Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

'07 Big Lots Tiki

Pages: 1 24 replies

Big Lots got in a large batch of new tiki stuff today. Some of it is much better quality than previous years. The ceramic torch/lamp is really cool. There were a few different tin signs & resin items like the planters below. These were all $8 each except the sign which was $5.

NO Tikis @ Maryland "Big Lots"

Took a 20 min. drive to our local "Big Lots" & ZIP/Zero Tikis.
They had all the Spring/Summer patio stuff already out on
the floor. Well at least it was worth a try. That ceramic piece
pic that was posted was COOl!

Thortiki

I bought two of those planters, and the faux bamboo table top fountain (same as last years Target model).

There was also a very nice Tiki Bar sign all done in bamboo. They had those taller Tikis that are reminiscent of the Disney one that someone painted on another thread.

I love the idea of the ceramic torch/lamp, but I hate the look of that particular Tiki, and couldn't think of a way to disguise it.

[ Edited by: The Granite Tiki 2007-02-18 11:45 ]

On 2007-02-18 11:44, The Granite Tiki wrote:
I love the idea of the ceramic torch/lamp, but I hate the look of that particular Tiki

I feel the same way.

Nice post, caffeinated,
I'll have to check out my local Big Lots. Can't go wrong for the price.

R

On 2007-02-18 11:21, Thortiki wrote:
NO Tikis @ Maryland "Big Lots"

Took a 20 min. drive to our local "Big Lots" & ZIP/Zero Tikis.
They had all the Spring/Summer patio stuff already out on
the floor. Well at least it was worth a try. That ceramic piece
pic that was posted was COOl!
Thortiki

No Tiki @ central VA Big Lots either. Hopefully they will get some in later.

No tiki at the Newburgh, NY Big Lots either, although the patio furniture and bamboo fountains are out. They got the stuff last year, so I'm hopeful we'll see some after they clear out the St. Patrick's and Easter stuff.

Ewwww...

For New Yorkers who are interested, the Big Lots store in Newburgh has started to get this year's tiki items in. I've found it comes in waves there, so no doubt they'll get more later, but they have put a few things out.

I

Big Lots has released a new tiki fountain this year - I have posted pictures of it on thos other Big Lots thread.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=22964&forum=12

Vern

Thanks for the heads up on Big Lots...My wife and went over there last night..(now that's a quality Friday night for ya)..and I picked up the tiki planters, the ceramic tiki table torch, a solar tiki (the eyes light at night, I doubt it works!) some netting with shells attached to it, a shell wind chime and some napkins and paper plates (party anyone!) with a tropical scene and a parrot......under 100 bucks and brought me 1,000 dollares worth of joy. (well it sounded good)

UJ

I went buy the local Big Lots today and saw that they had their Tiki itemns out. LOL Actually I went in there for other reasons and forgot about this thread. Anyways besides the ones mentioned above, they have the Solar tiki from last year and the pele "inspired" statue as well. I don't know if these where left-overs from last year or not. After seeing the Pele customizing I saw last year, I might just go back for himn and those planters.

Has anybody seen the tiki cheese spreading knives yet? I have a set and I put them away next to my tiki corn holders.

I didn't see the butter knife, lol, but they had little tiki tablecloth clip on holders....

R

Scored the Pele knock-off and a couple of the solsr tikis plus one of each of the planter designs. Mahalo to Velveteen for the telephonic alert yesterday. I guess if this stuff made it's way to Newburgh and Allentown it should just about have reached everyone by now.

For us east coasters how sad that Target and Big Lots are our "tki hunting grounds".

checked the local chicago big lots...nothin yet.

Big Lots on Pearl Street in Tacoma, WA has their stuff out. LOTS of Pele statues, half a dozen table top lamps, same amounts of the fountain and solar tiki.

T

On 2007-03-04 20:41, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

The wahine said the local Big Lots now has tiki stuff. She brought home a couple of planters.

On 2007-03-05 07:51, tedtiki wrote:

On 2007-03-04 20:41, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

The wahine said the local Big Lots now has tiki stuff. She brought home a couple of planters.

local?? are you kidding me...you folks are in springfield, if i'm not mistaken....nowhere near the chicago big lots.....i'll keep an eye out though, thanks!!

I found this Solar Powered Tiki at Big Lots tonight for $20. The eyes glow after the Tiki has been exposed to the sunlight.

