Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

A little bit of the South Pacific in the North Atlantic

Pages: 1 40 replies

Aloha New England Ohana!

I would like to invite you to a little “thing” at my place on March 3rd.

View the invitation at: http://www.geocities.com/strathkinnessjb/pityparty.pdf

This is an adult event – children will not fit in well.

Also, if you are allergic to cats, understand that I have one.

RSVPs are extremely welcome. I really need to know who to expect.

If you want information about lodging please let me know.

Mahalo!

..sbim

T

Because your wife is going to be away, is that why your "thing" is going to be so little? :D

It's always little.

:(

T

This party IS my bag, baby!

bump!

Damnit, a Saturday!

I'll be there as always in spirit.

Have a great time!

Sorry, it really is the only date that makes sense.

..sbim

Just to be clarifying... The Lava Lounge is my basement.
There is another Lava Lounge in Portland, but it is not tiki in any way imaginable. I just don't want people to be confused.

and mine came first.

..sbim

Bump.

And if anyone has suggestions as to the food and mixers, please to be letting me know.

I am prioritizing pork products for a variety of reasons. It's the year of the Boar, I'm PA Dutch, it's tasty, and it totally violates what you are supposed to do during Lent.

But of course there will be other items, especially for our veggie friends.

..sbim

S

Barring a disaster I will be there with a half-dozen tasty rums. If there's anything I can bring, please let me know.

T

Looking forward to this. Is there anything I can bring?

Tikisgrl

B

You know I'm up for the drive SB.

We'll bring ya a nice bottle of rot-gut. :wink:

I guess one question is if there are any particular drinks people want to experiment with that have unusual mixers.

I have some (75% of a bottle) Trader Vic's mai tai mix.
Black Currant syrup
Passionfruit syrup
Orgeat
typical sodas plus Moxie (heh heh)
pineapple juice
grenadine
club soda
honey
blue curacao
creme de cacao
grand marnier
triple sec
sloe gin
kahlua
allen's coffee flavored brandy (a maine staple)
vermouth
vodka
gin
brandy
bourbon

and several rums

I'll pick up grapefruit juice, orange juice and make fresh lime juice and simple syrup.

so if you want to make something that I dont have the ingredients for, let me know if I should pick them up or if you will bring them.

thanks!!

..sbim

sbim,
Wish I could make this one, but I have a previous engagement. I really want to meet everyone.
Keep an eye on your mail box. I just sent something to you today.... I whipped them up and you can hand them out to everyone at the party!
Have fun!
Lukeulele

Luke,
color me intrigued!
thanks in advance!

..sbim

On 2007-02-27 12:27, Suffering Bastard in Maine wrote:
Luke,
color me intrigued!
thanks in advance!

..sbim

You're welcome! It's no biggie...... just something fun and slightly cheesy! :D

Here's a request...

While I might have already told people not to worry too much about bringing something, there is something that is kind of important.

I hate coconut. And therefore I am not apt to make any food stuff of any kind with it. Nor do I have anything in the bar with coconut flavor.

However, I do recognize that it is a traditional polynesian flavor.

If you want to bring something with coconut, please do so.

thanks!

..sbim

I'll bring a coconut.

you forgot the word "bra"

weather update:

While we are supposed to get a nasty storm Friday, it will be gone by Friday night and the highs on Saturday afternoon are supposed to be in the mid-40's.

We also have excellent road clearing systems here in Portland.

However, you probably will want to wear shoes you aren't worried about getting wet or salty.

You won't have to walk far to get from the street to my house, but you are still likely to step in slush.

by the way, this is what the outside of my house looks like:

older photo/better angle:

newer photo:

Now you all have to come! What Luke sent is really cool and you will want one. :)

Thanks!

..sbim

You're killin' me here!!!!! :(

Please take many pictures. (Early, while people can still see straight) :)

B

And here's what the house looks like as of today....

