Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

need help with a home bar identification

Pages: 1 7 replies

S

My home bar (still a work in the very early stages!) Is almost exactly like the one here on e-bay-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2001&item=2152901083

I was wondering if anyone could help me identify the manufacturer and time period it's from?

Thanks!

Well, this is purely my own UNprofessional opinion on bars like the one you have listed by Beachdude:

I have a similar bar like the one listed above. As for manufacturer...that's a real tough one for bamboo bars unless it is actually branded or tagged somewhere on the bar.
One of the common factors on verified pre-mid-'60's bamboo bars that I have noticed like this one and mine in my home is that a large percentage of them had the small pull out cutting board for cutting garnishes for drinks and the additional storage drawer for bar accessories. Yes, it can be reproduced, but for some reason, I have yet to see a bamboo bar maker, either local or overseas, make the pullout cutting board as small as they did pre-1965.
Some experienced woodworkers/carvers/custom cabinet makers can tell the age of some wood and/or joints, so if you care to go that far ask a local pro to take a look.

Again, this is strictly from my personal observation/investigation on bamboo bars.

SugarCaddyDaddy

This Daddy's Caddy & The Tiki Transporter

Hmmm...I should have been TraderFrank

[ Edited by: sugarcaddydaddy on 2003-01-11 19:01 ]

Whoa! Thanks for sharing that auction listing! I have that exact same style bar, that I bought at a swap meet a few years back for $30.... nice to know its appreciated to almost $1000!!!

:tiki:

G
GECKO posted on Sat, Jan 11, 2003 9:14 PM

oh yes, the beauty of vintage rattan furniture also known own Hawaii as art deco. Traderpup...$30!! that was a steel!!! If the sticker of the Filipino Manifacture is still on it, that will make it worth even more. I'm a collector of vintage rattan also.

Rattan is solid and bamboo is hallow. So, if you are making a bar it's most likely bamboo.

All vintage rattan that is collected is the stuff made in the phillipines. If you go to alohacruz.net and click onto the RATTAN for sell, you will see the beautiful vintage hard to get stuff they have. Their is a very good book out right now on vintage rattan. I lent it out so I don't have the name. it is for sure worth getting the book if you're into rattan. I can talk about rattan all day so if you have any ?, just ask.

Bamboo is grass.

Rattan is wood.

Peace and may Aloha (gecko) be with you!

Yo Rev! I know you know about grass, cause Bong told me. But what you know about WOOD? I'll see you soon ULTRA drinker!

Rattan is made from the stems of certain climbing palms ('rattan palms'). Both bamboos and rattan palms are monocots and no monocots produce true wood.

The stems of bamboo and rattan are easy to tell apart. Bamboo stems have thickened nodes that resemble rings, and the internodes (the space between the rings) are often channeled. Rattan stems are smoother, and more uniform in thickness. Bamboo cross sections are hollow, except at the nodes, wheras rattan stems are filled with a fibrous pith (they're solid).

[email protected]
http://www.tikigardens.com

On 2003-01-11 21:43, RevBambooBen wrote:
Bamboo is grass.

Rattan is wood.

Peace and may Aloha (gecko) be with you!

G

eh bradda Franks, you wen use some big kahuna words, can translate it piegon? I jus talkin funny bro(just messin'with ya)

HO! bradda Ben, you wen get one visectamey(sp?)Owwweeee....cannot call you BAM-BooBen no mo cuz! just BooBen cus no mo BAM BAM fo you! at least fo a couple weeks ya...hehehe!

just as pirates had wooden legs bra, u can make yourself a bamboo nut ya! dat way you wen get 2 again!

I feel fo ya bra!

P.S
Ben u no hav to be Hawaiian fo talk piegon, piegon is part of da Aloha Spirit, what you and half da peopo I met here already have.

We get all kine peopo speak piegon here on da islands, white, black, asian, etc...

shootz

Pages: 1 7 replies