Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Q: Can you make a Tiki Mug that looks like stone?

Pages: 1 10 replies

Is it possible to make a large Tiki Mug that look like it was carved out of stone? Would you have to stipple your clay/wax sculpture, creating a stone-like rough surface, then find a flat dark grey glaze to mimic? Is there a stone-like plaster that I could fill a slip with that could be easily pored out? How much definition would I loose? Would it weight considerably more than your average mug?

So many questions.

I just have a few mug ideas that would look better as stone than wood.

T

"Is it possible to make a large Tiki Mug that look like it was carved out of stone?"

Anything is possible

A tiki mug and bowl artist by the name of Gecko in my opinion (and many others) would have to have the best stone/lava glaze techniques. So yes it is possible, but its not like your going to know how its done unless you experiment. There are other examples of stone glazed mugs but thought that I would show you the best example.

pic from Traveling

I'm thinking about sculpting the mug out of clay, stippling the surface with volcanic rock, and once I'm up to glazing, I'll do a good coat of flat grey/black and see if I can dry brush a lighter flat stone grey over it. I will have to make a textured swatch to glaze and see how the colors will melt/blend together, if at all. Will a color standout if you brush it over black?

I'm still designing my first few mugs (I have about 6 ideas) and wanted to know if stone was even a possibility. There's a great image in Sven's Book of Tiki of a volcano bowl done in stone with a multi-colored lava glaze on top. I'm trying to dissect that method and see if I can apply it to my mug. The rest will have a wood look and classic solid semi-transparent colors.

Has anyone here used Laguna Glazes? Do they mix well?

Keep us posted as to your successes and I guess, failures. I think that the glazes are what defines a great tiki mug or figures. I especially like the lava glazes you get on certain 'West Germany' pottery. It Rocks! Well, i guess it would if it was lava!?!! If anyone out there knows, and wants to share, how to get that frothy lava look...Let us know!

It's way past my bedtime here in England and I'm starting to 'glaze over' myself! Keep up the enthusiasm and let us all know how you get on. Let us know when you do those mugs too!

All the Best from Tiki Towers - Trader Jim (Make mine a MAI-TAI...in a nicely glazed mug!).

V

There is a GREAT Laguna glaze that looks EXACTLY like black lava rock - rocky/bubbly texture and all - that I went coo-coo for at the ceramic shop a few years ago. My bubble was quickly popped when I learned that it wasn't food safe (as seems to be alwyas the case with glazes I fall in love with!). Good luck!

Henrik

On 2007-02-20 15:37, VanTiki wrote:
There is a GREAT Laguna glaze that looks EXACTLY like black lava rock - rocky/bubbly texture and all - that I went coo-coo for at the ceramic shop a few years ago. My bubble was quickly popped when I learned that it wasn't food safe (as seems to be always the case with glazes I fall in love with!). Good luck!

Henrik

Food safe? Like the alcohol's not going to kill you anyway, ha, ha!!
Mmmmm...'black lava rock glaze'. Gimmee, gimmee!

Trader Jim (Make mine a MAI-TAI...in a Bio Hazard ZOMBIE mug if necessary!!!).

Certainly! I remember hanging out at the hippy art co-op Many Hands in the early 70's and there were lots of "stone" mugs. It may be called stoneware. It may be pre-stoneware. I do not know.
One of my Munktikis is stoney. I'll take a pic in the morning.

Here is a OK pic.

Signature? I ain't signin nothin!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2007-02-20 21:13 ]

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2007-02-20 21:14 ]

[ Edited by: BlackFish 2009-09-08 04:11 ]

Don't forget, that to get the ressesed black you have to coat the piece then sponge it clean just leaving the black in the crevisces. I guess you could do that with a variety of colors but that is how i would do it. "Jesus Christ, i think we got it! and who are you? Just a guy..." and just my simple opinion. If you haven't watch brain candy do it now.

I have never met a drink I didn't like, unless it was that time I met beer...

[ Edited by: Mike the Headhunter 2007-02-23 08:40 ]

T

But just think with a textured mold, you won't want to spray the molded cause it will come out reverse. Bumpy out will become bumpy in. And maybe that will still look the same. But I think the point is that you want the glaze to appear stone in color/texture. And we know it can be done.

Pages: 1 10 replies