Just crawl on thru that port-hole window there!

Heh heh.

Looking forward to it. See ya all tmrw!! (ps, I'm getting over a nasty cold, so take some airborne or stay away from me if you're nervous about such things)

[ Edited by: Bargoyle 2007-03-02 12:37 ]

S

Oh, this will all be melted by tomorrow night. No worries.

:)

it's sloppy out there right now. I think I am going to wait until tomorrow to clear the driveway and sidewalk. It's still raining.

So I am doing the other prep stuff like juicing limes, making simple syrup, making mango salsa and the like.

The only thing I havent bought yet is the ice. I figured I would wait until tomorrow for that.

However, if someone is planning on getting here close to 4:00, I could ask you to bring the ice. And if we run out, we can get more not a half mile away.

by the way, if you get lost, my number is 207-878-4126

--sbim

T

SBiM does this mean we are going to have a Moai building contest? Yay, you got some serious snow I'm so jealous!!! Looking forward to seeing everybody tomorrow & special presents also!

Tikisgrl

Well on one note, the picture Bargoyle posted isn't actually my house. Just to be clear.

But it will be too warm and wet to build Moais in the yard. I pity the foo who trys.

..sbim

J

Hello All
Would love to go to the SBIM Event - I am sure it will be great!

[ Edited by: jpmartdog 2007-03-03 20:23 ]

J

Hope you all have a great time. I'll be hanging in little RI this weekend and won't be able to make it.

Ahhh.
It feels good to have broken in the Lava Lounge finally!

Big thanks to everyone who showed - Bargoyle and Jess, Pappy, Tikisgrl and Scottes from TC - and the other local folks who came over as well (including the likely next member of Congress from southern Maine).

And thank you all for your kind barwarming gifts! Pappy, thanks so much for helping to clean up and leaving so quietly in the morning. :) by the way, 9 AM IS early on a Sunday for me.

I did take some pictures, but since I am going to be in Ohio the next several days, I won't be able to upload them until Thursday.

Luke, everybody loved the buttons. Thanks again!

Now I gotta finish putting stuff away before I jetset to Columbus.

..sbim

B

Hey SB, thanks for a great shindig! We had a blast. Good to see everyone.

Safe voyage to Ohio.

S

Many thanks SB. Good bar, good friends, good drinks, great night!

T

It was great seeing everyone again! SBiM the Lava Lounge is fabulous, thanks for a wonderful evening in a great Tiki Joint.

Tikisgrl

Thanks for the great time, SB. The Lava Lounge is great.

T

Oops, I forgot to say thanks to Luke for the cute pins!

Tikisgrl

S

Oh yeah! Those pins are great. I got a kick out of them - how'd you fit all that stuff on a tiny pin? Great work!

L

On 2007-03-05 16:52, Scottes wrote:
Oh yeah! Those pins are great. I got a kick out of them - how'd you fit all that stuff on a tiny pin? Great work!

Glad you all liked them! I dug up my old button machine that I had when I was a kid and discovered they still made the parts for it! So with my "enough to be dangerous" knowledge of Photoshop, I've been having some fun with it!
For those of you who haven't seen it....

The image was snagged from "The Tikis" matchbook cover.

Ok, now for the incriminating photographs.

Pappy was kind enough to dress like a Mainer with his Elmer Fudd hat. Real Mainers Chris and Ben also getting the party started.

Dianne, Alison and Scottes

Tikisgrl and my friend Doug.

Pappy's starting to feel the power of the Lava Lounge.

A bunch of Mainahs (including Chellie Pingree, the likely next member of Congress from Maine)

Bargoyle and Jess, with Pappy making a drink.

Bargoyle takes matters into his own hands.

J

Man am I sad I missed out on this. Glad you guys had a great time!

Mahalo SBIM for sharing your pics!!! :)

Yes, thanks for the pics!

Place looks great SBM!

Pages: 1 40 replies