bit of paint remover to it to see if I could get the logo off without damaging the glass. But.....wondering if I'm in for a world of hurt seeing as the paint remover probably isn't food safe and not sure if there would be any residue left on the glass after logo removal and washing the glass.

howlinowl

I bought a set off of eBay. I'm going to try steel wool/scotch brite pads on it. It's unbelievable that there is such an awesome glass out there and no one makes it!

T

Bargreen Ellingson has the 15oz. thistle glass on its website but you may have to buy a case. Oh, and it's made by Libby.

aloha, tikicoma

On 2014-09-23 21:00, tikicoma wrote:
Bargreen Ellingson has the 15oz. thistle glass on its website but you may have to buy a case. Oh, and it's made by Libby.

aloha, tikicoma

Exactly what I was looking for - Thank you!

BTW, Libbey still makes the Super Thistle in 2 sizes, 15 oz (No. 3402) and 20 oz (No. 3629).

• fm

Pages: 1 17 replies