Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

er....are these crap or something?

Pages: 1 11 replies

E

Hi all -

wondering why no real interest in these 2 Islander mugs? -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2152769944&ssPageName=ADME:X:BN:US:2

muy curioso,
emspace.

E

Hey guys, I'm very sincere in this question...I don't know nearly enough about rarity/collectability of mugs (though I know what turns my crank), I saw these yesterday and it looks like a great bargain. But the question remains: are they crap? Are they fakes, or in too crappy condition, or just numerous as hell?

I anxiously await the opinion of the many experts that I know inhabit this forum. I am not looking to start a bidding war with anyone here, just wanting my curiosity satisfied. Honestly. I don't have the spare moola anyway.

peas,
emspace.

DZ

These mugs are pretty cool and, if you don't have at least one already, would make a nice addition to your collection. However, they are not all that hard to come by. Quite a few places used this style, but the ones from "The Islander" are the only ones that show up on eBay with any regularity.
As far as the seller goes, I have made a few purchases from 'cragikc' (actually a very nice gal named Alexa), and I've found her descriptions to be very honest, she is a pleasure to deal with, and she ships her items almost instantly. In my opinion, the chances of her knowingly selling a fake is slim to none.
The condition of the mugs, however, does seem to be less than perfect, but if you can pick up the pair for under $20, it might be worth it (and THAT, my friend, is up to you to decide...)

Hope this helps!

E

Doctor Z, you're a gent. Thanks for the very informative and thoughtful reply.

best,
emspace.

I agree with Z... if you can get the pair for less than $20, thats pretty good. But I'm sure the true bargain headhunters would disagree. If I only bought mugs I could find for $5 or less, I'd have a pretty puny collection! I won't pay those hundred $$ & up "holy grail" prices, but I don't mind paying $40 or so for mugs I don't have.

And remember to buy what you like! Pay what ever you feel comfortable paying! Collecting should be for your enjoyment, not for getting the biggest collection on the block.

:tiki:

D

On 2003-01-11 15:55, emspace wrote:

wondering why no real interest in these 2 Islander mugs? -

realize, its still early in the bidding process. in the last few nanoseconds, the price will probably go up ..

elicia

E

Sure 'nuff, somebody was waiting to pounce in the last moments, and scored. That's okay with me, I've done pretty well so far and was only looking for some tips. I have paid VERY reasonable prices for my faves: Mr. Bali Hai, Kahiki vase/mug, Trader Vic's and Kon-Tiki S&P sets, and assorted
Daga mugs, which is pretty much the backbone of my collection not counting Hawaiiana/lava-lavas etc. I too have vowed not to pay those outrageous prices, but when I see a Steve Crane or Ren Clark (actually I've never seen a Ren Clark)...it's enough to make we wanna take out a bank loan.

cheers,
emspace.

On 2003-01-11 20:10, Traderpup wrote:
Collecting should be for your enjoyment, not for getting the biggest collection on the block.

Unfortunatly, having the biggest collection on the block is my enjoyment (sick).

Bong--

Just get yourself one of those Swedish Tiki Enlargers...

:tiki:

I got me one of those Swedish enlargers, I didn't know they made one for tiki though?

T

Yeah, just stick your tiki in it.... and pump!

E

I tell you true: when I see think about owning the Ren Clark - I don't NEED an enlarger.

Okay, that was sick...

:^)
emspace

Pages: 1 11 replies