Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Florida Orlando area, need information please

Pages: 1 5 replies

Hello,

Matt & I are going to Florida in late July and I've been researching places to stay, things not to miss.

We'll definately check out the polynesian resort, walk around, have dinner there. And the Mai Kai sounds like it's not to be missed. I've never been to Florida, we live in California. We'll be hitting the theme parks and baseball, we always add another ballpark to our list when traveling!

I really just wondered if there was anything new, someplace cool to stay that isn't too expensive, we'll be so busy I don't want to spend much on a huge resort that we won't spend time in. We've got the tiki road trip book.

The posts I've found regarding this are pretty old so I thought I'd see if anyone has been there lately.

Thanks, I appreciate your input, we're really looking forward to checking out any Florida Tiki that is worth viewing.

(we have a great tiki bar at home, I'll post pics later, and tiki is taking over our house, it's great!)

Mookie

G

Yeah, I've been there lately. :wink:

Let's see... Here are the tiki highlights in Florida:

Hotels...

• Hawaiian Inn, Daytona. Check out the Polynesian show.
  • Best Western Aku Tiki Inn, Daytona.
  • Polynesian Resort, WDW.

Restaurants/bars...

• Mai-Kai. Need I say more? If you're into tiki at all (and it sounds like you are), DO NOT skip the last remaining mid-century tiki palace on the entire planet.
  • Jetsetter Lounge, Lake Worth. (Not too far from the Mai-Kai)
  • Julian's Dining Room and Lounge, Ormond Beach.
  • Waitiki, downtown Orlando.

Also... Wayne Coombs Mai Tiki studio in Cocoa Beach.

You can find all these places mentioned on Tiki Central if you do a search.

mai tiki studio in cocoa beach is a super short drive from orlando...plenty of inexpensive hotels to stay at in cocoa beach, right on the water front, near mai tiki...i suggest you call or email wayne combs at his studio and ask him where to stay that's near his gallery and inexpensive....he's always more than happy to help out a fellow tikiphile. he has a friend that rents out a little coach house behind her place and it's just down the street.....private entrance, patio, living room, kitchen, etc.....they even have a gazebo in the backyard that's screened in and full of parrots and birds......good luck!! otherwise there are also holiday inns, and such a little further down the road ....

Where in Florida are you planning on visiting?

Daytona is only about an hour(ish) from Orlando and the Hawaiian Inn is lots of fun. The black-light in the dinning room is not to be missed.

Down here in South Florida is, of course, the Mai-Kai. But we are about four hours south of the Orlando area. Not something you can just pop-in and see. Well worth the trip and there is a Day's Inn just a couple of blocks from the Mai-Kai. (Gator Rob, is it a Days Inn?)

Send up a signal flare when you get into the various areas and the local O'hana will meet you wherever you happen to be.

G

On 2007-02-14 18:01, Chip and Andy wrote:
But we are about four hours south of the Orlando area.

3 1/2 :)

Well worth the trip and there is a Day's Inn just a couple of blocks from the Mai-Kai. (Gator Rob, is it a Days Inn?)

Best Western Oakland Park. All the rooms were just renovated, so are sparkly new. Plus free wireless internet and free breakfast too.

Thanks, great suggestions. We definately will make it to all the great Tiki Spots we can. We want to hit a couple of Disney theme parks, we'll probably stay a few days there, drive south and stay south for a couple of days until we return home.

Got to hit the baseball park too... It will be a full week!!

I appreciate the info, I'll do some plotting and we'll have to book the air soon, hopefully not too expensive... Looks like Delta has some deals..

Pages: 1 5 replies