I hope I don't come off sounding like some sort of Tiki elitist, but I took a trip across the US/Canada line to go to the the Big Lots near me. I like big lots, and I bought the Disneyland style resin tiki they had last year(they have it this year too), and with a paint job it looks kinda' cool in the garden, as one TC member has shown a while back, but I've got to say that almost all of the 2007 Big-Lots tiki stuff looks really crappy.

It all has a real junky China plastic tiki look to it. I've bought and have got my share of junk tiki, but my new criteria when I buy any tiki item, including mugs even, is, would this piece look at home in an old Trader Vic's or Kahiki (you name the tiki bar)? Would this piece possibly be found at an any cool old tiki bar, if it were a vintage tiki item, even if it is not? The answer is no to practically everything at the big lots. I don't want my tiki space to look like a Hawaiian Bud Light Tiki-themed commercial, loaded with cheap looking tiki crap, although the beer babes might be nice. Instead, I am striving to more of an exotic and lush tiki atmosphere.

I find when I apply this criteria to my mug collecting as well, you realize that most of the new mugs look pretty crappy, and us tikiphiles buy many of them just for the sake of having the latest junk mug made by whoever, but let's face it, 85% of new tiki mugs out there are really junky and crappy looking and add to tiki space non-cool junk-clutter and detract from the far-away-lands tiki vibe I now desire and appreciate. I guess after wasting enough money on junk tiki, I am finally starting to wise-up. If it is a new mug and I'm afraid to drink out of it because it is a limited number this or made to limited group that, or cost me too much money, then maybe I don't really need it and have just got caught up in Beanie-baby-tiki-itis. I am starting to realize there is a difference between cool kitsch and junky worthless clutter crap. The difference may not even be in what you pay. That is my rant for the night. :)

R

Different strokes for different folks.

Maybe we could dub this stuff "Trailer Tiki". Even if you don't like it the stuff has it's own kitschiness (real word?).

On 2007-03-06 23:31, tikiriffic wrote:
I hope I don't come off sounding like some sort of Tiki elitist, but I took a trip across the US/Canada line to go to the the Big Lots near me. I like big lots, and I bought the Disneyland style resin tiki they had last year(they have it this year too), and with a paint job it looks kinda' cool in the garden, as one TC member has shown a while back, but I've got to say that almost all of the 2007 Big-Lots tiki stuff looks really crappy.

It all has a real junky China plastic tiki look to it. I've bought and have got my share of junk tiki, but my new criteria when I buy any tiki item, including mugs even, is, would this piece look at home in an old Trader Vic's or Kahiki (you name the tiki bar)? Would this piece possibly be found at an any cool old tiki bar, if it were a vintage tiki item, even if it is not? The answer is no to practically everything at the big lots. I don't want my tiki space to look like a Hawaiian Bud Light Tiki-themed commercial, loaded with cheap looking tiki crap, although the beer babes might be nice. Instead, I am striving to more of an exotic and lush tiki atmosphere.

I find when I apply this criteria to my mug collecting as well, you realize that most of the new mugs look pretty crappy, and us tikiphiles buy many of them just for the sake of having the latest junk mug made by whoever, but let's face it, 85% of new tiki mugs out there are really junky and crappy looking and add to tiki space non-cool junk-clutter and detract from the far-away-lands tiki vibe I now desire and appreciate. I guess after wasting enough money on junk tiki, I am finally starting to wise-up. If it is a new mug and I'm afraid to drink out of it because it is a limited number this or made to limited group that, or cost me too much money, then maybe I don't really need it and have just got caught up in Beanie-baby-tiki-itis. I am starting to realize there is a difference between cool kitsch and junky worthless clutter crap. The difference may not even be in what you pay. That is my rant for the night. :)

yahoo!!! ..now that makes 2 of us that notice the emporer isn't wearing any clothes!!

K
Kenike posted on Wed, Mar 7, 2007 7:30 PM

Has anyone picked up that tiki fountain with the halogen lights? I'm curious to see how that one works.

The Pele statue and the glowing eyes tiki are the same ones Big Lot's had last year.

Those planters look kinda cool...I might pick up a set of those.

M

Tiki has returned to Big Lots for the '08 season, the one I looked at seemed to have the usual suspects (skirts, plastic bowls, torches, etc.) and left overs from last year.

Pages: 1 24 replies